• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
johnbrigade

So Any Ideas?

As I put in my introduction post, I have my Grandad's old Roamer mechanical watch. I was told that it was the watch he was issued when he joined the RAF in 1938, but of course I don't know that for definite. I never actually got round to asking him - I know he wouldn't make it up anyway and I'm assuming he would have told my mam the same thing. Anyway, any ideas from the below?

If the image is too big, let me know and I'll resize it

1650306421_19c274b0f8_b.jpg

1650317035_393c97f90f_b.jpg

Edited by johnbrigade

I'm pretty sure those Roamer Brevete models come out in the 1950's John.

I did wonder about that Stan, as all the (limited) info I've found online did suggest that.

Then I found this: [http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10614 - There's a post about 4 or 5 posts down that says somebody's Dad also got their Roamer in WW2. I also read that Brevete is the French word for Patent, so it may be possible to date the patent numbers.

I am a huge fan of Roamers. Looks early 50s or late 40s to me. but there is no way to tell for sure. The 215999 and 180549 are Swiss patent (or brevete) numbers and all Roamers of that period have them. If you can open it up and photo the movement we can try a stab at dating that. (The crystal and back come out together btw, it's a press fit. Then you lift the crystal off, again a press fit. The movement is held in the back by the winding stem. That is a split-stem arrangement. It comes off with a frighteningly sharp tug.)

I am going to guess that is an early 1950s with an MST372 or MST400 movement. Three clues make me doubt it is earlier - sweep seconds (not subdial), 17 jewels and shock-resist. All were introduced around 1950.

With the family history behind the watch if you want to try restoring it, it is quite possible to do so. It wouldn't be worth it on purely financial grounds though.

Lovely piece. :thumbsup: