Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JonnyOldBoy

Any Bremont lovers out there ?

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

 The watch I tried on was exceptionally well made....

I have absolutely no doubt it was. I personally don't like theme watches, sticking bits of an old plane, and logos of nostalgic motor/cycle companies is "hijacking ' someone else's history, and has nothing really to do with the watch other than in my opinion cynical marketing.

3 minutes ago, Caller. said:

and I even know Henley.

I have spent a lot of time in Henley, and would have thought with its famous heritage it would have been a selling point.

Jumped off here as well.

DSCN2037.jpg?resize=600,450

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I have absolutely no doubt it was. I personally don't like theme watches, sticking bits of an old plane, and logos of nostalgic motor/cycle companies is "hijacking ' someone else's history, and has nothing really to do with the watch other than in my opinion cynical marketing.

It's not hi-jacking when there is a formal association between the various parties involved, which as far as I am aware, has always been the case with Bremont. Anyway, they seem to have changed their marketing as it's been a while since they have stuck bits and bobs in a watch. CW have taken that role on - bit's of concord is in one of CW's next LE's.

I actually think the back of the Wright flier looks stunning and the front is pretty tasty as well.

IMG_0148.jpg

Right, footy's over and it's nearly 03.50 here - bedtime!

Edited by Caller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Caller. said:

It's not hi-jacking when there is a formal association between the various parties involved....

Indeed.... The piece I tried on was a collaboration piece.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had six and had no quality issues at all. Down to three at the moment, really like the brand. Customer care has been exceptional.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Caller. said:

I actually think the back of the Wright flier looks stunning and the front is pretty tasty as well.

From the front, I have to agree. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crikey that's a Marmite watch!

11 hours ago, Caller. said:

I don't understand what you mean. Anyone that has a supply of Bremont watches and paraphernalia, is an AD. there are loads in the UK as evidenced by their website and other threads on the brand. I'm struggling to believe that any of them are hiking their prices when discounts is now the name of the game and the price of each watch is on the website. 

I was referring to independent dealers selling second-hand. Bremont residuals are generally poor when you look at what sells actually on eBay / Gumtree etc. That's what happens when there's a limited market.  I bought one because I liked the look and feel and it was nicely made (apart from the wonky dial). Having owned one and spent a good 6 months trying to sell it I wouldn't buy another though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, stats007 said:

Crikey that's a Marmite watch!

I was referring to independent dealers selling second-hand. Bremont residuals are generally poor when you look at what sells actually on eBay / Gumtree etc. That's what happens when there's a limited market.  I bought one because I liked the look and feel and it was nicely made (apart from the wonky dial). Having owned one and spent a good 6 months trying to sell it I wouldn't buy another though.

Fair enough, but that wasn't very clear from your post. But surely if you bought 2nd hand and at the right price, not inflated, you should be able to sell it on as the hit has already been taken? It's well documented their residuals aren't great. I just had a look on ebay and there aren't really many there for sale. I don't know much about serial flipping, but they don't seem to come up too often on the forums I use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Caller. said:

It's not hi-jacking when there is a formal association between the various parties involved, which as far as I am aware, has always been the case with Bremont. Anyway, they seem to have changed their marketing as it's been a while since they have stuck bits and bobs in a watch. CW have taken that role on - bit's of concord is in one of CW's next LE's.

I actually think the back of the Wright flier looks stunning and the front is pretty tasty as well.

IMG_0148.jpg

 

 

Too similar to the style of the Omega Dynamic and other similar pieces in my view....

 

3025.091.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, artistmike said:

Too similar to the style of the Omega Dynamic and other similar pieces in my view....

Well, where do you think they got their inspiration...? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, artistmike said:

 

Too similar to the style of the Omega Dynamic and other similar pieces in my view....

 

3025.091.jpg

How is that anything like the Bremont apart from the mildly comedy numerals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stats007 said:

How is that anything like the Bremont apart from the mildly comedy numerals?

Its nothing like it .... he visits the big cities wearing Rupert Trousers and thinks he is wearing 501s.......

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

On 03/05/2018 at 16:52, Caller. said:

I don't know much about serial flipping, but they don't seem to come up too often on the forums I use.

I know 3 people in my network now who own these... and none of them have sold the ones they own , they absolutely love them...... The residuals generally are weak simply because the RRPs are steep , but 25% off RRP for a Bremont in the UK is pretty standard if you avoid the main players. So it an issue that can be navigated.

I had a really good look at a few today at Beaverbrooks ( Whitely ) and co-incidentally they had a £4.8K Bremont a few inches away from a TAG that looked fairly similar , but was £4K .

They both looked fabulous.... but not £800 apart.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

in my network

 

I must use that one down the line :yes:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reggie747 said:

I must use that one down the line :yes:

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reggie747 said:

I must use that one down the line :yes:

Perhaps I should have used the phrase : "Social Matrix" !? ,,,, its hard to communicate sometimes with wilderness types !?!? :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chromejob said:

Well, where do you think they got their inspiration...? 

I do like the originals that all these watches took their inspiration from, like the 1936 IWC Pilot watch on the left below I just wish that modern companies wouldn't quite so desperately try to copy and come up with these sorts of artificial connections. Why can't more of them try to be innovative, it's still possible as some companies manage to demonstrate but Bremont seem to have built their business model on these sorts of 'homages' and associations, not on their own individual style and are then cynically trying to charge the earth for it.

 

IWC-pilot-watches-vintage.jpg

Edited by artistmike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stats007 said:

How is that anything like the Bremont apart from the mildly comedy numerals?

I'm referring to the generic "Pilot" watch style that's been around a very long time as can be seen in the IWC Pilot watch in my post above and which is often copied... :)

Edited by artistmike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, artistmike said:

I do like the originals that all these watches took their inspiration from, like the 1936 IWC Pilot watch on the left below I just wish that modern companies wouldn't quite so desperately try to copy and come up with these sorts of artificial connections. Why can't more of them try to be innovative, it's still possible as some companies manage to demonstrate but Bremont seem to have built their business model on these sorts of 'homages' and associations, not on their own individual style and are then cynically trying to charge the earth for it.

 

IWC-pilot-watches-vintage.jpg

 

20 hours ago, artistmike said:

I'm referring to the generic "Pilot" watch style that's been around a very long time as can be seen in the IWC Pilot watch in my post above and which is often copied... :)

Well I think in the case of the Pilot's/Flieger watch style for the Wright Flyer homage, they're justifiably channeling some early 20th century watch designs. I've seen lots of Bremont originals that really don't remind me of anyone elses: Supermarine, U-2 (issued only current and former U-2 pilots), many others. Naturally, many of them have aviation influences, the Bremont bros are historic aviation nuts. That gets them some cred in my book. CW, as another homegrown British watch maker, seem to base their offerings on classic styles, with some in-house touches for individuality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

About Us

The Watch Forum started in 2001 as a forum for RLT Watches customers. Since then it has grown into a world wide community of watch enthusiasts and a large resource for all types of horology.

Contact Us

Email : admin@thewatchforum.co.uk

Phone: 07762 569 999
×