Formula 1 (the Infamous F1 Thread)

2,090 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Boring start to another boring season?

Discuss.... laugh.gif

Posted · Report post

Usually is boring, but it was first one in ages i've watched all the way through ohmy.gif

Posted · Report post

Ok Pg .......If by boring you mean a Ferrari domination then maybe....BUT what seems to be overlooked is that they happen to be doing their job better than anyone else at the moment... everyone says how do we slow down Ferrari to make the show better, I say the others need to catch up! F1 goes around in cycles...late 80s it was Mclaren for a few years then Williams early 90s then williams then Mclaren ( Benetton got a couple too ) when Mansell and Hill won in 'their' seasons nobody complained, The fact is Ferrari have the whole package esp the awsome driver in Schumacher, hes not popular but he is fantastic at his sport, I have a little inside track as my best mate is a NO 1 mech at Minardi and he says Shuie is very well liked and respected by his team with no 'diva' tantrums unlike is Brother who the Williams boys say is a jerk.. When Michael won his 1st championship with Ferrari he bought EVERYONE in the team and factory right down to the cleaners a Tag F1 watch as a thank you...

As for the racing it is the restrictions that spoil the sport, tyres with gooves , engine limits, bargeboard sizes, etc etc, IMO the golden age was mid too late eighties with turbos huge sticky ' 1 lap ' qualifiying tyres massive wings . I thought the whole essence of F1 is technical innovation, that has been lost to some extent, I say build the fastest car you can and race it!! wink2.gif

( can you tell F1 is my thing?

Look forward to your views

Jason M

Posted · Report post

I use to love F1 but now - like many find it boring - but then again our 4 year old has discovered it and seems to love it blink.gif

he bought EVERYONE in the team and factory right down to the cleaners a Tag F1 watch as a thank you...

Is he not advertising for them- got a price on them if not free wink2.gif

Posted · Report post

Is he not advertising for them- got a price on them if not free 

I think hes an Omega man, I may have got the brand wrong but I doubt he got over 300 high end watches free......It didnt make the papers so it wasnt a publicity stunt, aparently hes a genuine nice guy..

Jason M

Posted · Report post

I am sure he is a nice guy though trying to run others off the track isn't that nice nono.gif

Now he has zillions in the bank so I am not really sure this was such a sacrifice and you MUST get a discount for those quantities.... but it is the gesture that counts wink2.gif

Posted · Report post

Thought you might bite first Jason. I used to be a huge fan of F1 even went to Silverstone but I'm just so bored with it now. It's not the ferrari domination. I think Michael is possibly the best there has ever been, even better than mansell laugh.gif

It just doesn't grip me as it did. All seems to be won by the mechanics now. Is it a drivers championship? It could be argued if you put any of the top 12 drivers in Michaels car they would get the same results.

It's just one big blast off at the start then procession laps interspersed with pit stops.

You don't see the racing or overtaking like you used to. You end up praying for a mechanical fault for excitement. A friend of mine is a big DC fan, her dad likes Jordan (the team not the plastic enhanced woman). He counted how many times DC actually overtook someone last season in racing conditions ie not lapping a backmarker. I think it was something like 10 times in the whole season, all the other gains and losses were made in the pits.

Maybee I have a rose tinted view of the late 70's early 80's seasons, to be honest 20 years has passed and my memory is buggered!

btw on Michaels salary he could have bought them all a ferrari each!

Posted · Report post

I am sure he is a nice guy though trying to run others off the track isn't that nice

Ah yes that must be the infamous Hill at Adelaide '95 episode.....maybe it was an error in judgement but last race / championship at stake, I dunno...its easy to judge from the armchair but I bet its different in the car, Senna has been praised as one of the greats ( rightly so IMO ) but he was a tough racer, holding off Mansell in Monaco 94, he also admitted taking off Prost at Suzuka 1990 deliberatly...F1 is and should be a tough sport...

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's just one big blast off at the start then procession laps interspersed with pit stops.

Your right, it isnt like it was, its almost a tyre championship now sad.gif worst thing they did was stop slicks, Rubens wasnt competative on Sunday cos he chose his tyre compound on Friday that he had to race with on Sunday!! wheres the sport in that???

I do think its lost its way big time but im still compelled to watch it....

Oh well at least weve a couple of new tracks this season!

Jason M

P.S Fantastic to see Jenson on the podium, punk.gifpunk.gifpunk.gif

Edited by jasonm

Posted · Report post

I'd BAN All Sport Off TV

They are just a load of over payed especially the footballers

Grumpy old man !

Posted · Report post

I have been a F1 fan for many more years than I care to remember. I was, and still am, a great fan of Jackie Stewart. I loved the turbo days............

