• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
pg tips

Photography Hints And Tips

PG's Hints & Tips for photographing watches

I've made a start on my hints and tips page. Click on the link above. I decided to save it to Roy's wrist watch info site so it can be accessed even if my site goes down plus Roy can edit it if necessary if I should ever dissapear!

I don't want it to be soley my page so if you have any hints and tips (esp low budget) that you want to pass on let me know and I'll add them to the page.

Edited by pg tips

Very good Paul....most helpfull.. smile.gif

I can see Alyson's gonna have more ammo to take the piss out of my hobby!! laugh.gif

Jason

if I should ever dissapear!

You better bloody not. nono.gifmsn-cry.gif

don't worry Roy, I'm not planning on going anywhere, just I might get knocked down by a bus tomorrow, you never know!

Good tips PG. ohmy.gifhuh.gif No pun intended. smile.gif

Don't even think about disappearing, you won't get far. nono.gif

I've added a tiny bit more. Anyone with any ideas or improvements please pm me.

Thanks Paul - I'll have try some of these smile.gif .

I still don't understand how to get pics onto the forum - I must be really thick msn-cry.gif .

Will you be doing hints and tips on that topic or shall I buy The "Readers Digest" book on computers for the bewildered sad.gifblink.gif ?

Some very useful tips there PG, thanks, can't believe I hadn't thought of putting a piece of card on the front of the camera to hide the reflection, that’s a great tip, I'll definitely be using that one smile.gif

I use a light tent for my photography, which is basically the same thing you advised but just another way of doing it, below are a couple of sites that people might find useful, the first one is a site done by a guy who made his own tent, I started here, and made my own, but then quickly moved to a professional one as it was much more portable and convenient to use, the second site sells them, they're a tad expensive, but the site is good to give you some idea of what to look for on ebay wink.gif and they sell daylight corrected bulbs which run cool, these are very good I have some and can recommend them, incidentally I use floor lamps bought from Ikea as these were much cheaper than the professional ones, it seems Ikea is a very good source for us money saving bodgers biggrin.gif

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box

http://www.tabletopstudio.co.uk/

Hi Rich,

That's an intresting link for the light tent. I have been messing about all afternoon trying to get a better set up to use ph34r.gif and I'm still not happy with the results sad.gif Might have to splash out on a "proper" light tent.

This is the kind of result I have ended up with, evenly lit but a bit dull. What do you think?

user posted image

MIKE..

Edited by MIKE

user posted image

Mike,

I copied your picture and used the automatic image enhancements in the effects menu of PaintShop Pro 7. I also added a little unsharp mask.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your lighting, it's nice and even and produces very little reflection.

I think all you need is a little post production tweaking. wink.gif But keep it simple and subtle, Imho.

Your pictures have improved no end over the past months. thumbsup.gif

Well done old mate. smile.gif

Thanks Stan wink.gif

I will keep trying and have look at "post production" I can get a bit obsesive about the photo's.

Truth is we don't see any bad photo's (ie. you can hardly tell what the watch is) from anyone these days smile.gif Gone are the days of lengthy desciptions of a watch with out photo's or putting a watch on a scanner to get an image. eek.gif

MIKE..

Just had a look at your photography hints and tips.........great..........PG.... thanks for that. If you have seen some of my efforts, reflections in the crystal, etc you'll know why I need all the help I can. Edited by USEDMODEL

It's a very hard thing to get right UM (I can't seem to get good photos of some watches at all) and practice is the only answer really, at least with digi you won't be wasting a fortune on film.

I agree there Paul I never used to have as much trouble photographing old cameras as I do watches msn-cry.gif .

Oh well will have to keep trying wink2.gif and keep posting I suppose tongue.gif

The tip of using a piece of paper to diffuse the light I thought of on my own but then read it on your page. Works nicely.

I add more sheets to filter more light if needed. It also creates some indirect lighting onto the watches from the ceiling so there are no hot spots. Works for me.

This pic was taken using this tip.

user posted image

Edited by Smitty