• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Always"watching"

The New Hublot Big Band Unico TMT Carbon Gold

Full frontal shot of the new Hublot Big Bang Unico TMT Carbon Gold chronograph wristwatch (pic from horasminutosesegundos.com):

88c8acd23703263c3337f366e33481ec_XL.jpg

“Watch designers take their influences wherever they can be found, but few will have thought to transfer the codes of a boxer's trunks to a timepiece. That Hublot has done so is testament both toits 'dare to be different' attitude (it launched the Big Bang in 2005, pointedly targeting high net worth high achievers) and a deep alliance with the kind of exceptionalism Floyd Mayweather represents. The first 'billion-dollar boxer' now has the beater to match: his own limited-edition Big Bang Unico TMT Carbon Gold featuring a unique powdered gold/carbon fibre composite 45mm case. Its clear caseback is inscribed with the champ's undisputed claim that he is 'The Best Ever'.”

Quote from Bill Prince in GQ Magazine, May 2018

I'm afraid that my interest in this limited edition chronograph watch has nothing to do with boxing, and I am not even a particular fan of Hublot watches. What first piqued my interest was the name of this watch, which I really like and which is so evocative of the boldness so redolent of Hublot watches generally. Also, I do like certain aspects of the watch itself, so let us take a look at it and reveal its specifications.

The watch features a 45mm (15.4mm thick) case made of carbon fibre with encrusted 18 carat gold 3N occlusions and is 100 metres water resistant. The skeletonized dial is matt black with gold tone hands, and the gold occlusions, which are hand inserted into the carbon fibre layers before compression, dress the bezel as well as the case. The appliqué monogram (using a technique more frequently found in fabric quilting than in watches), TMT, is placed at the 12 o'clock position, and the watch has sapphire crystals front and back. The back of the watch bears the Floyd Mayweather inscription, TBE, “The Best Ever,” and the strap is in calf leather enhanced with python and gold studs, transposing the codes of the famous shorts worn by Mayweather during his latest fight in 2017 when for “The Money Fight” with Conor McGregor, Floyd Mayweather wore Hublot on his belt. These shorts became emblematic and were the focus of the Hublot limited edition Big Bang Unico TMT Carbon Gold watch, even to the extent of Hublot launching it in the setting of that fight's location. The watch is limited to 100 pieces, and each comes with a set of boxing gloves signed by Floyd Mayweather.

Three views of the Hublot Big Bang Unico TMT Carbon Gold (pics from Hublot.com, i0.wp.com/luxuryes.com, and at bottom i.pinimg.com/originals):

BB_TMT_Gallery_81.jpg

Hublot-Big-Bang-Unico-TMT-Carbon-Gold-ba

d25a23db1db7e361b96ee6570971d3da.jpg

The Hublot Big Bang Unico TMT Carbon Gold is an automatic chronograph watch with flyback action, so we should say something about its mechanics. The watch is powered by a movement that to the cognoscenti is apparently a bit special. This is the Hublot in-house Unico caliber HU1242 that comprises no less than 330 hand-assembled components and has a three-day power reserve. In fact, my biggest gripe about the watch is that the overly dominant "TBH" and script "monogram" on the rear crystal obstruct a decent view of the movement.

The Hublot Big Bang Unico TMT Carbon Gold chronograph watch will set you back about US$28,300/£23,400 and if you feel that even that watch is a bit understated then you can opt for the satin-finished yellow gold jewellery Big Bang Unico TMT in which over 400 diamonds have been set into the case, dial and bezel. This model is in a limited edition of only ten pieces, and the price is US$93,700. I show a picture of this version as my "end-piece" here below.

I am not averse to bold and visually striking watches, and even though there will be many detractors of this Hublot offering, I am not going to be one them. Hublot have made larger watches than this and 45mm isn't grotesquely large. The overall design and decoration of the watch is actually quite impressive in my opinion, but for me, wearing a watch based on the shorts and sayings of a modern “billion dollar” boxer just isn't my cup of tea.

Floyd Mayweather sporting the new Big Bang Unico TMT Carbon Gold (pic from kissydenise.com):

Floyd-Mayweather.jpg

The gold and diamond jewellery version of the Big Bang Unico TMT (pic from s1.ibtimes.com):

big-bang-unico-tmt.jpg

• Thanks 2

Oh dear, a nice piece of workmanship, but I don't like the look of it at all.

• Like 1

I like the north sea oil rig logo at the top. :huh:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

At least they've put the price on the back...

Too Bl**dy Expensive.

:biggrin:

I thought it was "Trash Before Excellence". :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The Butt-ugliest Ever. 

