• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
pauluspaolo

Bug Photos

Hi all - whilst on my hols in Germany recently this little chap/chapess decided to pose long enough for me to take quite a few photos. Normally flies bu99er off as soon as I get anywhere near them but this one seemed content enough to sit there while I got within a cm or so of it with the camera. It was only when I looked at the photos on the computer later that I noticed the oval blobs under it abdomen - would these be eggs (thought they laid eggs in rotting things - raoadkill etc for the maggots to eat??) or are they more some sort of parasite (lice/ticks etc)?

RIMG0025.jpg

RIMG0027.jpg

RIMG0026.jpg

Here's another fly I managed to get a photo of before it flew off :)

RIMG0040.jpg

RIMG0040rsz.jpg

:)

Spring has sprung down here and the bees are in the lavender:

DSC00714.jpg

Sony A700, Tamron 90mm/f2.8 Macro

We had quite a good crop of frog and toad spawn earlier in the year...so it's always nice to see the results a few months later. We often see the tiny frogs hopping about in the wet grass, but rarely see the tiny toads...except this morning:

Very%20Young%20Toad%2020110913%201.jpg

Very%20Young%20Toad%2020110913%202.jpg

Must remember not to cut the lawn :butcher: :(

Taken with the phone so apologies for the poor quality compared to all the others in this thread...

IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg

Taking bugs is a real challenge but can be great fun and rewarding. It takes quite a bit of patience, skill and luck too.

This little fella was taken by me last spring, using a homemade flash diffuser.

rsadsc5591.jpg

This next creature was taken the next day during a rare spell of good weather when I am not at work. Has been worked on in Photoshop to make the red eyes stand out.

rsadsc5593e.jpg

Tony

Some beautiful photos chaps. Seems quite a few of us never lost our childhood fascination for creepy crawlies. One of my happiest moments was finding a scorpion in our cellar, how cool is that! :)

My latest insect was one of these big grasshoppers, essentially a locust and known around here as a sauterelle egyptian. Usually I only see bits of them as the cats catch them in the evening for snacks. The other day I opened my office window and found a whole one.

dscf5674p.jpg

dscf5677q.jpg

and for an idea of size (the Beuchat is 40mm across the bezel)

dscf5675h.jpg

cheers

Andy

Just for laughs I had to add this one I took earlier this year too!

rsaadsc1937crop.jpg

Tony

Haha, brilliant.

Was that shot taken in a fly prison? "who's ya daddy"

Andy

Just for laughs I had to add this one I took earlier this year too!

rsaadsc1937crop.jpg

Tony

Haha, brilliant.

Was that shot taken in a fly prison? "who's ya daddy"

Andy

Might have been!

From another angle.

rsadsc1944crop2.jpg

Tony

Just back from a week in sunny Menorca with the usual collection of bugs and interesting creatures! First up, remember this chap from Portugal?....

Portugal2011013.jpg

Here's a much larger, green Praying Mantis...

Menorcapics011.jpg

Menorcapics054.jpg

Menorcapics076.jpg

This is the weirdest centipede I've ever seen! It reminded me of one of the creatures from the sci fi comedy 'Evolution'...almost as though a spider has had a dubious relationship with a centipede...

Menorcapics003.jpg

Following on...a couple of beetles...

Menorcapics015.jpg

Menorcapics185.jpg

A very large grass hopper/locust (similar, if not the same as the one Foztex found a few posts above)

Menorcapics130.jpg

Humming bird hawk moth at rest...

Menorcapics146.jpg

...and in flight. There were hundreds of these flying around, and it took ages to get a shot after messing around with shutter speeds to try and capture the wings...this was at 1/1500 sec. I'm going to start another thread discussing this, and hopefully pick up some tips from better photographers than me!

Menorcapics168.jpg

One more post to come...

Finally, some lizards...first up a gecko...

Menorcapics093.jpg

A shot showing how the iris of the eye in geckos closes to four pupils in bright light...

Menorcapics082.jpg

The underside of the foot, showing the venetian blind like pads that help the gecko cling to walls, and even glass...

Menorcapics090.jpg

A small lizard with an electric blue tail...

Menorcapics116.jpg

And a common wall lizard.

Menorcapics178.jpg

Hope you enjoyed! :D

Nice bugs Roger! Looks like it would have been bug heaven for me, really cool to see the pads of the Gecko up close. It must be difficult to be able to handle them like that.

Tony

None of the above went in the fridge...it's only the livelier insects that need that, and only for a few minutes to calm them down...they're all released unharmed after a shoot! :thumbsup: