UK Watch Forum banner

Idiots on eBay

3K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  odyseus10 
#1 ·
Ok, so here's a chance for a rant about the idiots you have come across on eBay, whether as a buyer or, perhaps more likely, as a seller.

The latest dotard I encountered yesterday submitted a decent offer on a watch I have for sale. Just as I was about to accept, I received a message, 20 minutes after the offer was submitted, which read as follows:

"Hi I put an offer for this item but I would like to retract it. I do not want to purchase the item I was only wondering if you would accept it. Thank you."

Can anyone make any sense out of this at all?!

What experience have you had with the intellectually-challenged on eBay?

#2 ·
I have had the exact same scenario... I just cancelled the bid and moved one... I couldn't be assed to even argue with him about it...Some people are just plain stupid and when you realise that life becomes a lot easier...[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I think I have you saved in my EBay searches... And it wasn't me...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#5 ·
A couple of christmases ago, we were selling a surplus iPad. It was won by some scoundrels (I should have known- zero feedback) who failed to pay, in fact failed to respond at all. I had to cancel the sale, and relist JUST in time to resell it. I do wonder why people bother with doing that.

#8 ·
I tend not to bid if they are being silly about prices. My one outstanding experience was a watch I bought from an Ebay France seller. The watch arrived but had stopped working. I notified him and said if he authorised me I would try a new battery. He readily agreed and the watch ran immediately with a new battery, all was well. I let him know all was well and he wanted to know what it had cost for the battery. I said it was only 2 euros so it didn't matter. A week later the correct battery, a leather strap (new) and a bracelet (used but good) arrived in the post along with a 3 pack of Snickers (funny how you can give off the "chocolate lover" vibe in an email). We corresponded for about 5 weeks afterwards until Ebay stopped it. It wasn't till after I bought the watch I realised he had only 4 sales behind him. Top man (or woman I suppose none defined name) and I hope he/she does well.

There are some idiots and evil b**t**ds on Ebay but also some top people.

#9 ·
I haven't sold on eBay for ages but when I did it was generally ok. As a buyer I do frequently see people clearly using a second account trying to raise the price on an item.

How do I know? Fairly easy to spot when you are bidding on something, nobody else is then suddenly a bid comes in, not much, just enough to try and goad you into sniffing war. It's always good fun to watch the "Mystery bidder" win then see the item re-listed a week later presumably when the seller thinks everyone has forgotten. I have seen item re-listed several times over like this, they clearly think the item is worth more than it really is and those zero fees offers eBay frequently throws around are just too good to miss.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Haven't had any major issues with people on eBay so far. Someone from Italy bought a quartz watch from me and in transit the battery was done and he got mad and perhaps frightened that I sold him a defective watch (despite the fact that in the photos you could see the seconds hand moving). He took it to a watchmaker and didn't reply to my messages anymore so I guess everything was OK eventually. Nowadays I try to supply an extra battery when I sell a quartz watch, just in case.

What bothers me about eBay is people not leaving feedback. Very few people leave feedback even though I offer it to everyone. Recently I included a spare battery and a brand new NATO strap after selling a watch to someone and they didn't even bother...

#11 ·
If I do buy from eBay I always allow for faults undisclosed by the seller. Two watches arrived last week and one had a crown that just unscrew off, and the other the second hand hits the minute hand. I very rarely sell on there due to bad experiences of scammers

#13 ·
A timely subject,... things can go swimmingly along, then just recently a spate of numpties,

Few days ago had a Seiko up for auction and four days before it was due to end I was asked to end auction early for a rubbish offer, I said politely It's an auction and don't stop auctions for an offer as it really is not in my interest, The lady went off in a huff but proceeded to win auction despite, obviously for allot more than she wanted, then total silence, after the time limit allowed I started a non payment dispute and finally she paid after days, sent watch off and when she received it I got messages saying she wanted to return it as it didn't have it's outer cardboard sleeve or instructions, before I could reply she started a returns case, I replied saying you will be pleased "I have found your missing instructions and outer box" she now has been sent these but still has not stopped the return request,

