Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ok How Do I Check A Rolex?

23 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I gave up on the official Rolex website, what a load of advertising and bull tongue.gif all I wanted to do was check a serial number for a watch I am thinking of buying....do you think there was anywhere there?

Would anyone here know the web address for this facility? All I need to do is check the serial number I have been given.

Thanks

best regards David

Posted · Report post

Nearly all watch manufacturer web sites are full of marketing bison (bigger than bull laugh.gif)

If you Google rolex +"serial numbers" you'll find loads of resources that tell you the manufacturing date based on the serial number. I don't know of any that provide more comprehensive info though.

Posted · Report post

OK, I was hoping there would be online resource for checking the state...ie the legitamacy of said watch.

But I shall google eek.gif for a while now.

Best regards David

Posted · Report post

QUOTE(rhaythorne @ Apr 7 2006, 08:23 AM) [snapback]141144[/snapback]

Nearly all watch manufacturer web sites are full of marketing bison (bigger than bull laugh.gif)

Just had a quick look at Roy's site just in case I've been missing the bull. Nowt there he must have hid it well biggrin.gif

Posted · Report post

QUOTE(PhilM @ Apr 7 2006, 09:04 AM) [snapback]141157[/snapback]

QUOTE(rhaythorne @ Apr 7 2006, 08:23 AM) [snapback]141144[/snapback]

Just had a quick look at Roy's site just in case I've been missing the bull. Nowt there he must have hid it well biggrin.gif

It's not hidden, I do not do Bull, laugh.gif

Posted · Report post

There is a lost/stolen register for Rolex watches.

According to another web site there is a telephone number 01322 553454.

Did a google on the number and found this:

Rolex Bexley

Check your Rolex against their ‘lost or stolen’ register

Tel (01322) 553454

They will ask for your home address, land line telephone number, watch serial number and model number. The service is free and they will call you back with the result.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wouldnm't that land you in it if you had bought a stolen jobbie? Edited by fredbloggs

Posted · Report post

Thats great, just what I wanted.....I rang them and got a recorded message saying any information I may give may be given to the police etc etc........and then just waited and waited and waited......maybe the message answering machine was stolen! blink.gif useless bunch of dopey dina's......

It's always such a pleasure to deal with Roy.......when is that new RLT GMT coming out Roy? laugh.gif

Oh well I'll try again...

Best regards David

QUOTE(fredbloggs @ Apr 7 2006, 09:22 AM) [snapback]141168[/snapback]

Wouldnm't that land you in it if you had bought a stolen jobbie?

Yes........I think the idea is to do what I am doing, check before you buy.

Best regards David

Posted · Report post

David,
pm me for a link that might help.

Dave.........

Posted · Report post

DONT send it to Rolex for a service, I know of a guy who did that, they sent him a letter saying the watch was on their stolen register and they were keeping it and informing the police!

Posted · Report post

QUOTE(pg tips @ Apr 7 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]141344[/snapback]

DONT send it to Rolex for a service, I know of a guy who did that, they sent him a letter saying the watch was on their stolen register and they were keeping it and informing the police!

Well in all fairness thats exactly what they tell you on the recorded answer machine when you ring them, also of course in law if you buy stolen property you have no right to it anyway....... nono.gif

So....yes.....don't send it to Rolex laugh.gif

Posted · Report post

go into a website called watch searcher, http://www.watchsearcher.com/ check your watch immediatlely and if ok you get a printout certificate and it is registered at their site

cheers
sam

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks for that Sam.......a site that should be in everyones favorites.....

Best regards David

BTW I decided against the Rolex GMT....am going for the SMP GMT Edited by Boxbrownie

Posted · Report post

QUOTE(sssammm @ Apr 8 2006, 08:23 PM) [snapback]141517[/snapback]

go into a website called watch searcher, http://www.watchsearcher.com/ check your watch immediatlely and if ok you get a printout certificate and it is registered at their site

cheers
sam

So as long as I can find the serial number I can register any watch as my own?

