• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
pg tips

Acrylic Polish Pictorial

trackrat    120

Pugster, thanks for your reply.

I will be having a go at it tonight.

If it all goes OK then I have another one to do as well.

dicknixon    0

I've done this now on four watches I've been renovating, and the results are great.

I don't know if anyone else has found that the Wet and Dry paper is best used wet?

In a former life I was a model maker, and we always used it wet, that way it doesn't clog up with dust. You can wet it with water, but a bit of spit on the end of your finger and onto the crystal works really well. The spit acts a bit of s lubricant.

Yeeuucchhh! I know!

Just remember to use a different finger each time you refresh the lubricant.

Cheers

rovert    0

A very good post....... thanks !

Please excuse my ignorance but how do I determine if a watch has an acrylic or mineral crystal ?

Thanks,

Rovert

Davey P    5,714

Please excuse my ignorance but how do I determine if a watch has an acrylic or mineral crystal ?

Tap it lightly on your teeth, you can feel the difference straight away (that's a little tip I got on here somewhere, not something I would have thought to do myself) :D

no8yogi    0

just tried this on the watch that my mum gave my dad back in 1967 and it came up a treat! also managed to get a monster scratch out of my Dads waveceptor, but forgot to take photos will have a go on my russian pocket watch next, and hopefully will remember to take pictures! it is amazing how well this actually works!!

Eidian    0

Thank you so much for this thread. I've saved the crystals on a few vintage watches that I've acquired in the past few weeks. It's nice knowing that I can fix the scratched crystals on vintage watches that I find on eBay.

no8yogi    0

and here is that pocket watch before and after I love the results!

8197718478_8c2deb2dab.jpg

IMG_0958 by Jorrit and Hillary, on Flickr

before

8197706344_6a1cde4be0.jpg

IMG_0962 by Jorrit and Hillary, on Flickr

after

8196628083_1744d1fbb8.jpg

IMG_0957 by Jorrit and Hillary, on Flickr

before

8197712736_8c51404efd.jpg

IMG_0960 by Jorrit and Hillary, on Flickr

after

8197715596_7c6641f202.jpg

IMG_0959 by Jorrit and Hillary, on Flickr

before

8197709414_af55ae6c0a.jpg

IMG_0961 by Jorrit and Hillary, on Flickr

after

Its a lovely watch and keeps amazing time I have even used this one as my daily watch!

luckywatch    404

I would never have believed it. This is my Tara from 1974. Thanks to PG tips and everyone else.

I used the 400 grade, 1200 grade, and metal polish followed by polywatch.

TARA_before.jpgTARA1.jpgTARA2.jpg

chris.ph    137

i did my old timex this afternoon and it came up a treat i used a dremel to polish the sides of the lense and followed the instructions on the main part

DJH584    406

That luckywatch is an absolute transformation - well done.

Regards

David

Edited by DJH584

Mick B    8

Well that was quite a frightening experience, but tried it with an old Seiko automatic and it worked perfectly so have also now improved my old 1983 G10 which has come up a treat. There were no really deep scratches so I used a 4 sided sponge nail buffer before the brasso. I'm new to collecting so won't now be put off by condition.

Doxa    0

Thank you so much for posting this pg tips and to others that have added to this thread. :)

IMAG0788_zpsdf93867d.jpg

IMAG0787_zpsdd6d4b6b.jpg

IMAG0793_zps7cde0da3.jpg

DSC_2788_zps6159bff8.jpg

DSC_2799_zps3ad94f90.jpg

Sorry, I'm not very good at photo's yet (getting better with tips from here)

ETA: The last picture shows other watches I used the tip on. Once I had built a little confidence.....Last pic; L to R - Hopalong Cassidy, Fulton, Waltham, Berkley auto, JW Benson, with a Berlac bottom row. The ladies watches (Hamilton auto and 1961 Bulova) have just been cleaned.

Edited by Doxa

wilhenri    7

I have a 70s Omega Geneve which I have been pondering on whether to give this treatment to. I am not sure whether the glass/crystal is made of though it does have the Omega logo in the center so it is original.. Any advice would be welcome.

Doxa    0

Hi, the logo is on the inside of the plastic "glass" so it says here. How bad are the marks? I'm not sure I would with your omega.

Edited by Doxa

hiutsuri    0

Awesome Post.

I have a few CWC watches I am looking to polish.

Just ordered the recommended parts - Brasso etc.

Will let you know how I get on.