UK Watch Forum banner

Practice pictures

8K views 107 replies 20 participants last post by  brummie1875 
#1 ·
As some of you know, I'm just starting to put photography and watches into the same sentence. I thought it would be best to create this practice topic for users, open to feedback. :king:

A few shots I tried last night. :thumbsup:

U0UyLfX.jpg
E7kOVDo.jpg

aWf8Gsx.jpg
t2T9Siv.jpg

I took this one with the fish eye effect on.

QgEg9VA.jpg

See less See more
#6 ·
Good effort! A "light tent" or any kind of diffuser would cut down on the reflections.

I'll let you google "diy light tent".

It might help you out. :wink:

Reactions: Cassie-O
#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Great idea, Cassie.

You can minimize reflections of things with an semi-opaque shade, too. I find this gives the crystal a light hazy appearance, so usually use a matte black posterboard with a hole cut in it for the camera lens. But a solid posterboard can also block light, so.... Some trickiness and need for experimentation results.

20121209-0425_homemade_photoshade_setup_

#12 ·
Some more of last night's photography attempts. I went a bit experimental and put an LED mood light beside the watch to show different colours. Maybe not the best pictures, but I like the colouring. :king:

riq0pFj.png
AOveSVG.png
3Mlaq2A.png
ekQwxub.png
yDrT86W.png

This one was placed inside an LED candle, again not the best picture, but I like the effect. :cool:

nqjqWtc.png

Reactions: gimli and martinzx
#16 ·
Taken some today with my Canon c :thumbsup: amera, but have to agree with @Roger the Dodger that I ten to get the best pictures with my phone rather than my actual camera. :thumbsup:

5Au3FzS.jpgzonKkId.jpg

Cm4yQsX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/43HLrNj.jpg

US3KUqv.jpg
Photography is an ever evolving art. I once had all the SLR kit and ridiculously long telephoto and zoom lenses...I looked like a squaddie on a route march with a huge knapsack, flight case and tripod when I went out, plus there was all the hassle and waiting for the films to be developed, only to find that half of them were rubbish. DSLR came and went, then I switched to a Samsung compact which did everything I wanted. It was only when I bought my first smartphone that I realised I didn't need to lug bulky cameras (including so called compacts and bridge cameras) around. My latest Samsung tablet (3 years old now) does everything I want and more, and the built in editing suite is great. I expect that if I bought the latest version I would find an even better built in camera.

Great pics, BTW, Cass. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
Wrist shots are the pain in the as .Movement is the problem holding the phone pointing it at your wrist then pressing the button .I've even tried holding my breath and standing like a statue picture looks spot on then pressing the button makes you move .I would say watch on a stand camera on a tripod is the only way of getting it right.

#18 ·
I think this hobby naturally evolves into photography... I also tried the DSLR route but just did not have the time or inclination to be successful. I have had a few different compacts with good results. I currently used a Canon G9 with a light tent and I am happy with the results. I also have a decent camera on my Samsung S7 edge. Light is the key for good photos IMHO. :thumbsup:

20180303_124010.jpg

Martin-boader-1.jpg

I have had reasonable success with my S7 edge

20180423_174336.jpg

#19 ·
@A2orry Totally agree I can manage a reasonable wrist shot for WRUW, but anything other than is a no no. I will rig up my tripod soon and try a wrist shot and see if that make any difference. :yes:

@martinzx I never used to bother taking pictures of my watches until recently, even though I've been a member since April 2017. I only read the Watch Discussion forum to begin with then seemed to start reading others. But whenever I saw all the close up watch shots and the lume shots. That's when I thought this is something I would love to try and achieve. It's still great fun even though some of the pictures aren't so good, but that's what it's all about a bit of trial and error. In my case more error than success! :king:

#25 ·
Just trying outside in ma back door .only a matter of time before my wife's taking the pi55.
I've spend about half an hour each night for about the past week before I go to my bed trying to take some photos. The lights are on and off. Tablets shining on my watches to see if I can get any decent lume pictures. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, people think WIS are a bit strange! :whistling: :laugh:

Reactions: A2orry
#27 ·
I've got to ask why are there random pic's with special effects being put on this thread, I was enjoying seeing Cassies practice pictures and could see improvement along the way and I even understand people with experience giving pointers to help, but then other peoples random pics, whats that all about ?

#33 ·
@Foxdog , as @WRENCH and @Karrusel say it is about creativity and practice pics, but also how to "jazz" them up a bit too. :thumbsup:

Here are a few of my "effect" attempts:

Inspired by WRENCH. :yes:

hQoQyVq.jpg

Punk effect

JXATbGy.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.