Still on going

#14 ·
Won an auction for a moonwatch a few years ago for £1800, no reserve, BIN. The seller then messaged me saying that he was cancelling the sale because he was a student and just couldn't let it go for that amount, but offered a phone number to complete the deal outside of ebay. I then left him negative feedback saying he was a time waster, which knocked about 10% off his feedback score. For about 2 weeks I got numerous tearful messages asking me to remove the feedback becvause he used facebook to aid with his income and so on. Then it was about 2 weeks of more abusive messages about how I was vindictive and so on. Utter plonker. If you need something to sell for a certain amount, then stick a reserve, or list as BIN.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Around a year ago I put 6 old tickers on as spares all repairs. Stated that they were all manual hand wound and they all run but needed regulating and sold them for spares or repairs.

They were bought and posted off, 28 days later he had filed a complaint that some were not working as he was unable to fit battery's in them. My options were to refund him and let him keep the watches or have him post them back to me and pay for the return postage. I asked him to return them and a few days later a package arrived, there were only 5 watches in it 3 of the original watches I sent him and 2 POS Quartz one with no winder and cracked glass.

I complained the eBay but they found in his favour, I had emailed him and asked why he had only returned 5 instead of 6 and where were the other 3 watches I had sent him. I received a reply from him asking for my address so he could send him mates round to sort me out. I emailed him back asking if he was just stupid or had mental health issues as he had just posted a package back to me. This set him off on a series of abusive emails to me which I copied and sent to eBay as abuse but nothing came of it.

So in the end I was 3 watches down and had to refund the pillock, oh and to top it all he left me bad feedback. :rolleyes:

Oh and the idiots who send in offers. Listed a camera for £599 or best offer one muppet offered £25.

#16 ·
E-Bay is becoming a nightmare for buying 2 items i ordered never received even though dispatched. Messaged them a few times no reply.

Now its the long wait for E-Bay to refund the money, got to wait 14 days etc. I see a lot from Bulgaria are these trustworthy? personally do not but from abroad. Until E-Bay steps up always the scammers and time-wasters as above

#17 ·
The eBay Gods are clearly against me today. I've been haranged by a guy in the US into accepting a bottom-end offer - now he's decided he wants to cancel the transaction. Bit of an inconvenience as the eBay offer fee was £1, but if I relist it now it will be the normal 10%.

#18 ·
Worst ever I had was the guy in the US who bought my Breitling Steelfish, paid with PayPal but then did a chargeback without stating a reason. I started a case with both PayPal and Ebay and after supplying a forest of information to both the guy released the charge back.

In the meantime he'd sold the watch on.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Been selling on there for 2 decades.... to over 10,000 customers.... I could write a book.

However ... every cloud has a silver lining because that very same week , A Greek Shipping millionaire bought about 1/2 my entire eBay stock.....

So....... funny that in 20 years , my best buyer appeared !?!?
Strange!

What would a Greek Shipping Millionaire do with 1000 ladies thongs ?

Always thought our very own Sultan had the biggest harem!

Hmm :hmmm9uh:

:tongue:

#20 ·
To be fair to ebay for all the bad experiences (and I have had a few, a nut case seller from N Ireland a few years ago who went off like a rocket when I asked a question about an item when it arrived) to the duel ebay ID sellers who try and get a bidding war started on their item they listed on an ebay offer and want to avoid a BIN fee. Always good to see these clowns re-list the same item with a comical "Relisted due to non payment/time waster" Why not just be honest and say "Relisted due to idiotic plan for bidding war failed miserably because other bidder knew what it was really worth" ebay is one of the safest places to buy and to a large extent sell.

