As Far As Birth Year Watches Go

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

i think this is about as near as i will get, born 1940 (yep true war baby) :D , spotted this and at least its in the right decade! I particularly liked the coppery type dial, and the fact that is a reasonable size 38mm incl crown.

It is said to be a german case with swiss movement (not from the bay). Have googled for info on the Era Watch Company and didnt come up with much, other than they kicked off in 1898. I know you all like your pics, so here are my efforts, i am not quite "getting" photograping watches - yet!

D31_1147.jpg

D31_1154.jpg

D31_1168.jpg

Movement - not my pic

495_234c.jpg

Should add that as usual the strap is tiny, would probably have fitted me perfectly in 1945!!

Edited by fernface

Posted · Report post

I can't offer you any information on the watch, but I commend you on the photos! I'm one of the ones that gripes about pics. :wink:

Later,

William

Posted · Report post

Cool watch!

Posted · Report post

:ok:

Posted · Report post

That,s a real looker great find.

Posted · Report post

Cheers guys, just got to sort a strap now :)

Posted · Report post

Very very nice! I was born in 1946 and have skinny wrists so the strap would be perfect. You sure you don't want to sell it to me!!??

Posted · Report post

Well it is keeping very nice time since yesterday. Have a niggly naggly doubt re spring bars. Had a tentative go at moving them and nothing is moving, but if they are fixed how the hell did they get the strap on??

Posted · Report post

Very clean. Congratulations :)

Posted · Report post

That is lovely and a good size too.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I considered buying a birth year watch but the 710 reckons that they were still on burning marked candles when I was "cast"! :D

Mike

Edited by tixntox

Posted · Report post

I considered buying a birth year watch but the 710 reckons that they were still on burning marked candles when I was "cast"! :D

Mike

Call her bluff and get one of these in the yard. :D

sundial.jpg

Later,

William

Posted · Report post

Well it is keeping very nice time since yesterday. Have a niggly naggly doubt re spring bars. Had a tentative go at moving them and nothing is moving, but if they are fixed how the hell did they get the strap on??

I'd agree, looking at the strap that it's unlikely to have fixed bars, my bet is that the lugs are "L" shaped and the very middle is a traditional spring bar, but shorter than the width of the strap. If you push the strap "down" the bar, does that reveal anything telling?

Posted · Report post

I'd agree, looking at the strap that it's unlikely to have fixed bars, my bet is that the lugs are "L" shaped and the very middle is a traditional spring bar, but shorter than the width of the strap. If you push the strap "down" the bar, does that reveal anything telling?

No they are definately fixed. I have sourced an open ended strap from an outfit in Germany, they even do it in an extra long, so even i will be able to put it on my wrist :D

Posted · Report post

No they are definately fixed. I have sourced an open ended strap from an outfit in Germany, they even do it in an extra long, so even i will be able to put it on my wrist :D

The watch is fantastic and I believe I have just the strap for it!

I also need XL straps with open ends, I also like parallel straps as they are more contemporary to the times.

The one pictured below was sourced from the US and cost well under £20 with postage. If you PM me I'll pass on the details.

pig1.jpg

Posted · Report post

The watch is fantastic and I believe I have just the strap for it!

I also need XL straps with open ends, I also like parallel straps as they are more contemporary to the times.

The one pictured below was sourced from the US and cost well under £20 with postage. If you PM me I'll pass on the details.

pig1.jpg

Thanks for that, PMd :)

Posted · Report post

Very nice looking watch. Looking at it I can see where Nomos have found a lot of their inspiration! From the hands to the case it's a dead ringer for a lot of their models and they are considered one of the real up and coming watch brands at the moment. Looks like you've found a great piece and I'm all for a 38mm sized watch. Did you buy it or are you still looking?

Cheers

Posted · Report post

Very nice looking watch. Looking at it I can see where Nomos have found a lot of their inspiration! From the hands to the case it's a dead ringer for a lot of their models and they are considered one of the real up and coming watch brands at the moment. Looks like you've found a great piece and I'm all for a 38mm sized watch. Did you buy it or are you still looking?

Cheers

Bought it as soon as i saw it! Had to take it off my wrist to take this pic, tried to show strap (which i like), but dont think i managed it really :D

D31_1218.jpg

Posted · Report post

nice looking watch , who ever did it did a good job on the dial refinish.