UK Watch Forum banner

Let’s Settle it.....terms.

3K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  WRENCH 
#1 ·
Throughout my time on TWF what I call butterfly clasps have been variously called DEPLOYANT or DEPLOYMENT clasps.

There was a time when deployment was seen as a newbie error but I have noticed site after site coming up with deployment as a description, to the point I am thoroughly confused.

Which do you use or like me do you feel happy with both. :yes:

42257089001_0e4ef8a9b6_b.jpg

Cheers :thumbsup:

See less See more
#8 ·
so they got it wrong. Most UK jewellers use 9ct when describing gold fineness, but k or kt is correct

A carat is a unit of weight for diamonds and other gemstones. One carat equals 200 milligrams (0.200 grams). ... A karat, when used with gold, is a unit of purity-- 24-karat gold is pure gold, but usually you mix gold with a metal like copper or silver to make jewelry (because pure gold is too soft).

It is a case in point when things that are so commonly wrong that they just about become right. There will be about 10 times more 9ct gold watches listed on eBay than the correct 9k. If I was selling on there I would use both 9k and 9ct in the description - i'd hate to leave out the ill informed. :tongue:

And it is a deployant clasp

Reactions: RWP
#10 ·
Deployant means folding or something in French... because this is similar to an English word with an M then numpties get it wrong...

Typed this before my connection dropped and I see someone got thete first.

#11 ·
It's forrin innit!

I know that speaking forrin is out of fashion at the moment, but we should be above that sort of thing.

"Deployant" (or, at a pinch, "Faltschließe").

#17 ·
I prefer the Japanese version it's easier to remember デプロワイヤント

Reactions: JonnyOldBoy and RWP
#18 ·
:biggrin: That's all Katakana, so presumably a transliteration of "deproyant" :yes:

Reactions: wrenny1969 and RWP
#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Linguist's perspective.

"Deployment" has become correct through use. It is, however, a malapropism.

"Deployment" is a verbal noun; we say "THE deployment of troops" etc.
"Déployant(e)" is the present participle used adjectivally. "Une boucle déployante" is the French expression, literally meaning "an unfolding buckle" in the sense of "a buckle that unfolds".
"Le déploiement" has a very similar meaning to the English "deployment"; unsurprisingly, as the English is derived from it.
I am happy to be proved wrong, but I believe that no French speaker would say "une boucle déploiement".

It would be much simpler were we to call it, in plain English, a folding clasp. It's interesting also to note that the French think of it as "unfolding", whereas we would automatically think the reverse in English.

I fully accept that it will be called a deployment clasp, though I will never refer to it as such, and it will continue to jar with me a little because it is grammatically incorrect in its language of origin. Or perhaps one should say "mal à propos", hence my use of the term "malapropism". Technically, it is what we refer to as a cross-linguistic malapropism.

However, does anyone really mind? No, and I think it is perfectly reasonable for anyone who doesn't have a degree or at least considerable proficiency in French not to know that. So carry on deploying by all means. You're wrong, but you're forgiven.

#22 ·
I was guilty of saying deployment in the beginning, but to me it is deployant. I have noticed supposed watch sellers stating them as deployment though. :king:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.