Posted · Report post

you have to register you details on the site first, every clean watch you register gets a cert saying the watch is not lost or stolen, and a reference number that can be checked on the site,
dont know what would happen with a dodgy one, probably a visit

sam

Posted · Report post

QUOTE(Boxbrownie @ Apr 7 2006, 07:59 AM) [snapback]141136[/snapback]

I gave up on the official Rolex website, what a load of advertising and bull tongue.gif all I wanted to do was check a serial number for a watch I am thinking of buying....do you think there was anywhere there?

Would anyone here know the web address for this facility? All I need to do is check the serial number I have been given.

Thanks

best regards David

Phone Rolex UK (Kent) - There is a telephone number for lost and stolen watches. You will have to give them the serial number and .. YOUR telephone number and they will call you back (or send the police aorund)

Correct, if the watch is stolen they will do that.
But
If is all in order - for £160 + VAt - Rolex will do a full service (very good too) and give out a one year warranty certificate too.

Posted · Report post

QUOTE(ENY55V @ Apr 11 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]141943[/snapback]

QUOTE(Boxbrownie @ Apr 7 2006, 07:59 AM) [snapback]141136[/snapback]

Thanks

best regards David

Phone Rolex UK (Kent) - There is a telephone number for lost and stolen watches. You will have to give them the serial number and .. YOUR telephone number and they will call you back (or send the police aorund)

Correct, if the watch is stolen they will do that.

And for sure if it was my watch that was stolen I'd want them to........I support the effort they make completely even if it does close down one source of a cheap watch! laugh.gif

Best regards David

Posted · Report post

Ok then, I went and had a real good look at an Explorer yesterday.....still not convinced, they may have the "name" and in house movement as well as a huge reputation (although what for is a good question, what a crappy lightweight cheap feeling bracelet nono.gif ) but I am really not happy with the hands and dial design, much prefer the SMP GMT face.

My problem is I love the explorer type bezel design and the SMP face ( and build quality feel ).....I wonder if the two companies would consider merging for me? laugh.gif

I'm off to sulk........ baby.gif

best regards David

Posted · Report post

I must admit that, when I bought my Rolex (GMT Master II), I was amazed at how light it felt. The chap in the shop found this surprising and wondered whether I was comparing its weight to certain large Breitling models! But, for me, the light weight was a bonus as I don't like heavy watches and, not liking bracelets either, I've got my Rolex on a NATO. If I get an Explorer, that'll no doubt end up on a NATO too.

The dial/hands probably account for 90% of my attraction to a particular watch. If I didn't like the Rolex dial/hands (which I do) but liked the SMP ones (which I don't particularly), I'd buy the SMP (which I haven't)... if you see what I mean blink.gif laugh.gif

Posted · Report post

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Posted · Report post

QUOTE(rhaythorne @ Apr 20 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]143470[/snapback]

The dial/hands probably account for 90% of my attraction to a particular watch. If I didn't like the Rolex dial/hands (which I do) but liked the SMP ones (which I don't particularly), I'd buy the SMP (which I haven't)... if you see what I mean blink.gif laugh.gif

Yep...absolutely agree....so I will probablly end up buying the SMP GMT, but I know if I do there will always be that nagging feeling that I could have bought a (cue, rays of light from heavenly place with harp music in background) Rolex laugh.gif

Stupid thing is, the Rolex isn't "the best" watch in the world either! Just got that bloody name.

Just a thought, does anyone here know where it might be possible to get custom printed/etched bezels made? I reckon it would be worth the expense to get exactly what I want blink.gif ( and stop me pestering you all with my whinnings about GMT watches biggrin.gif )

best regards David

Posted · Report post

What do you want on a bezel?

Posted · Report post

QUOTE(jasonm @ Apr 20 2006, 04:42 PM) [snapback]143482[/snapback]

What do you want on a bezel?

Like this please? biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Nothing complicated, just a little different.....and IMHO easy to read.......why the hell should I have to read a 24hr display? I'm not in the military or a train driver laugh.gif

Best regards David