• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
BondandBigM

A bit of trivia - can you name them all

This pic popped up on my twitter. 

FMu8CO.jpg

I got Jackie Stewart, Bugner, Bobby the Klepto and I think the blond bloke was a runner. 

Roger Taylor (tennis) on the left, and Tony Jacklin between Hemery and Stewart.

I can't name any of them but they don't look like today's "men"... :whistle:

Edited by gimli
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AVO said:

Roger Taylor (tennis) on the left, and Tony Jacklin between Hemery and Stewart.

Yes, Hemery, not Hemmings.

1 hour ago, Caller. said:

Yes, Hemery, not Hemmings.

Hey come, it was 4-50 in the morning when i saw the pic. :laugh: 

i thought Tony Jacklin was smaller?? 

Bugner went the distance with Ali (twice) and Joe Frazier but usually disappointed on the big stage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ABaird3 said:

On the far right is Keith Moon(?) the drummer.

Who Jackie Stewart is Keith Moon! :laugh:

12 hours ago, Steve D UK said:

Was that an Adidas advert or was that all that was available in those days? :laugh:

Britain's version of Superstars. 

A better question for the intro might have been which superstar wasn't featured in the photo?

1973[edit]

330px-Dick_Button_at_1980_Winter_Olympic

Dick Button, the creator of the US version of Superstars

Originally aired in the US by ABC in March 1973, Superstars was first broadcast in Britain on 31 December 1973 as "Britain's Sporting Superstars", closely following the American format. David Vine, who was the main presenter of the BBC programme from 1973 to 1985, said "in 1972, Ron Pickering, myself, Don Revie, Billy Bremner and TV producer Barney Colehan sat in a hotel in Leeds and formulated Superstars but the BBC dismissed the idea. Then Dick Button started it in the States and the BBC bought the rights".[1]

Recorded at Crystal Palace in August and promoted as a challenge between Britain's seven best sportsmen, the contest was won by David Hemery, the 1968 Olympic champion in the 400 metres hurdles, defeating Jackie Stewart, Bobby Moore, Joe Bugner, Roger Taylor, Tony Jacklin and Barry John. Featuring the first ever gym test (devised by Pickering, and comprising circuit running, a medicine ball throw, parallel bar dips and squat thrusts) the event came down to the final steeplechase, where Hemery overcame a 100m handicap to pass Barry John with 60 metres left. Shown on New Year's Eve, the programme was a major success and was repeated the following year.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars#British,_European_and_International_Superstars

Just think, in today's world their sponsors probably wouldn't allow them under the same roof together.

On 17/04/2018 at 09:05, Turpinr said:

Bugner went the distance with Ali (twice) and Joe Frazier but usually disappointed on the big stage. 

Years ago, my mate worked in the city and had a generous client entertainment allowance. He once put me down as a client and took me to see Joe Bugner v Frank Bruno at White Hart Lane in around 1986/7.  Can’t remember anything spectacular about the boxing except how slow it seemed in real life. It looks fast and furious on the telly but in real life, it looked like it was in slow motion. Perhaps it was just those two? 

Edited by Steve D UK

6 hours ago, Steve D UK said:

Years ago, my mate worked in the city and had a generous client entertainment allowance. He once put me down as a client and took me to see Joe Bugner v Frank Bruno at White Hart Lane in around 1986/7.  Can’t remember anything spectacular about the boxing except how slow it seemed in real life. It looks fast and furious on the telly but in real life, it looked like it was in slow motion. Perhaps it was just those two? 

Bugner was ancient and big Frank was like a statue. 

There's no doubt though that Bugner mixed in some good company. 

If Bruno had Bugners chin or if Bugner had Brunos dig we'd have had a decent boxer 

Edited by Turpinr