Best Military Watchqualities required

37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Griff

Tourbillon

• 11,992 posts
  • Joined 23-February 03
  • Interests:Books, maps, RSPB, clay pigeon shooter, karate, driving, walking, touring, travel.

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:42 PM

What is, or could be the best military watch, and why?
From a certain other thread, I would suggest a Seiko BM would be a bad choice.........too big, too heavy.......too clumsy.
I can see why a black polycarbonate case would be good, and therefore why a Traser would be a good choice.
I'm sure price would be a factor also, so the SMP would probably be ruled out.
I think a non battery watch would be my choice, and I would lean towards a titanium Citizen Eco Drive chrono.
I'm sure they do one.............dont they!!??? ohmy.gif huh.gif smile.gif
Without chrono I'd pick a O & W M5 or the PRS17 A

#2 OFFLINE   PhilM

Equation of Time

• 19,479 posts
  • Joined 05-November 04
  • Interests:Being the forum 'Validation Monitor'..

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

Marathon SAR, they seem to be pretty solid watches smile.gif

What about the good old G10 wink.gif

#3 OFFLINE   mat

Automatic

• Member*
  • 432 posts
  • Joined 25-February 03
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Physics, Music (mostly rock)

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:08 PM

Unfortunatly I'd pick a G-Shock, especially after reading about Nuno Gomes. Personally, I can't see the benefit of solar or kinetic over a 10 year battery. tongue.gif
If I was choosing a mechanical, it might well be a Vostok Amphibia with their tough acrylic crystals, 200m water resistance and price. smile.gif

cheers,

mat

#4 OFFLINE   Stan

Equation of Time

• Retired Moderator
  • 15,779 posts
  • Joined 07-August 03

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:59 PM

Interesting question but do we approach it from the point of view of the MoD or a serving member of the forces for personal requirement?

The two may be rather different.

Many of the young people I know serving at the moment choose a G-Shock of some kind but the MoD will procure what it feels is the right tool to issue for a particular type of job.

Why did the MoD need a watch like the G10 WWEGS? They are not waterproof to a great degree are they? They are waterproof enough for personnel who’s other equipment meets the needs of “general operations” though. How waterproof were the watches that soldiers took to battle in WW1?

The MoD needed a watch like the G10 to be rugged (they are if properly maintained), reliable and accurate (good quality quartz movement). To be easy to use, hacking seconds and knowing the MoD, good value for the tax payer.

I doubt there would be one watch suitable for every job that the forces will find themselves called in to do.

Just my opinion. wink.gif

#5 OFFLINE   raketakat

Minute Repeater

• Member*
  • 4,021 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:15 PM

Something from the Lorus "lumibrite dial" range for me blink.gif , or a Casio.

I don't trust the government to do much right. I certainly wouldn't let them choose my watch for me nono.gif .

The G10 is out of date and unfit for purpose IMO.

#6 OFFLINE   James

Perpetual Calendar

• 6,339 posts
  • Joined 17-July 06

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:23 PM

Kind of wide open you leaving it. Myself I honestly prefer the 67-69 Benrus.

As far as new, Marathon SAR auto with tritium tubes built to last but the tubes do have a half live I believe about 12-15 years

#7 OFFLINE   raketakat

Minute Repeater

• Member*
  • 4,021 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE(Stan @ Oct 11 2006, 04:59 PM) View Post

How waterproof were the watches that soldiers took to battle in WW1?

Surely only the officers could afford them then wink.gif .

#8 OFFLINE   ESL

Minute Repeater

• Member*
  • 3,534 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(raketakat @ Oct 11 2006, 06:15 PM) View Post

I don't trust the government to do much right. I certainly wouldn't let them choose my watch for me nono.gif .

What purpose whould that be, John?
huh.gif

A tough piece of kit, that can be relied upon to tell the time under just about any conditions? Look as though it fits the bill to me.

#9 OFFLINE   Stan

Equation of Time

• Retired Moderator
  • 15,779 posts
  • Joined 07-August 03

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(raketakat @ Oct 11 2006, 06:24 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Stan @ Oct 11 2006, 04:59 PM) View Post

How waterproof were the watches that soldiers took to battle in WW1?

Surely only the officers could afford them then wink.gif .

The trench wristlets probably but most watches then would certainly have been of the pocket variety. There were many "good value" pocket watches made in the UK and USA in those days and I suspect a lot of soldiers had a watch in the trenches (for as long as they lasted). sad.gif

Just found this specification for WW1 German pattern U-4 trousers, note the watch pocket.

"U-4. Trousers (Tuchose)

A. Cloth Trousers (Foot Troops):

Made of field grey, grey green (Jäger, Jäger zu Pferde, Stabsordonnanzen, and MG Battalions only), or stone grey wool or wool blend material.

