Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:50 AM

SEIKO PROSPEX LANDMASTER AUTO TITANIUM 200M

Ref. No. - SBDX007; introduced in 2002
Diameter - 42mm (excluding crown)
Lug width - 20mm
Thickness - 15mm

Packaging
------------
The watch arrived in a Seiko Prospex padded box about 5"x5"x3.5" height decorated in the usual Seiko Prospex grey and yellow lettering. The inside of the box is lined in a grey velvety type cloth and bordered in yellow. Two instruction manuals are included (1 standard Seiko diver manual and 1 specially for the Landmaster) and warranty card also also included in the box.

Movement
------------
The Landmaster utilizes an in-house 26 jewel 8L35 28,800bph auto movement with upto 50 hours operating time on a full wind with hack feature, manual wind and quickset date. Loss/gain +15 seconds ~ -10 seconds. This is the same movement used in some models of Seiko's higher end "Grand Seiko" models.

Case, Crown & Bezel
------------------------
The Landmaster has a one-piece case design i.e. there is no case back for superior water resistance and extreme weather strength. The downside of this
is the watch can only be serviced by Seiko Japan as the movement is accessed from the top by removing the bezel and crystal. The case and watch bracelet is made of Seikos own special Brigtz titanium (Seiko's special titanium alloy) which is brighter in color and harder and better scratch resistance than the the normal titanium. The case itself is something to behold. The contours are angular yet curved and straight with gently sloping areas all combined to give a very smooth fuss-free design with just the right amounts of brushed and polished areas. Very classy.

The crown is an easy to grip polished item. I feel would lend a touch more class if it was signed.

user posted image

The Landmaster was primarily designed as a explorers watch so it suitably carries a compass bezel. Its easy to grip and does not ratchet turning both clockwise and anti-clockwise. It silky smooth and silent almost as if riding on a teflon ring. The bezel is cast in titanium and the compass markings are etched very crisply and legibly. Black paint is applied cleanly into the markings making it even more easier to read with light reflecting off it. The bezel is marked with South, East and West and 15 degree intervals in between. Instead of a North marking a luminous round marker is embedded in its place and sitting flush. The compass itself is quite simple to use. In the Northern hemispere it works as follows: point the hour hand towards the sun and align the South bezel marker half way between the hour hand marking and 12 O'clock on the dial. North is then shown accordingly on the bezel.

Owners of the Landmaster can also engrave their personal details on the back of the watch. For example John Smith, Nationality: British, Blood Type: +AB, Birthday 1st January 1960 can be inscribed as J.S / UK, +AB / 01-01-60. Another neat feature for explorers during rescues when the wearer is incapable of communicating.

user posted image

Furthermore, the Landmaster is also anti-magnetic up to 4,800A/m. Water resistance is rated only to 200m thus not suitable as a serious diving tool.

Dial, Hands & Crystal
------------------------
Everything about dial and hands on this watch work together perfectly and in harmony presenting a very clear and legible dial. The jet black dial, raised hour markers, minute markers on the chapter ring and Seiko's own rendering of "sword hands" is simply perfect. This is one watch that is easy to read in any lighting conditions. Even the hours markers (coated in Lumibrite) are outlined in shiny metal which reflects the light adding to the legibility. I can't think of anything I would want to change on this dial.

user posted image

The crystal is sapphire unlike the more common Hardlex used in other Seikos.

Bracelet & Clasp
-------------------
The Landmaster is sold with a solid link bracelet of brushed and polished titanium. The links are quite flexible making the watch very comfortable. Links are held by pins and collors (same system on Orange Monster) so adjustments are quite fiddly. The sides of the bracelet are also polished and the end pieces are solid at 20mm diameter.

user posted image

The clasp is push button with safety flip lock and hidden extension activated by the flip lock for use over wet suits or, more suitably I suspect, cold weather clothing. Its not as smooth or in my opinion as well made as the newer clasps found on the Seiko Monster. TITANIUM-G ALLOY is stamped on the inside of the clasp.

Impressions & my personal opinions
------------------------------------------
The Seiko Landmaster is a very comfortable watch to wear. The titanium is not overly light, probably due to the mass of the watch. Its got just the right amount of polished areas. Its extremly legible and the movement is first rate. Over a period of one week whilst putting this review together, I timed the LM against the Official US time check. Results: -6seconds. Pretty respectable I think.

Seiko have produced a very special albeit much underrated watch in the Landmaster. Its extremly well made with lots of special features and design thought. Potential buyers should also give it a serious look and not pass over it in favor Tags Heaurs, Breitlings and Omegas. This is a watch that can keep up with
the best and after owning both the Marinemaster and Landmaster, I am more convinced that would these timepieces been carrying a Swiss label, they would
be selling for hundreds of dollars more.

And finally for those who ask "Which is better, the Landmaster or Marinemaster?", well here's what you get:

Landmaster Marinemaster
Movement 8L35 8L35
Construction Titanium alloy Stainless steel
Crystal Sapphire Hardlex
Water Resistance 200 meters 300 meters
Weight (approx) 150g 210g

user posted image

Each are superb watches in their own right and built to handle extreme enviroments, however being a scuba diver myself and a lover of all things
associated with the sea, I admit I am biased more towards the Marinemaster. Its just more me.

Thanks for reading smile.gif

#2 OFFLINE   JonW

Perpetual Calendar

• 9,217 posts
  • Joined 23-March 05

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:03 AM

Interesting, nice one mate!

Makes u wonder why Seiko didnt build a second time zone into the LM if its an explorers tool, after all explorers are by default 'away from home'....

#3 OFFLINE   pauluspaolo

Perpetual Calendar

• Member*
  • 6,280 posts
  • Joined 24-February 03
  • Interests:Cars
    Theatre
    Watches
    Bikes - pedalled variety

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:11 AM

I've worn Mr Crowleys Landmaster in the past (before he sold it) and think it's the best titanium watch I've ever worn - nice solid chunky feel, with impeccable build quality too. I'd have bought if I'd had the money at the time - not sure I could have lived with the bezel for long though (sorry to harp on about it but they are a pet hate of mine on watches).

I believe there was a kinetic LM and I'm pretty sure that that had a GMT hand.

That's a great review of a lovely watch Hakim thumbup.gif

#4 OFFLINE   JoT

Atomic Clock

• 26,127 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03
  • Interests:Watches, Rugby, Industrial History

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:49 AM

Great review Hakim, and a great watch yes.gif

I have to agree with Jon, a 24 hour hand for a second time zone and easier use of the compass bezel would have made even better.

#5 ONLINE   ESL

Minute Repeater

• Member*
  • 3,526 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:57 PM

Very good review of a bloody nice watch Hakim. I would be really hard pushed to resist one of those if it became available.

heart.gif

#6 OFFLINE   hakim

Chronograph

• 1,292 posts
  • Joined 13-September 04

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the comments guys! smile.gif

It would have been more useful to have a 24hr hand I guess even though it would have cluttered up the dial somewhat.

Classy watch without being flashy huh.gif laugh.gif

#7 OFFLINE   Griff

Tourbillon

• 11,992 posts
  • Joined 23-February 03
  • Interests:Books, maps, RSPB, clay pigeon shooter, karate, driving, walking, touring, travel.

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:11 AM

Impressive watch and write up.
The down side for me is the one piece case. If there had been a fine adjustment screw between the lugs for regulation.....fair enough.......but without such the case would just do me 'ed in
The bezel is a bit too much of

Edited by Griff, 31 January 2006 - 09:12 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   sparmar1

Quartz

• 13 posts
  • Joined 27-August 05

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:40 PM

Great review smile.gif I've always fancied getting a Landmaster but been put off by the Ti case, however, still seems fairly hefty looking at the weight comparisom with the MM. Mmmmmm may have to put it back on the list biggrin.gif

Sanjay

#9 OFFLINE   JoT

Atomic Clock

• 26,127 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:42 PM

After many months of looking I finally managed to get my hands on one punk.gif

Can't add anything to Hakim's excellent review, except the polished titanium compass bezel is a beauty biggrin.gif

Sorry about the monogrammed shirt tongue.gif

#10 Guest_Timetraveller_*

• Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:34 PM

tongue2.gif loving it

#11 OFFLINE   hakim

Chronograph

• 1,292 posts
  • Joined 13-September 04

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:42 AM

Nice on John! Congrats! smile.gif

Sold mine off ages ago and miss it somewhat msn-cry.gif .....usual story huh.gif

#12 OFFLINE   JoT

Atomic Clock

• 26,127 posts
  • Joined 12-August 03

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE(hakim @ May 22 2007, 06:42 AM) View Post
Sold mine off ages ago and miss it somewhat msn-cry.gif .....usual story huh.gif

We NEVER learn!

The pleasure and pain of being a WIS biggrin.gif

#13 OFFLINE   Bri

Moon Phase

• 665 posts
  • Joined 02-November 06

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:14 PM

Great review but the Marinemaster you show is something else. Off to start looking for one.

#14 OFFLINE   JOHNB

Automatic

• 256 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:25 PM

Great review, Ive got the Marinemaster and Im not sure which I prefer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users