Pc Processor Upgrading..will I need a beefier heatsink and fan?

12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Roamer Man

Moon Phase

• 784 posts
  • Joined 25-May 11
  • Interests:Not sport! But most other things..

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

Mine is a Compaq Presario with an entry level Athlon II x2 which is a 65 watt processor. As the socket is AM3 it'll take some quite fast upgrade processors. I was thinking of either the Athlon triple core 460, or the quad core 600e. The trouble is the 460 generates 95 watts, whereas the 600e only 65 watts. Of course the 460 has the edge on the 600e because the clockspeed is 3MHz against the 600e which runs at 2.2MHz.

Oddly enough the faster 460 processor is cheaper to buy at the moment, so I'm tempted to go for it, but will I need to spend a fortune on a more powerful fan and heat sink? Doh..

My power supply is 300 wattts.

#2 OFFLINE   trackrat

Moon Phase

• 796 posts
  • Joined 23-January 12

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

If you buy the retail chip, it comes with the HSF.
My concern would be with the PSU only being 300W, you would need to upgrade that and buying a cheap 500w-600w PSU is a false economy, so you would be looking at £40 + for a decent one.Something like this would be suitable and give you a bit of headroom for anything else later on.
http://www.overclock...123&subcat=1103

#3 OFFLINE   Roamer Man

Moon Phase

• 784 posts
  • Joined 25-May 11

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

View Posttrackrat, on 08 March 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

If you buy the retail chip, it comes with the HSF.
My concern would be with the PSU only being 300W, you would need to upgrade that and buying a cheap 500w-600w PSU is a false economy, so you would be looking at £40 + for a decent one.Something like this would be suitable and give you a bit of headroom for anything else later on.
http://www.overclock...123&subcat=1103

I guess that's the 'PIB' tag, then? I didn't realise they came complete with HSF. Thanks for that..

#4 OFFLINE   trackrat

Moon Phase

• 796 posts
  • Joined 23-January 12

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

One thing I forgot to say was as it is a Compaq, check the measurements of the PSU as they used to have non standard measurement ones, so make sure before you replace it.

#5 OFFLINE   Roamer Man

Moon Phase

• 784 posts
  • Joined 25-May 11

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

View Posttrackrat, on 08 March 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

One thing I forgot to say was as it is a Compaq, check the measurements of the PSU as they used to have non standard measurement ones, so make sure before you replace it.
I was wondering that too as is a small tower. I'll check the size.

#6 OFFLINE   Roamer Man

Moon Phase

• 784 posts
  • Joined 25-May 11

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostRoamer Man, on 08 March 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

View Posttrackrat, on 08 March 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

I was wondering that too as is a small tower. I'll check the size.
I checked the dimensions and they are the same. With that, I shopped around intensely for the best prices and managed to get a brilliant deal on processor, and a good deal on the PSU.

I found a new Athlon x3 460 (3.4 GHz) for £63, and the Elite 500w PSU for £42, all inclusive of postage. If I'd gone for the lesser 2.2 GHz quadcore 600e it would have cost me £94. So for just £11 extra I've got a processor x2 as fast as my old Athlon x2 and half as fast again as the 600e.

I've already upgraded my RAM to it's max for £13, and I can probably flog the old bits on eBay, so reducing the overall cost by about £25? So I'm pretty chuft all told. Should be OK for another 4 or 5 years.

The reason I decided to upgrade now is not that I use particularly processor-intensive software like gaming, I still use old stuff, but that I notice each time they upgrade my browser, mail programs and OS, it gets slower and slower and slower to the pont where it gets painful. From previous experience, I've found when it's finally time to 'upgrade' you can't - because the processors and memory are no longer available, so you end up having to buy a whole new damn computer! Things move so fast these days even for a tame user, I'm not making that mistake again.

All I'm waiting for now is for Virgin to upgrade my broadband to 20Gb and I'll be set fair - some time later this year, they say.

#7 OFFLINE   trackrat

Moon Phase

• 796 posts
  • Joined 23-January 12

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

As far as the computer slowing down over time is concerned, a fresh reinstall of the OS every 12 months will cure a lot of the slowness that accumulates within the OS.
Good choice of PSU, have fun re-routing the cables. :thumbup:

#8 OFFLINE   Roamer Man

Moon Phase

• 784 posts
  • Joined 25-May 11

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

View Posttrackrat, on 09 March 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

.. have fun re-routing the cables. :thumbup:
Are you trying to depress me? Actually the case seems quite open and empty, shouldn't be too much of a challenge...?

BTW How do you re-install the OS, when it's in a separate partition and came pre-installed i.e. there were no discs, except the one I made as a rescue disc?

#9 OFFLINE   trackrat

Moon Phase

• 796 posts
  • Joined 23-January 12

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

Sorry Roamer I missed this reply.

To restore factory settings of your Compaq Presario , you should back up files first of all. To back up your files you can use some Compact Disk as a medium to store data in it. Once you have done with your back up procedure then restoring the factory settings will not be a big deal to you. Just go to the start menu of your computer then go to the pc help and tools, There you will see Recovery Manager. Inside this Recovery Manager choose options as per your choices.

If you do not have this option, at boot up press F11 and select factory recovery.

If you have any data you need to save back everything up to a disk or external drive and make sure you have the disks to re-install any programs as the factory recovery will be like the first day you fired it up.

#10 OFFLINE   Roamer Man

Moon Phase

• 784 posts
  • Joined 25-May 11

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for that trackrat, but I think I'll pass on that one. If I restore to day 1, the first thing when I boot up will be a two and a half year's worth of security updates to install. Ditto the my Firefox and Thunderbird. Ergo, I'll be back to square one very quickly?

HP provides further maintainance software, in addition to Microsoft's tools, which I do run fairly frequently. It seems to check absolutely everything to optimize performance, and with Windows 7 the hard drive never seems to need defragging. In addition I keep the disc clean, so the increasing 'slowness' can only be down to the programs growing in size?

Anyway, my new processor arrived this a.m. I think I'll see how I get on with that before anything else.

Wish me luck.

#11 OFFLINE   trackrat

Moon Phase

• 796 posts
  • Joined 23-January 12

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Oh the joy of all those updates. :lol:

#12 OFFLINE   Roamer Man

Moon Phase

• 784 posts
  • Joined 25-May 11

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

View Posttrackrat, on 09 March 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

..Good choice of PSU, have fun re-routing the cables. :thumbup:
Cabling up was no problem. Installation was a breeze, except there were far more power outputs than I'll ever need! My motherboard requires only two of the power leads. Just another two for the hard drive and DVD writer and there's plenty left over, so the whole process was no more than 20 mins or so from start to finish. The new heatsink fan seems to run a bit quieter with this processor, which is nice.

Boot up is about 10 secs faster, but starting up browser and mail software takes about the same time. Must be something to do with the broadband speed!

#13 OFFLINE   trackrat

Moon Phase

• 796 posts
  • Joined 23-January 12

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Good that it all went so easily. :thumbup:
Yes BB speeds are often a limiting factor, but that should last you for a few years now. :great:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users