• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Luke Orford

Methods for securing a watch dial

Hello, 

My names Luke, I'm a Jeweller / Silversmith by trade and currently in the process of making myself a watch, which I've always wanted to do and have zero experience in.

My problem is securing the dial in place in my case. What would be the best option ? Is it just a case of drilling and tapping small screws to hold it in place or using some sort of plastic clip.

I've attached pictures of where I'm at.

IMG_2352_zps5zyy5frn.jpg   IMG_2353_zpsujudeprx.jpg

The movement is a Myota 8215.

Look forward to any help anyone can give.

Thanks

Luke

Welcome to the forum! 

Aren't there post fittings to fix the dial to the movement?

yes the dial is fitted to the movement fine with the posts. What i'm struggling with is the dial staying in place in the watch case itself.

Now reading the title of this post i can see it might confuse! 

It looks to me as if the plastic movement holder may be too small as there seems to be a gap between the holder and the watch case. 

You may require a bigger movement holder. 

• Like 1

yeah I've been looking at some over images of movement holders, what i think I'm going to do is 3D print a small ring which i can fit in that gap and see if the tension holds it in place.

my one worry is that if the watch is hit it could just fall out of place.

If your measurements are accurate enough you should be ok. Just remember to create a bridge for the stem . 

If you do create a ring please put a photo or two on the forum as it would be interesting to see it especially if your idea works. 

Remember that the holder must hold both the movement from wobbling left and right but also up and down. You're going to have to make it in such a way that the case back will slightly press the holder downwards (remember, slightly) so that it won't move around.

As you can see from the pic below there are 4 indentations specially made for this. This is the system that most go for. Both in plastic and metal spacers/holders.

movement-holder.jpg

• Thanks 1

Doesn't Cousins sell these? Is this watch case an off the shelf, or custom job? 

BTW, I'm not a watch repair amateur, just a bystander. @simon2, @gimli, and others actually do this stuff. Listen to them, not me. ;) 

You can find various spacers, both plastic and metal, for sale but he needs one that will fit both the movement AND the case which I don't know if it's custom made or not...

I think we'd all like to hear more about your project. I like the color of the case. Is it some sort of resin or metal ?

Edited by gimli

Its totally custom, the case currently is a wax print that is going to be cast in silver.

Ive got a 3D render but its on my work PC so will post it tomorrow so you can see what I'm trying to achieve 

I'm an amateur, but I suspect that the simplest solution would be to make the inner diameter of your custom case take a standardized spacer ring (correct term?) that you can buy off the shelf, as it were, from Cousins or Frei for the movement that you want to use. @Roy made a number of lovely watches using NOS cases and such, he probably has  experience and deep expertise in these obstacles. 

I'm only here with my bucket of popcorn.gif because I can learn at your collective knee. :)

Edited by Chromejob

3 hours ago, Chromejob said:

I'm only here with my bucket of popcorn.gif because I can learn at your collective knee. :)

As am I, so I'm sat right beside you watching and occasionally dipping into your popcorn.  (But you're too engrossed to notice :biggrin:).

Edited by Biker
  • Haha 1

Looks a lot better than the vast majority of Kickstarters that come through these doors, nice one mate :thumbs_up:

For what it's worth, I think the black one looks best.  Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Thanks alot, if this does work out maybe i would give kick starter ago!

I initially wanted to make bright coloured watches but the black and gold is starting to look pretty good to me.

Presentation%20yello_zpsgfdjkept.jpg Presentation%20Blue_zpsv8vbzd5t.jpg Presentation%20red_zpszyzgp7qi.jpg

Quick update before I leave the office, I've got my movement holder in and it works fine but it was an absolute ball ache to get it to sit in there. I definitely need a better way to secure it. maybe i just alter it so that i can screw the dial in from behind

(on that note does anyone know where i can get small screws from that are not in an assortment box?, like a bag of the same size micro screws?)

Here is a close up photo,

IMG_2364_zps4sol1tj9.jpg 

The black ring sits in between the the Original white mount and my case's internal wall.

The dial is not going anywhere, its really held in there, but if it needs to come out again that could cause an issue.

• Like 1

small update if people are interested. Remodelled the inside and now have a fitted movement holder that should hold everything in place. 

This movement holder gets rid of the one that came with the Myota 8215. Not sure if this should be metal or not yet.

Here's a drawing to show how it should look.

watch%20explosion_zpsiimppx8o.jpg

Imo a plastic spacer will give the mech movement more shock protection versus a metal spacer.

Edited by bry1975

On 21/05/2018 at 13:27, Luke Orford said:

small update if people are interested. Remodelled the inside and now have a fitted movement holder that should hold everything in place. 

This movement holder gets rid of the one that came with the Myota 8215. Not sure if this should be metal or not yet.

Here's a drawing to show how it should look.

watch%20explosion_zpsiimppx8o.jpg

:thumbs_up: