• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
pauluspaolo

Bug Photos

5973380112_16c40000a8_z.jpg

Quick tip...to distinguish a wasp from a fly...look DMP's pic above

:D

IMAG0463-Copy.jpg

Surprisingly taken with my phone :o

Edited by BondandBigM

I snapped these a couple of years ago, raiding the bird feeders. I imagine there were some bugs hitching a ride. It was near darkness and I didn't have time to fit a flash, so not much detail, and I didn't see the need for macro lens. :D

bear28c.jpg

bear29c.jpg

Later,

William

You have the biggest bug(ger)s I've seen yet, Will...reminds me of the old kiddies song...

If you go down to the woods today...you're sure of a big surprise.

If you go down to the woods today...you better go in disguise.

For ev'ry bear that ever there was...will gather there for certain, because,

Today's the day the Teddy bears have their picnic!

I wish we had critters like that in our garden...all we have are foxes, hedgehogs, and next doors bloody cat! (though, happily, not since I got an anti-cat, lazer sighted, ultrasonic sound blaster, which scares the $hit out of it! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

It's a male Emperor moth, (only male moths have feathery antennae...to detect the pheromones released by the females) and quite scarce now, I believe. The female is about twice the size and grey in colour. Great shot!

Remember this chap...Eyed Hawk moth larva about 60mm (just over 2.5" long)?

Caterpillars011.jpg

Well, I watched them (there were three of them) for another week or so, then one day, one of them started crawling down the tree to pupate. I put it in a pot of soft peat so I could record what happened next. It burrowed down and formed a chamber in the peat and then started to contract.

Bugpics008.jpg

Over the next few days, it shortened in length and changed colour...

Bugpics009.jpg

Finally, its larval skin split to reveal the pupa. In this pic, this has only just happened, and the pupa (chrysalis) is still pale and soft. You can see the old skin to the left, at the tail end.

Bugpics014.jpg

The next morning, the shell of the pupa had darkened and now the entire contents will be broken down and re-arranged into a beautiful moth that will emerge next year. This is quite a large pupa at around 35mm (1.5")

Bugpics024-1.jpg

Found something else while doing my rounds in the gardens today...a crab spider munching a hover fly. These chaps usually hide in a flower the same colour as their body, so this one was rather conspicuous in a blue cornflower...they're called crab spiders because they move sideways like a crab...

Bugpics019.jpg

Just snapped this dragonfly emerging from its nymph case...it was getting ready for its first flight:

Dragonfly%20Emerging%2020110814%201.jpg

Dragonfly%20Emerging%2020110814%202.jpg

Some great bug pics on here :thumbsup:

I bought a macro lens the other week and have been trying to get some insect pics. Nothing exotic from me, just a common wasp and and fly.

5926140099_58fd675390_z.jpg

5940217724_f8c8065bde_z.jpg

Looks like you have a bug in your computer! :whistle:

Mike

Wow!...what great shots of the emerging dragonfly...superb!

Just returned from a week in the Algarve, Portugal and thought I would share some pics of bugs and other creatures with you...

First was a pretty dull looking male Preying Mantis, that landed on the wall one night, attracted to the floodlight...

Portugal2011004.jpg

Portugal2011002.jpg

That is until he got a bit peeved posing on my fingers, and went into a defensive posture whereupon he became quite spectacular...

Portugal2011012.jpg

Portugal2011013.jpg

Portugal2011017.jpg

A few days later I found this chameleon walking along the dusty path to the villa...it was quite grey and dusty looking itself, until I picked it up, then it started to change colour to a yellowy green...

Portugal2011041.jpg

Portugal2011047.jpg

At this point, I put him back on a bush, and he wandered off gradually becoming greener to blend in with the leaves...

Portugal2011051.jpg

Portugal2011050.jpg

Portugal2011053.jpg

Finally I took some pics of the usual creatures you find abroad...

Various Geckos...the second one has lost its original tail, and the new one has grown back rather more stumpy and colourless than the original...

Portugal2011023.jpg

Portugal2011026.jpg

Hiding in a crevice, but showing the unique four pupilled eyed common to most geckos...

Portugal2011030.jpg

A Marsh frog on a lily pad in the carp pool...

Portugal2011055.jpg

An adult Ant Lion...the larvae make conical depressions in sandy soil and wait at the bottom with their jaws sticking up to catch ants that fall into the pit...the adult looks like a damsel fly, but has large antennae that tell the difference.

Portugal2011036.jpg

A few days later I found this chameleon walking along the dusty path to the villa...it was quite grey and dusty looking itself, until I picked it up, then it started to change colour to a yellowy green...

At this point, I put him back on a bush, and he wandered off gradually becoming greener to blend in with the leaves...

That sounds like most of out politicians... grey and dusty looking until they see the green :wink: :D

Snapped this lad in my garden:

DSC08479.jpg

bonsaivisitor2.jpg

John :)

Just to put names to these great shots by Deco and John....Deco's is a Small Tortoise Shell, and John's is a Speckled Wood.

Some amazing shots in this thread! I love the idea of casually finding a Chameleon wandering down the street, don't get many of those in Manchester!

Anyway thought I'd add this little guy I found on holiday in France, he obligingly sat still on a leaf whilst I tried to keep him in focus :)

Not easy with a 70-300mm set to macro, despite the good light!

23df8ab6.jpg

Look forward to more piccies. :)

WARNING!.....if you're an arachnophobe...don't go any further!

Spotted this bloke (common house spider) in my potting shed on returning to work after my hols....I swear he was wearing Doc. Martins and had 'ACAB' tattooed across his knees when I first saw him...managed to get three shots after cooling him in the fridge for 10 mins (a common photographers ploy to get insects/spiders to stay still long enough to snap them...especially dragon flies) then decided to get a ruler to add a size shot (he was well over 2" long and wide), but when I came back, he'd buggered off!

Bugsaugust004.jpg

Bugsaugust003.jpg

Bugsaugust007.jpg

after cooling him in the fridge for 10 mins

...must be great to go watch the match at your place and grabbing beers :D

My missus was quite shocked when she opened a Tupperware box from the fridge that had a grass snake in it I was cooling down for a few shots....can't imagine why! :black eye: :lol: :lol:

Well, I've just ordered a couple of macro filter lens so maybe I can contribute later on to this topic. I doubt it though, for the price I've payed for those things they should be rubbish :D

Came across this Dor (dung) beetle today whilst doing the rounds of the grounds...probably flown across from the cattle field next door. Quite large , but not as big as a Stag beetle.

Glossy black on top, but a beautiful iridescent blue underneath. It reminded me of the giant beetles in the Sci-fi film 'Starship Troopers'.

Bugsaugust002.jpg

Bugsaugust011.jpg

Bugsaugust009.jpg

While tending to the pond at work today, I noticed that the recent inclement weather has bought the frogs out in force...the long grass along one bank was alive with tiny froglets, that jumped out at every step...took a couple into the greenhouse for some pics...these are only about an inch long...

Frogpics008.jpg

Frogpics004.jpg

Frogpics007.jpg

Frogpics006.jpg

Frogpics011.jpg

And my suspicions were confirmed...like the toad a couple of pages back, these have finger tips too if you look carefully...