• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Chromejob

Sometimes It'S Better In The Dark

Doing some comparison of the MKII Kingston with SuperLumiNova BGW9 (a more authentic (?) white color in daylight, blue in the dark) and with SuperLumiNova C3 (perhaps screen accurate very light green and green in the dark). Brand new so not hard to photograph.... And a beautiful watch (gilt dial markings, gold hands), so very easy to lose track of time doing photography....

(No, didn't bother with screen for the crystal reflection. These were just test shots.)

20121202-4946_kingstons_lumecompare_500.jpg

Click for larger image.

20121202-4950_kingston_lume_500.jpg

Click for larger image.

Edited by David Spalding
  • Like 1

Lovely watches, those! The green lumed one will probably seem to last longer/be brighter for longer but I think I would prefer the white/blue version.

I realized this not long ago but I love gold on black!

Thanks. :-) I actually tested them both last night under identical explosure to the same light. After lights out, the C3 burned brighter, clearer. The BGW9 was dimmer. As my eyes gained night vision ability, they were both visible.

In the morning, about 7-8 hours later, the C3 was still glowing a bit, the BGW9 just faintly visible. It's a matter of taste I suppose. On SuperLuminova's chart comparing all their grades (I can't find it at the moment, dammit), BGW9 is just below C3.

It's just not that David, our eyes pick up the green light better than the blue (maybe that's the chart you are talking about?).

When I got the Citizen Orca with massive lume markings and their blue lume stuff that everybody said was amazing, I was a bit disappointed. It was very strong on the first few minutes and then seemed to decay a lot more faster than the green lume on my NY0040. Subjectively, I would say that the older watch had the better lume, hands down. A few latter I happened to awake up 7 hours or so after both watches had been exposed to the same Sun light and... although the blue lume always seemed stronger on the first hours, after all that time it was the one that kept some visibility. The NY0040 was pretty much dead by then.

Maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges because they are not the same compound but it's just my subjective experience, it always seemed evident to me that the green one was much better.

Anyway, lume is not something important for me except how it looks on daylight, so I prefer the white markers on that watch to the slightly green of the C3. Superluminova C1 would be just fine with me also.

Not really an artistic lume shot, but taking some q&d pics for a forum design thread (wherein I want to highlight relationship of the sweep second hand pip with hour markers, and the hour hand), with an iPod Touch no less, I realized how lovely elements look when they're in concert....

20130406-2219_kingston_nightlume_handrelations_1024.jpg

Holy thread revival, Batman.[1]

Wait, what's this?

20141124-0830_nassau_at_night_1400.jpg

It's a Mk II Nassau with 3-6-9 dial!

20141124-0829_nassau_at_night_1024.jpg

[1]BTW, there's a new BD set of the entire US Batman series. Supposed to be great. Ah, Lee Meriwether and Eartha Kitt as Catwoman....

Edited by David Spalding
  • Like 1

20141210-0969_graywater_marataczulusand_fltjacket_1400.jpg

Finding that a Maratac AA Tactical Extreme flashlight with diffuser is really good for taking low-light, macro shots. A little bounce light from an AA Personal Flood adds to the drama.

Finding that a Maratac AA Tactical Extreme flashlight with diffuser is really good for taking low-light, macro shots. A little bounce light from an AA Personal Flood adds to the drama.

David, can't you post using a smaller size? Some of us won't still be convinced about buying a brand new microscope :lol: :cheers:

Um,.... Hehe. It's 2014. 1400 wide (422Kb) images really oughtn't be considered modem burners unless you're on dial-up? I've been away, I'm probably not attuned to everyone's Internet access speeds.

How about this?

20141219-2655_nassau_corvusbond_db4_lume_1280.jpg

Edited by David Spalding

It's fine to post that size, the forum won't allow a big 13MP picture anyway... This is my current speed on a PC that is connected through wifi to a router located on the other side of gods know how many concrete walls.

4006509013.png

...should be 100MB...

BTW, is that a MKII?

20141210-0969_graywater_marataczulusand_fltjacket_1400.jpg

Nice shot, David. And a nice watch, too. What the heck is it? Looks Paradivey?

EDIT: Goddam. The very next post I read is your '2014 arrivals' thread. I'm off to Google Graywater! Looks very cool indeed.

Edited by Draygo

Nice shot, David. And a nice watch, too. What the heck is it? Looks Paradivey?

EDIT: Goddam. The very next post I read is your '2014 arrivals' thread. I'm off to Google Graywater! Looks very cool indeed.

Let me help you out a little...

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=94093

20141129-1606_graywater_nighttimelume.jpg

Edited by David Spalding

It's still better in the dark.... 

hNDOlwdh.jpg

wsla2Blh.jpg

Edited by David Spalding
and another pic to really heat your rmodem

A couple of lume shots from me taken on my slr. I normally only do landscape phototography but thought i'd have a little bash at this. Quite happy for a first attempt but think I could do better & wouldnt mind setting the up on a piece of glass to get some nice reflections.

Certina DS Action

32366332342_ae450e2d03_c.jpgIMG_1348 by Tom Harvey, on Flickr

Longines Conquest

32396362331_7d5bd2540f_c.jpgIMG_1344 by Tom Harvey, on Flickr

Cheers T

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tomh1982 said:

A couple of lume shots from me taken on my slr. I normally only do landscape phototography but thought i'd have a little bash at this. Quite happy for a first attempt but think I could do better & wouldnt mind setting the up on a piece of glass to get some nice reflections.

Longines Conquest

32396362331_7d5bd2540f_c.jpgIMG_1344 by Tom Harvey, on Flickr

Cheers T

Actually Tom you have got the shot of the lume on that Longines pretty much spot on.

David

• Like 1

I was just reminded of the old reliable trick of … just going outside for a minute or two. XD

R5dF2bvl.jpg

Just giving my old thread a little love. Fans of lume shots may want to brew a cuppa and enjoy… Start from post #1. ,)

(Holy cats 'n cheese. 16,000 or so views? Wow.)

^ Very nice Photoshopping there, mate. :drinks:

Edited by Chromejob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, themysterybidder said:

Wow, I am loving the bright lume in the dark!  :king:

260mlNG.jpg

Cassie's first automatic, a Seiko 5. :naughty: 

• Haha 1

On 05/04/2018 at 12:43, Sophy said:

How is your Luminovia :clap:

TB2_21.jeuSBuNjSsplXXbe8pXa_!!3481486518

21 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

Still trying to get the hang of this lume shot lark.  Not aided by the fact that the screw thread in my tripod seems to be cross-threaded so I can't mount the camera securely and it's wobbling about all over the place.  Not too disappointed in this latest effort though.

CW%20C60%20Lume.jpg