May or may not have piping. If piped, they must be piped along the outside seam in the color appropriate to the unit portrayed. Piping diameter will not exceed 4mm.

Must have 2 slanted front pocket slits with internal pocket pouches.

Must have an internal watch pocket.

Will be cut high waisted and have an adjusting belt with buckle across the rear lower waist-line (side seam to side seam).

If permitted by unit standards, corduroy trousers (called Manchesterhosen) matching the same criteria may be worn. They may be grey, field grey, brown, or black and made of medium or fine wale corduroy."

Perhaps British issued trousers had a watch pockt also?

#10 OFFLINE   raketakat

Minute Repeater

• Member*
  • 4,021 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(ESL @ Oct 11 2006, 05:27 PM) View Post

QUOTE(raketakat @ Oct 11 2006, 06:15 PM) View Post

What purpose whould that be, John?
huh.gif

I've never been in the army George, but I try and use my feeble imagination wink.gif .

I would be looking for something that would be clearly legible, at a glance, in darkness.

The G10 may be a stereotypical, classic, military watch but doesn't do it for me.

#11 OFFLINE   James

Perpetual Calendar

• 6,339 posts
  • Joined 17-July 06

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:51 PM

Yea on the subject of trench watches very collectable just depends your needs out of it and no they were not waterprrof why it's so hard to find one that was in use still about. trench pieces do look stunning and you will always have lookers asking what is that............

IPB Image

#12 OFFLINE   bry1975

Minute Repeater

• 3,320 posts
  • Joined 06-February 04

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:54 PM

tongue.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

IPB Image

#13 OFFLINE   ESL

Minute Repeater

• Member*
  • 3,534 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

Funnily enough, I was in for 10 years and saw a fair bit of shit, and the funny bit was that our stores never used to like issuing the watches they had. laugh.gif

However based on my personal experience:

steel bodied - absolute must for durability

fixed bars - ditto (the times I have popped springbars is just not funny)

acryilic crystal - (the times i have bashed watch cyrstals etc. etc)

reliable lume - note - not bright. In modern warfare, the last thing you need is a friggin lighthouse on your wrist - with basic night vision and image intensifier gear these days, you will be seen from miles away and find yourself wearing a wooden box before you can say "Hmmm time for a cuppa". And I did say reliable - so for me, that rules out GTLS. They are little glass tubes and are not shock proof - I know, I have had a watch with them in and broke one (and I was not serving either!). Ordinary lume is maintenance free and won't break - show it some sunlight and it works.

strong, fabric strap - yes, I know they get minging, but they are generally less sweaty, you just about can't break 'em and you can always wash em when the wabi level gets outrageous!

clear, utterly unambiguous time display - when you REALLY need to know the time in military "situations", it's generally bloody important! Analogue displays are proven to be more instinctive and most people can just glance at an analogue clock face and almost subliminally know what time it is, or the time difference between now and the last time they looked. Complex or even some non complex digital displays, nearly always require you to conciously "read" the time, before your brain processess the information.

For me, a very good miitary watch (lume apart) might be an Omega Seamaster SM300, black version, in quartz, with an acryilic crystal, fixed bars and a ballistic nylon strap

Failing that - I would have a G10

wink.gif

#14 OFFLINE   mach 0.0013137

Atomic Clock

• 29,111 posts
  • Joined 10-January 05

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

I`ve never been in the military but considering how this has survived years of abuse hammer.gif

Citizen 150m Diver c1970`s, Citizen `8200` Series, 21 Jewels
IPB Image

I`d suggest a Citizen eg a black dialed version of this...

Citizen Dolphin Divers, NH8050-01LT, cal8200 21 Jewels
IPB Image

Or with a Nato strap this....

Citizen Blue Eagle, NH6600-54FB, Miyota 8200 Series 21 Jewels
IPB Image

OK I appreciate that the Blue Eagle might appear to be an odd choice but it has tight fit screw in bars, some protection for the crystal and despite it`s looks is practical to wear, athough it`s led a shelterd life I`m certain it could put up with knocks in the field gunsmilie.gif

Edited by mach 0.0013137, 11 October 2006 - 06:20 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Stan

Equation of Time

• Retired Moderator
  • 15,779 posts
  • Joined 07-August 03

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(ESL @ Oct 11 2006, 07:13 PM) View Post

Funnily enough, I was in for 10 years and saw a fair bit of shit, and the funny bit was that our stores never used to like issuing the watches they had. laugh.gif

Sgt. Titus Aduckass of QM stores I'll bet. laugh.gif laugh.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users