Swiss Emperor

6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   skyway

Manual Wind

• 96 posts
  • Joined 29-October 05
  • Interests:Cars and Girls (not in that order)

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hi.

Recently whilst clearing out my mother in laws stuff we found this very nice Swiss Emperor watch which turned out to be my wifes Grandfathers.

I have tried to find information about them on the 'net but apart from a few turning up on ebay at wildly fluctuating prices we pretty much draw a blank!

Does anyone know anything about them?

Im not interested in selling as it is a family heirloom (of sorts) but I would be interested to find out wether they are a brand that is sort after or wether it is just a generic watch brand from the 40s/50s?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

IPB Image

#2 OFFLINE   quoll

Chronograph

• 1,164 posts
  • Joined 20-April 06

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

I am not going to claim to be an expert, but I have had one or two Swiss Emperors. That one you have there is very nice - late 50s to mid 60s at a guess from the styling. Probably the 50s with the subseconds.

They are not particularly sought-after, but are a good mid-range Swiss manufacturer that collapsed, along with so many others, in the quartz revolution in the 70s and early 80s. As far as I know they were not a 'manufacture' - i.e. they used bought-in movements. The ones I had were FHF and AS movements as far as I remember. I would guess yours is an FHF.

Nothing, of course, can replace the history of that watch to your family, so its value to you is greater than its market value I suspect.

#3 OFFLINE   pg tips

Equation of Time

• Retired Moderator
  • 18,651 posts
  • Joined 16-May 03
  • Interests:mainly milf really

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:24 PM

I am fairly certain that "Swiss Emperor" was a brand name used for watches sold by the H Samuel chain of High Street jewellers in the UK during the 60s and 70s.

#4 OFFLINE   quoll

Chronograph

• 1,164 posts
  • Joined 20-April 06

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:30 PM

"Everite" certainly was - but I had not heard that of Swiss Emperor before. I'm not disputing it though...

#5 OFFLINE   Stan

Equation of Time

• Retired Moderator
  • 15,773 posts
  • Joined 07-August 03

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:26 PM

Excalibur was also one of Harriet Samuel's brands. smile.gif

#6 OFFLINE   jasonm

Equation of Time

• 23,309 posts
  • Joined 22-November 03
  • Interests:Anything with a pulse....

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:47 AM

I love the numeral font smile.gif

#7 OFFLINE   MarkF

Perpetual Calendar

• Member*
  • 9,710 posts
  • Joined 05-July 03

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE(pg tips @ Oct 2 2006, 10:24 PM) View Post

I am fairly certain that "Swiss Emperor" was a brand name used for watches sold by the H Samuel chain of High Street jewellers in the UK during the 60s and 70s.

I had a Swiss Emperor chrono with a Valjoux movement, I posted a pic on here about a year or so ago and somebody stated that it was a high street branded product.

Weirdly, I had people from the US fighting over it when I came to sell it on the bay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users