Few experiences I have had with selling on ebay watches included have all gone pretty well. One guy from Central Europe who I was a bit worried about because of all the negative internet comments about selling to that part of the world turned out to be a stand up guy. Only issue I can think of was a watch getting lost in the post and my fault because I used recorded instead of signed for (Never made that mistake again) amazon on the other hand I had a few instances of items going "Missing in the post" Seemed to be especially London to the point I actually advertised will not sell to the London area. I do remember one guy from Yorkshire who bought an item from me and claimed it arrived damaged, I replied send it back for a full refund and it all went quiet. I then checked my feedback and the guy basically called me a thief and said I was one to avoid. Put a complaint in with amazon and also did a bit of my own detective work on his own feedback with sellers and soon found out he had been doing the same to other sellers, in short he would buy something, claim it was damaged then demand a full refund or threaten with negative feedback. Contacted a few sellers who all reported the exact same thing so I posted on his feedback something along the line of "Buyer to avoid, purchases item, claims its damaged then demands refund on threats of negative feedback" Literally within minutes my email inbox was full of replies by him swearing, calling me for everything, he had been buying and selling on the internet for years and I would never sell an item again" I just sent all copies to amazon who swiftly removed the negative feedback he wrote about me he didn't reply again or send the item back. Felt sorry for the other poor sellers who had fallen foul of this vile con man.

There have also been a few instances on forums of "Upstanding forum members" Turning out to be dealers buying cheap on the forum then selling at massive profit elsewhere, I have found plenty of good stuff on ebay I have to say its a pretty good (and safe) place to buy and sell.

Been selling on there for 2 decades.... to over 10,000 customers.... I could write a book.

But the biggest t**t was this Irish guy from Belfast , who bid and won an auction on an item , and then demanded I send him it for free "on trial" to see if he liked it.

When I refused I got email abuse for days , finally reported him to the boys-in-blue who contacted him and threatened him with arrest.
Blimey that may be the husband of the nut case I dealt with a few years back! :laugh:

#21 ·
This isn't really the place and the thread is only slightly relevant but I've been going mad guys. I've had my motorbike for sale for the past week, I must of had at least 10+ people ask me what's my best price, no questions about the bike, not a cheeky 10% off offer, not even a silly lowball chancer but straight up lazily asking for something for nothing. He art of haggle is dead. :(

#23 ·
I've been pretty lucky with ebay over the years. I've got nearly 800 positive feedbacks, and I can't really think of any horror stories, both buying or selling.

Case in point: my latest incoming, the mighty Hugo Boss. The description was pretty short, all it said was "Up for sale is a mens' Hugo Boss wristwatch. There are two pins in the strap missing, from either side of the clasp. Probably an easy repair but I haven't the knowledge! Also needs a new battery". However, there were numerous photos, all nice and clear, showing the watch and it's broken bracelet from all angles, nothing hidden or out of focus. If anything, when it arrived it was better than it looked in the pics, absolutely immaculate apart from a few scratches on the case back (which were clearly visible on the photos as well, so that was no problem). Battery in, bracelet ditched, replacement strap fitted, and I've got myself a decent looking watch for under £25 :thumbs_up:

#24 ·
Some VERY good watch bargains can be had on the Bay.... esp TAG , Breitling and Longines... basically those watches can all be got at 25% off RRP so there are often people on there selling watches that are not "quite right for them" and only a few months old , effectively new condition and 40% off retail is easily achievable.

Also some sellers are green and perfectly open to advice , case in point , a Guy was selling a Longines heritage that was 1 year old for more than it can be got new with discount... I contacted him and politely pointed this out... He thanked me , dropped the price to £100 below that mark and I think it sold that day ( it had been hanging around for a couple of weeks unsold ) ....

So I think is a great place for watches if one avoids the trap doors set by various dubious sellers....
Interesting I have never bought a modern watch on ebay but having read this post I had a quick look on ebay for Longines and found the heritage conquest at an average of £600 with box and papers. I have the heritage conquest and for the money is probably the best dress watch around and considering retail now is around the £800 mark and even on discount £700 around the £5-600 price bracket represents a very good savings on one of the most underrated watch companies out there. Saw a few more Longines on there too and as they are probably my favorite entry level brand I will certainly be taking a closer look on ebay.

Plenty of Tag watches too but even on heavy discount I just cant see myself buying Breitling unfortunately are so overpriced even on discount they are over valued.

Good call though, a few others are FC they are constantly there for good prices and are very good quality watches.

#25 ·
Just had a quick look through my blocked bidders list and our associated files and of the 15 "real problem" customers worldwide , strangely they are from the following locations :

Northern Ireland x 4

Spain x 2

Italy x 2

England x 2

USA x 2

France x 1

Australia x 1

New Zealand x 1

Never really thought about this before .... but that is really weird ....
I've only ever had two really bad deals on the bay - - one selling to Norn Ireland, one buying from Norn Ireland. The sale to NI, yer buyer stated as !Goods not as described! and asked for a refund but I had been in bed for four days with flu, Mrs. Mel likewise (in the other bed may I say) and no one to post the package, but my daughter posted it the morning AFTER he put in the request and report. Fortuneately she sent it as instructed and it was signed for so I asked if he wanted to keep it now that he ahd actually seen it and sent a photocopy of the signed for and a to and fro with eventually him backing down and keeping it.

The other, I bought a vintage radio from NI and I'm still waiting for it seven years later. Ebay did eventually do a refund but it was a hassle at the time!

Spain - - no problemas, pero escribo en espanol normalmente! Maybe that helps.

Take Crae, keep 'em tickin'

#27 ·
I don't venture onto EBay very often for watches but did win a nice vintage Omega for a ridiculously low price. The seller contacted me to tell me the watch wasn't working and he couldn't send it to me, calling his bluff I messaged him back and said no problem, I will fix it, put it in the post :yes:

He wasn't finished, his girlfriend had just taken it to his watch repairer so I was out of luck. OK it was a low price and he didn't want to let it go but the plank should have put a realistic reserve on it as well as spelling Omega right in the listing title :laugh:

#28 ·
I don't venture onto EBay very often for watches but did win a nice vintage Omega for a ridiculously low price. The seller contacted me to tell me the watch wasn't working and he couldn't send it to me, calling his bluff I messaged him back and said no problem, I will fix it, put it in the post :yes:

He wasn't finished, his girlfriend had just taken it to his watch repairer so I was out of luck. OK it was a low price and he didn't want to let it go but the plank should have put a realistic reserve on it as well as spelling Omega right in the listing title :laugh:
I did win one item years ago that the seller cancelled and when I contacted him he openly admitted he would rather take the hit with negative feedback than sell for such a low price (Was probably expecting a bidding war that never happened) Reading through the previous posts there does seem to be a common theme here with N Irish buyers and sellers which now thinking back to my experience makes me laugh. I purchased something and when it arrived it was missing a part that I had seen advertised in the shop so I simply contacted the seller and politely asked if it was the same item (If not I would have kept it anyway it was no big issue) Seller went off like a rocket, first response was that it was exactly as described, before I had even a chance to finish reading that one another came ranting on about what a great seller she was and how dare I question her, third e-mail (I still hadn't a chance to reply to the first one!) if you don't like it send it back but I expect it to be exactly as I sent it or else! Sent it back and got my money back (Couldn't be bothered dealing with the nut job, her rants even continued as the item was in the post on its way back to her) On reading her feedback it seems a few people had also experienced her bizarre temper.

Its experiences like that which actually make me glad ebay is now stronger in favor of the buyer as there was a lot of "You give me feedback" Bribes and threats back then, far too many people using ebay as a business (without of course declaring it, paying tax or adhering to any business standards) I have also been on the wrong end of dodgy buyers (Not on ebay but on other sales sites and also on watch forums a few times) at least ebay offers some protection and also doesn't care who you are if you have done something wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.