Clearly targeted to those who want to wear a watch that he wears (how much you wanna bet he DOESN'T wear one at home), with his signed gloves, and boast about how limited this edition is and how much it cost. ("It cost almost as much as my gold-plated Bentley with the built-in KY Jelly dispensers in back, yo. Who wants to touch it? The watch, I mean.") 

And people snark and snicker about me waiting a few years for a beautiful and carefully assembled watch, when you can go out and buy this monstrosity right now. I rest my case. My watches are lovely, and don't make you hiss between your teeth and cover your children's eyes. 

• Haha 1

If that had been Chinese and £10 I would not have looked at it, that is over designed to the point of being stupid.

• Like 1

Truly awful. Hublot has to be one of the worst watch brands out there. Not much style over minimal substance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not his first Hublot

hublot-floyd-mayweather-jr-2-million-wat

I like the look of the Ferrari one he's wearing as some thought and design has went into actually making something that look not unlike a Ferrari engine. 

hublotlaferrarisapphireintext.jpg

You might not like them but surely you if you were a genuine wis you can't fault the amount of work that goes into making something like this. 

5 hours ago, Chromejob said:

waiting a few years for a beautiful and carefully assembled watch. My watches are lovely, and don't make you hiss between your teeth and cover your children's eyes. 

Are you sure ??? 

:laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

Truly awful. Hublot has to be one of the worst watch brands out there. Not much style over minimal substance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to agree. I think it’s over priced and vulgar, I also would not be interested such a watch. I’d rather buy all of the watches I do like and a couple of cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually think it works as a arty statement watch.

I would even go so far as to say , I actually like it ! :swoon:

[ But Hublot represent terrible value for money so would not buy it even if it did suit me , which it wouldn't ]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WOW, WHAT CAN I SAY? Not boasting, but I usually get a few positive reaction emoticons on topics I write for the Forum. But this time, NOT ONE.:laugh: It's all been expressed in posts.

It is amazing how strongly expressed your posts have been on this thread, and Hublot certainly gets it in the neck for this watch if this forum is anything to go by.

I do share most of the views expressed here by fellow members, but as I said in my topic, I couldn't bring myself to wholeheartedly criticise the watch itself. I do like the boldness of it, and that interesting camouflage carbon and gold look to the case and bezel. I also quite like the dial and hands, and of course that movement is a pretty fine thing. For me, the main problem would be the fact that wearing this watch "buys" one into a world that I honestly don't like - big-money boxing, and that would put me off even if the price of the watch was considerably less.

Many thanks for all the comments and the lively discussion. It really keeps the Forum bubbling...:biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coincidentally this pic popped up on my twitter 

qP2jsz.jpg

Now the Ferrari Hublot and something with 12 cylinders of Italian goodness in it. 

I could do that. 

Without trying to sound all @RWP I've probably asked this before when the Hublot haters pitched up. 

Have any of you that posted negative comments actually seen or tried one on or are you just hating for the sake of it. 

:whistle:

10 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Coincidentally this pic popped up on my twitter 

qP2jsz.jpg

Now the Ferrari Hublot and something with 12 cylinders of Italian goodness in it. 

I could do that. 

Without trying to sound all @RWP I've probably asked this before when the Hublot haters pitched up. 

Have any of you that posted negative comments actually seen or tried one on or are you just hating for the sake of it. 

Being all @RWP it’s nothing to do with hating Hublot but the watch has all the attractions of a steaming pile of excrement. 

19 minutes ago, RWP said:

Being all @RWP it’s nothing to do with hating Hublot but the watch has all the attractions of a steaming pile of excrement. 

A bit rich given some of the watches in your collection 

• Haha 1

Just now, BondandBigM said:

A bit rich given some of the watches in your collection 

Nothing as Liberace as that. :whistle:

…  Without trying to sound all [mention=47039]RWP[/mention] I've probably asked this before when the Hublot haters pitched up. 

Have you seen a Mk II Kingston or Key West in the flesh, or do you just call them “Mickey Mouse” and “borderline fake” for the sake of it. I’ll bet it’s the latter.

As you’ve said, “haters are gonna hate.” :taunt:

25 minutes ago, Chromejob said:

Have you seen a Mk II Kingston or Key West in the flesh, or do you just call them “Mickey Mouse” and “borderline fake” for the sake of it. I’ll bet it’s the latter.

As you’ve said, “haters are gonna hate.” :taunt:

Don't need to see it to know it came from a bloke with no imagination or R&D, took the money first just on the off chance then made you wait forever hoping to make a quick buck. 

Arguably it doesn't matter how good it is or isn't. At the end of the day it's a straightforward rip off of someone else's hard work and a few, including yourself, sucked it up and paid stupid money. 

And yes I've actually been in contact with a real Hublot, it was a superbly crafted bit of kit. Whether it was worth the money is subjective.