• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
mcb2007

Rolex owners club

Padders    1,371
On 24 August 2016 at 10:36, apm101 said:

Current one:

EAB019C7-A415-4C81-8CE4-7B2DAC212F17_zps

Previous:

P7180050_zps102b2f24.jpg

Why did you go from polar to black? Was it the readability which I hear isn't great on the White. I have the black and love the look of the White but have never tried one. 

apm101    921

Hi Padders,

It wasn't a conscious decision to change, but circumstances required the sale of the polar, and I things are now such that I can happily have the black one. 

I have really enjoyed, both. With hindsight, I would say that if this was your only Rolex (as it is mine), go Black, as it's somehow more 'Rolex', of that makes sense. If you have, for example, a black-dialled Sub or SD, then go white. 

ajdh    200

I went to a champagne evening at my local agents last night and came home with this.  The thing is, I was only drinking orange juice.

P1020776_1400_zpsjca791ea.jpg

mach 0.0013137    11,040
15 hours ago, ajdh said:

The thing is, I was only drinking orange juice.

Well, at least that`s what they told you it was happy0167.gif:laugh:

Kewl watch though :cool:

Valley_JP    2

Here is my 69' Date Just. Just had her serviced including a new bracelet.

I see some people listing their watches as a 'PIE PAN' dial. Can anyone let me know what that means?

Thanks

C0A197AD-5006-46A5-8E75-75A115991958.jpg

Davey P    6,025
26 minutes ago, Valley_JP said:

I see some people listing their watches as a 'PIE PAN' dial. Can anyone let me know what that means?

I'll give you a clue mate.  Have a look at the outer bezel on your watch, and then compare it to this:

9dbda3ff6494aa4625c1b584ce4d2da2.jpg

Also known as a "quiche and tart pan" apparently, but that wouldn't sound quite as impressive.... :laughing2dw:

Padders    1,371

That isn't the common use of the term pie pan, at least not in Omega circles where it refers to the faceted edge of the dial on some of the various 1960s Constellation models, nothing to do with the bezel. 

Here is an example, not mine sadly:

s-l640.jpg

hughlle    4,143
13 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I'll give you a clue mate.  Have a look at the outer bezel on your watch, and then compare it to this:

9dbda3ff6494aa4625c1b584ce4d2da2.jpg

Also known as a "quiche and tart pan" apparently, but that wouldn't sound quite as impressive.... :laughing2dw:

that would be a fluted bezel would it not?

Davey P    6,025
15 minutes ago, hughlle said:

that would be a fluted bezel would it not?

Yes mate, a fluted bezel - Otherwise known as a pie pan dial :laughing2dw:

19 minutes ago, Padders said:

That isn't the common use of the term pie pan, at least not in Omega circles where it refers to the faceted edge of the dial on some of the various 1960s Constellation models, nothing to do with the bezel. 

If you do a search for "pie pan watch dial" images on t'internet, both the Omega and the Rolex Datejust come up in more or less equal numbers.  So unless the internet is wrong (pretty unlikely) I'd say both versions are correct.  See, we have all learned something today.  You're welcome :tongue:

hughlle    4,143

Pie pan refers to the dial, not the bezel. Your watch looks like it could be a pie pan, your friends does not. For reference, with rolex the pie pan is with regard to the very edge of the dial, I'm not sure how to describe it, but the dial is not completely flat, but has some contouring around the edge.

amazing-rolex-datejust-watch-pie-pan-wid

Edited by hughlle

Padders    1,371
33 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Yes mate, a fluted bezel - Otherwise known as a pie pan dial :laughing2dw:

If you do a search for "pie pan watch dial" images on t'internet, both the Omega and the Rolex Datejust come up in more or less equal numbers.  So unless the internet is wrong (pretty unlikely) I'd say both versions are correct.  See, we have all learned something today.  You're welcome :tongue:

You think Dave?

IMG_0821_zpsjejpwscb.jpg

I see one Rolex there and 20 Omega Constellations. You're welcome! :whistle:

Edited by Padders

Davey P    6,025
14 minutes ago, Padders said:

You think Dave?

I see one Rolex there and 19 Omega Constellations. You're welcome! :whistle:

I didn't use Google for the search, which might explain why the results are different.  When I tried it, just by typing "pie pan watch dial" (without the quotes) into my browser (I use Chrome, which uses Yahoo for searches), the results were more mixed than yours.  Looking at it again, the first 3 lines of results came back with 20 Omegas and 9 Rolex Datejust.  So I guess that means either I am wrong (unlikely) or Google is not as good as Yahoo for searches (more likely).

Anyway, I stand by my original statement, and I think Hughlle is wrong.  There, I said it... :laughing2dw:

hughlle    4,143

Execpt that pie pan refers to the dial, not bezel.. Give it a search, and then click on a link and read instead of just forming your opinion on a picture. Valley has already shown us 2 date-justs, both with a fluted bezel, but one with pie pan dial, one without. Pie pan has absolutely nothing to do with the outer edge of the bezel as you've stated.

Edited by hughlle

Padders    1,371

Yep hence 20 of the 21 results in my picture of the google results actually have smooth bezels...

1 minute ago, Valley_JP said:

Completely off subject here, but why would 'GOOGLE' Chrome, use another search provider? :laugh:

Because when you look at naughty sites, sometimes your settings get hijacked by malware. Yahoo search is malware as far as I am concerned if it leads Davey to false conclusions lol.

Edited by Padders

Hello I am not up to speed loading pictures on here I have to Rolex GMT 16700 Pepsi which I always wear I also own a 1992 Submariner that my son has borrowed. Ideally I would like a stainless steel Daytona and a  stainless steel Rolex Submariner Hulk as you will all be aware it is easier to find rocking horse droppings.