• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
stats007

Fake Watches on Gumtree

3 hours ago, gimli said:

I read somewhere that it's illegal to buy/sell fakes/replicas in France and that you can really get in trouble for this. I wonder if this means that all the local advert websites in france are, mostly, fake free. Would like to heard about this. Would be very nice to have no fakes in sight...

There are fewer fakes on EBay France Gimli although the odd one pops up for silly cheap money with no claims made just a rider saying purchaser to make up his own mind, they invariably disappear fairly quickly. The customs and the Police are fairly vigilant and there is usually swift action taken. I know of a guy who came back from Thailand and was asked to show his receipt for the watch he was wearing, he couldn't unsurprisingly but the customs found receipts for the 4 other fakes in his case. They took them all and I believe the fine was in excess of €6000 although this part is just rumour. The Police patrol car boot sales here (vide greniers, means empty loft) and have been known to take action very swiftly if anything fake is found. I believe there is more action in the cities than we see out in the sticks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, niveketak said:

There are fewer fakes on EBay France Gimli although the odd one pops up for silly cheap money with no claims made just a rider saying purchaser to make up his own mind, they invariably disappear fairly quickly. The customs and the Police are fairly vigilant and there is usually swift action taken. I know of a guy who came back from Thailand and was asked to show his receipt for the watch he was wearing, he couldn't unsurprisingly but the customs found receipts for the 4 other fakes in his case. They took them all and I believe the fine was in excess of €6000 although this part is just rumour. The Police patrol car boot sales here (vide greniers, means empty loft) and have been known to take action very swiftly if anything fake is found. I believe there is more action in the cities than we see out in the sticks.

Very nice. It should be like that everywhere. Fakes might be illegal more or less everywhere but you rarely see people get fined for them... Tons of fakes being sold on our local adverts as well. I wonder if they'd get taken down if you report them...

31 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Guess there's always the question of whether the owner is a willing buyer or has been duped into buying a fake by an unscrupulous seller - easier to assume the end owner is the victim of the crime rather than the criminal, a good proportion of fakes would be sold to people who just don't know any better. Also if you face prosecution for buying, who's going to report the sellers?

I get your point , but the law is not used that way in France.... Unlike the French usually, they actually make the law work....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I get your point , but the law is not used that way in France.... Unlike the French usually, they actually make the law work....

Always an impressive achievement:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, stats007 said:

It's a discussion about being scammed and Gumtree not caring

Did you report it to Gumtree pointing out exactly how to tell that these are not genuine Rolex watches. If the information was also copied in to the local Police and Trading Standards then Gumtree might take it seriously.

Multiple times - they don't care. I have said it will be sent to Trading Standards next but the advert is still there so probably time to get them involved.

On 03/05/2018 at 10:59, WRENCH said:

I like the James Ross touch.

I wonder if there is any connection as they are based in Portslade and that is the location shown in the Gumtree ad. Doubt if anyone from TWF would get sucked in with most photos being of the bracelet(s) and no details about the watches such as age, box, papers etc.

So the subject is, Why won’t Gumtree take my report for action and remove this listing? Who knows, report it it to the official agency and see where that goes. 

Edited by Chromejob
  • Like 1

It's the same as shpock full of fakes they don't care, you report them they remove them( sometimes) then they get relished it's a joke.