Photobucket - Use Of Personal Info

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I got a flash screen this morning when I logged into Photobucket. Basically it told me that they planned to capture as much personal information about me as they possibly could, install cookies on my machine to send that info back to them which they would then pass (sell???) to carefully selected (yeah.... right...) third parties for the purposes of advertising. In short, they would collect as much info as they can and use it in whatever way they like.

Am I the only person who is worried by this? TBH I don't really think they could make a lot of money off my back, but that's not the point. If they can't afford to run their site under their current fiscal model they should come clean about it and start charging a subscription. Or is this just greed? I've only stated using Photobucket recently, since the demise of ImageCave, but I'm now going to start the hunt for a different hosting site.

What do you guys use?

Rob

Posted

I started using http://imgur.com/ earlier this year after being on photobucket for about 4 or 5 years. Imgur is miles better in my opinion, just in terms of the layout and upload function (you can drag-and-drop images onto the page). It's also a lot quicker than I remember photobucket being, which is always good.

Posted

Thanks for the info. I'm using photobucket at the moment and not seen anything about this new change. Unfortunately we are going to be seeing more and more of this kind of development from most social networks, image servers, etc. I'm probably a bit like you as I haven't really left any personal info on photo bucket but I'll be looking to move if this is the plans. Will have a look at this imgur.com.

Cheers

Posted

nothing is for free on the internet

Posted

I've just registered and uploaded a couple of experimental photos on to imgur.com. It is indeed very quick but there is something odd that I can't quite put my finger on...

JzskN.jpg?1

Posted

not that bothered really.

a few shots of my ugly mug with either the 710 or a few mates and a few ropey watch shots is all i have.

my old camera doesnt record location data so either for PB or facebook its no biggee.

am i missing something??? other than perhaps the mates are ropey and not the watches...

Posted

striped dickey bows are soooo last year :goof:

Posted

If you are only using Photobucket to post images of watches then it's not an issue. I've posted no personal info or family snapshots on there nor is it tied to any other social media IE facebook, etcetera, so the only info that they have on me is the images that I've stored and they can make of that what they will.

800-_DSC7985.jpg

Posted

This is where I prattle on about about "you get what you pay for" and so on. I have a domain and have it hosted. I store my images there and don't have to fear corporate nonsense. The other big bonus with this arrangement is the fact my photos remain in the threads. It's rather annoying going back through threads and finding most of the pictures gone.

Later,

William

Posted

I got a flash screen this morning when I logged into Photobucket. Basically it told me that they planned to capture as much personal information about me as they possibly could, install cookies on my machine to send that info back to them which they would then pass (sell???) to carefully selected (yeah.... right...) third parties for the purposes of advertising. In short, they would collect as much info as they can and use it in whatever way they like.

Am I the only person who is worried by this? TBH I don't really think they could make a lot of money off my back, but that's not the point. If they can't afford to run their site under their current fiscal model they should come clean about it and start charging a subscription. Or is this just greed? I've only stated using Photobucket recently, since the demise of ImageCave, but I'm now going to start the hunt for a different hosting site.

What do you guys use?

Rob

I did have this problem which i why i stopped posting .It did concern me and i wasnt happy about giving personal info to photobucket. Tried today and no caption and blocking occured so i did post a pic today

Posted

Thanks for the link to imgur - I've opened an account & will try it out on here presently.........

Posted

Most ISP's offer you some sort of free webspace for "My Webpage" or similar. If you take the learning curve and use it just for your photos, as William W says, it's all much more under your personal control - you don't NEED to have a domain, but you can if you wish. :yes:

Buy a domain, just a cheapo and you can have your e-mail as

willie@ivorbigun.co

or whatever as well, with an e-mail re-direct to your fredbloggs@isproviders.com real e-mail addy.

Posted

What the people at photobucket could learn about me, is that I some-times photograph cheap watches and post them on here.

Does this information have a commercial value?

Posted

This fella here rants about the new Photobucket "Privacy" Policy in some detail on his blog.

The blog details the new policy, explains what it means and describes how to opt out by emailing PhotoBucket direct.

I'm not that fussed YET... but if the already obtrusive ads are to be combined with further targetted marketing i'll be looking for a new hosting service for sure

Posted

Interesting post, I've used Photobcket for a few years now with no problems ( the free version) but haven't logged on via my PC for a while. Bit of a eye opener, adds everywhere and slow upload, slow navigation, pixelated images and generally crappy interface.

OK it's free and if I wasn't a skinflint then this wouldn't be an issue, but to use your info to generate revenue for themselves is a bit cheeky.

Posted

It's just greed, it's like every business big enough works. It's not enough to make enough money, you have to keep on getting bigger and bigger profits to keep the shareholders money in your business. (rant over)

Anyway, I haven't come across such a thing with PB but I've moved recently from Imageshack. I won't worry though, I use Chrome, gmail, Google as the standard search engine and my phone runs on Android. So everything PB might get from me doesn't come even close to what Google gets.

Google is scary! When I got my first Droid phone, inserted the SIM card and connected it to the internet, I noticed I had a lot of details about my contacts... emails, addresses, other phone numbers. I'm pretty sure that it was the phone that autofilled all those details because I have addresses of people I never had the slightest idea where they lived. And all that stuff comes from Google cloud. If I have that stuff about my contacts, I'm sure they have it too...