These day, I really dont care too much who wins as long as it isnt Ferrari, a team I have despised for years for many reasons which I had not better go into. Anyone who remembers the 80s will well remember the antics and shenanegans of this team. Rubens is a good driver who deserves respect, schumacher senior is not as good as some people would have us believe, yes I know he has world championships, but he is very vulnerable under pressure and does not seem to relish head-to-head racing. When he transgresses, he seems to get lenient treatment, probably due to the " hero worship" of a certain organisation leader of small stature and great wealth ( ask tony blair!).

The season will improve especially when they get back to sane qualifying.

Posted · Report post

Unless its the image of Ferrari as a company you have issues with, the race team is almost certainly nothing like and cant be compaired to the race team of 15 years ago, I doubt if there is anyone left from those days.

I dissagree about Michael he is simply the best driver out there.. tongue.gif

Jason M

Posted · Report post

I dissagree about Michael he is simply the best driver out there

He is certainly the luckiest

Posted · Report post

He is certainly the luckiest

The more he drives the luckier he gets wink2.gif

after almost 200 races hes won 74 of them.......

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have been a F1 fan for many more years than I care to remember. I was, and still am, a great fan of Jackie Stewart. I loved the turbo days............

These day, I really dont care too much who wins as long as it isnt Ferrari, a team I have despised for years for many reasons which I had not better go into. Anyone who remembers the 80s will well remember the antics and shenanegans of this team. Rubens is a good driver who deserves respect, schumacher senior is not as good as some people would have us believe, yes I know he has world championships, but he is very vulnerable under pressure and does not seem to relish head-to-head racing. When he transgresses, he seems to get lenient treatment, probably due to the " hero worship" of a certain organisation leader of small stature and great wealth ( ask tony blair!).

The season will improve especially when they get back to sane qualifying.

Agree 100%.

Liked Mansell a lot. Won F1, went to the States, and won the Indy 1st time out...........freaking awesome. Hunt was great too.......never forget the championship was down to the last race in the wet in Japan. He gambled boldly with his tyres and romped it...............bloody superb!!!

Can't stand Schumacher..........

user posted image

Edited by Griff

Posted · Report post

God it's boring......zzzzzzzzzzzzzz biggrin.gif

Jason is obviously a knowledgable fan but the sport needs more floaters like me, who watch most sport but have decided to give F1 a miss and do something more interesting like removing woodchip tongue.gif I'd like to know the TV viewing figures for over the past ten years!

All the things new rules and regulations that Jason mentions boil down to one thing, less human risk. It is a motor race is it not? Then removal of risk removes all appeal for me. At the moment the wheel changes are more interesting than the race.

Posted · Report post

I have only been to a F1 GP once, in the arly 80's. The sport has changed so much over the past 10 years, it's only down to money, sponsors, and more money. I stopped watching when they decided it was OK for people to crash into their opponents to win the championship.

Gone are the days of the Tyrell P34 or Lotus 86 and 88... I'd rather watch replays of GP's from the 60's and 70's and even 80's than today's sponsor circus fuelled by media exposure...

Posted · Report post

I say "Bring Back Jacky Ickx" the original "rainmaster" cool.gif

Posted · Report post

Anytime Chris! punk.gif

Posted · Report post

I'd rather watch replays of GP's from the 60's and 70's and even 80's [/quote

I holehartedly agree with you, To me that was the 'golden age' too propper wheel to wheel stuff, there was pleanty of banging into each other then its just the cars could take it better, but I bet that in the 60's 70's 80's there were people saying 'its not like it was in the 30's 40's 50's.. biggrin.gif , the fact is you can say the same for a lot of things, music for example, we all prefer to remember things as they were at certain times in our lives, Its almost unfair to compare the eras as they are so completly different.. happy.gif

Jason M

Posted · Report post

Couldn't agree more with you on the "good ol' times" thing, Jason! It's just that I used to enjoy it at the time, now it just gets on my nerves... Money/the commercial aspect of sport has had the same effect on many other sports. Sportsmen/women earn salaries pushed up by income generated by the media, which increases the stakes and incites people to invest more money into it. In the end it's only about lots of people wanting to make money out of anything that sells.

Boat race coming up this week-end, now that's real sport: no professionals, although maybe now that Sky has won the rights to show the race the students will want their share! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Posted · Report post

students will want their share! 

Pot Noodles all round!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Posted · Report post

Even the Boats are crewed by "professional" Students, imported purely for their rowing prowess sad.gif

Posted · Report post

say "Bring Back Jacky Ickx" the original "rainmaster

Have you seen the Jacky Ickx bullheads Roys got..... cool.gif

Jason M

Posted · Report post

YOu've got a point there Chris. It's a bit like College Football in the States. As long as it's not for the money (not sure that's the case in the US), I can live with the fact that the rowers come from all over the world, it's a bit of folklore. And it does a lot for the quality of the race, otherwise University rowing is not always up there with the top...