2 Films Watched Recently

1,176 posts in this topic

Posted

The Adjustment Bureau - What a load of old tosh... Dont waste your time or money... :thumbsdown:

Rango- Very funny and well worth a watch..... :thumbup:

Posted (edited)

The Adjustment Bureau - What a load of old tosh... Dont waste your time or money... :thumbsdown:

Maybe it's because I feel there hasn't been any good movies around recently but I actually liked (not loved) The Adjustment Bureau.

I think the last movie I remember watching and enjoying was The Priest. On the verge of being a B sci-fi movie but still cool.Oh, and Battle for Los Angeles was also cool.

I'll have to check that Rango (EDIT: Ah, forget it... it's a cartoon... :sadwalk: )

Edited by Kutusov

Posted

Maybe it's because I feel there hasn't been any good movies around recently but I actually liked (not loved) The Adjustment Bureau.

I think the last movie I remember watching and enjoying was The Priest. On the verge of being a B sci-fi movie but still cool.Oh, and Battle for Los Angeles was also cool.

I'll have to check that Rango (EDIT: Ah, forget it... it's a cartoon... :sadwalk: )

Last even vaguely decent film I saw was Salt (Which says a lot really) I think most films that come out now are just mass produced dross and that also goes for the so called art house films which are just pandering to a certain audience.

Posted

I saw Captain America last week and it was a refreshing change. They kept the re-imagining to a minimum, which is a nice change these days. No emotional roller coaster, just true blue hero.

Later,

William

Posted

I saw Captain America yesterday and it is easily the best super hero film since batman begins. The best cgi in it though is how they make Chris Evans (not to be confused the the ginger bespectacled one) skinny pre- transformation into the Cap.

A few other mini-reviews from my July cinema going:

Transformers - terrible.

Bridesmaids - surprisingly very good.

The first grader - absolutely fantastic.

Horrible bosses - average.

Harry Potter - I wouldn't watch if you paid me (another story).

Potiche - quite watchable.

Super 8 coming out next week looks interesting, could be a surprise hit.

Posted

I've not been to the cinema recently - last time was X Men - First Class i believe (that was fantastic tho!)

I've recently watched 2012 - terrible film - biggest waste of 2 hrs ever

I would recommend keeping a look out (if you like sci fi) for Repo Men with Jude Law - very refreshing entry to the genre :yes:

Posted

And on the subject, can anyone recommend a site that reviews films that have recently come on to DVD? Reason is me and the wife subscribe to Love Film but never know what to put on the list - consequently a lot of unwatchable crap gets on there and it all becomes a waste of time and money (actually, not much money but money nonetheless). So what we need is a reliable (haha) site that can guide us gently through the maze of new releases. Any ideas? Ta :)

Posted (edited)

And on the subject, can anyone recommend a site that reviews films that have recently come on to DVD? Reason is me and the wife subscribe to Love Film but never know what to put on the list - consequently a lot of unwatchable crap gets on there and it all becomes a waste of time and money (actually, not much money but money nonetheless). So what we need is a reliable (haha) site that can guide us gently through the maze of new releases. Any ideas? Ta :)

I tend not to read reviews before watching a film, but then read them afterwards. I use Empire and IMDB. The IMDB website is a great resource, giving overviews, reviews, cast, facts, hoofs and so on. The iPhone app is very good slimmed down version too.

Edit. The iPhone is good, but its damned autocorrect can be annoying! That should be goofs not hoofs!!

Edited by tall_tim

Posted (edited)

Haha - I was wondering what a 'hoof' is... did I miss something? :blush2: Thanks for the tip - I'll check those out. :)

Edit: Now look here Tim, my lad, what's the earthly point of reading reviews after you've watched the darned film? :D

Edited by squareleg

Posted

I would recommend keeping a look out (if you like sci fi) for Repo Men with Jude Law - very refreshing entry to the genre :yes:

Thanks for the tip! I'm always trying to find sci-fi movies/tv-series. Very frustrating the TV-series thing, they keep getting cancelled after the 1st season, so you end up never knowing what on earth was going on (Darkskies for example).

Posted (edited)

Haha - I was wondering what a 'hoof' is... did I miss something? :blush2: Thanks for the tip - I'll check those out. :)

Edit: Now look here Tim, my lad, what's the earthly point of reading reviews after you've watched the darned film? :D

It's something I've always done, partly so I don't get any plot spoilers, partly so my view isn't skewed by someone else's opinion and partly because some reviewers I am sure never watched the film or they review on the back of hype.

I read them afterwards just to see how their opinions differ from mine. I like reading IMDb afterwards to get the goofs and interesting (to me) trivia.

Edited by tall_tim

Posted

You could always try looking through the amazon site at new release films as the reviews will mostly be by your average Joe Bloggs rather than some Uni kid who thinks he is a film expert.

Posted

I've just finished watching it. Cool movie!

Posted

I've just finished watching it. Cool movie!

:thumbsup: - felt a little like Equilibrium to me - worth a watch anyway :yes:

Posted

Exactly what I though too... a guy falling out of the dystopia thing. So also a bit like THX1138 and the Omega Man (distant similitude). The final made me think of Brazil by Terry Gilliam... and it also reminded me of Gattaca. So all good references.

Regrading Equilibrium... have you watched Ultraviolet? It's made by the same guy and has all that GunKata thing but with... Milla Jovovich :drool: :man_in_love: . I can't remember anything from the movie except Milla and her moves :P

Posted

I sat down and watched submarine last night. Brilliantly shot and acted very watchable and if you like royal tennenbaums etc this is for you.and iit was all filmed round here.

Other recent films.

Paul -very funny and lots of references.

Xmen origins- very good reboot.

Valhalla rising - very brutal Nordic folklore very good.

I have ironclad to watch this week ,remaining open-minded about that.

As for reviews I use rotten tomatoes, IMDB,and empire but if I watch a film in the cinema I go and see it and make my own mind up.

Posted

Valhalla rising - very brutal Nordic folklore very good.

There's one I wanted to watch but had completely forgot about! Don't know if it's similar but The Eagle is a nice movie too. Oh, and both Spartacus Tv-Series (Blood and Sand + the prequel Gods of the Arena). Fighting á lá 300 fighting scenes.

Posted

Old School.

Lazy, plus I had this from an earlier post:

GWTW.jpg

No, I actually am a huge movie buff seeing probably 2-3/week.

Posted

So also a bit like THX1138

That's a film everybody should watch. It's rather too bad Lucas can't make films like that now.

Oh, and the Omega Man, bombed when it came out, but an excellent part of the Charlton Heston cautionary trifecta, including Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green. :wink:

Later,

William

Posted (edited)

I remembered now about two very good sci-fi movies I've seen on the last two years that I think didn't receive 1/10 of the attention they deserved.

A rather good Swiss (yes Swiss!!!) movie named Cargo that has a bit of 2001 mood and tempo:

cargover2.jpg

...and Pandorum, which seems to start like another Alien clone movie but then things change altogether and you only find out what's going on on the very last few minutes (at least I wasn't expecting that ending at all). So I enjoyed it immensely, it's not very often that an American film can pull that off.

pandorumfinalonesheet.jpg

Last month I've also seen this Russian WW2 movie. It's amazing, you should check it out!

5884eb3a7c7m7jn2jpg.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4eODo-WfUs

Edited by Kutusov

Posted

There are a lot of good French movies out there I tend to watch. The Turkish movie "Uzak" Is one of the best I have seen. I used to be pretty keen on films but there is too much mass produced dross out there now. I hear there are a few good Russian movies out there.

Posted

I hear there are a few good Russian movies out there.

Yeap, this one immediately springs to mind:

wwwararacz80161.jpg

Absolutely brilliant!

Posted

If you have a list of Russian movies to recommend let me know. I hear there have been a few Bulgakov books put into film, are they any good?

Posted

Exactly what I though too... a guy falling out of the dystopia thing. So also a bit like THX1138 and the Omega Man (distant similitude). The final made me think of Brazil by Terry Gilliam... and it also reminded me of Gattaca. So all good references.

Regrading Equilibrium... have you watched Ultraviolet? It's made by the same guy and has all that GunKata thing but with... Milla Jovovich :drool: :man_in_love: . I can't remember anything from the movie except Milla and her moves :P

Not seen ultraviolet - got it confused with areon flux (*spelling*) - THX is another fantastic film!

Will give those films (above) a watch Renato, I do enjoy a good sci-fi! I watched predators recently and was left disappointed - shame really...