Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Swiss Emperor

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi.

Recently whilst clearing out my mother in laws stuff we found this very nice Swiss Emperor watch which turned out to be my wifes Grandfathers.

I have tried to find information about them on the 'net but apart from a few turning up on ebay at wildly fluctuating prices we pretty much draw a blank!

Does anyone know anything about them?

Im not interested in selling as it is a family heirloom (of sorts) but I would be interested to find out wether they are a brand that is sort after or wether it is just a generic watch brand from the 40s/50s?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

IPB Image

Posted

I am not going to claim to be an expert, but I have had one or two Swiss Emperors. That one you have there is very nice - late 50s to mid 60s at a guess from the styling. Probably the 50s with the subseconds.

They are not particularly sought-after, but are a good mid-range Swiss manufacturer that collapsed, along with so many others, in the quartz revolution in the 70s and early 80s. As far as I know they were not a 'manufacture' - i.e. they used bought-in movements. The ones I had were FHF and AS movements as far as I remember. I would guess yours is an FHF.

Nothing, of course, can replace the history of that watch to your family, so its value to you is greater than its market value I suspect.

Posted

I am fairly certain that "Swiss Emperor" was a brand name used for watches sold by the H Samuel chain of High Street jewellers in the UK during the 60s and 70s.

Posted

"Everite" certainly was - but I had not heard that of Swiss Emperor before. I'm not disputing it though...

Posted

Excalibur was also one of Harriet Samuel's brands. :)

Posted

I love the numeral font :)

Posted

I am fairly certain that "Swiss Emperor" was a brand name used for watches sold by the H Samuel chain of High Street jewellers in the UK during the 60s and 70s.

I had a Swiss Emperor chrono with a Valjoux movement, I posted a pic on here about a year or so ago and somebody stated that it was a high street branded product.

Weirdly, I had people from the US fighting over it when I came to sell it on the bay.