• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Hi everyone,

the most recent addition to my small watch collection is a Vostok amfibia. Not much to say other than its brilliant! My only concern is it seems the spring bars don’t appear to be great quality. I’m debating about purchasing another strap (18mm width) and I am open to suggestions. It’s currently on a rubber strap, whilst I do like the strap I’m happy to change it up to add a personal twist to the watch. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? And also do new straps tend to come with spring bars? apologies for my potentially naive questions. Up until now I’ve only ever bought watches, I’ve never replaced straps.

This is the amfibia currently 

EBEE07_B6-2369-44_E0-_BD48-_CC867556062_

NATO straps can look good on the Vostok Amfibia. I like the ones made by Phoenix, which are good quality if a little bit more expensive than some others (but still not costly). They usually come with spring bars, but these are often of doubtful quality. Most high street watch shops will have decent spring bars  for not very much, or get some of the ones on Amazon that get lots of good reviews.

Sorry @Jason89 your pic is not working for me. Some of the Amphibian models have sharp edges on the underside that are quite close to the spring bars, so unless you file them down a bit they can catch on a thicker strap. Here's some of mine.

large.20170402_093204_kindlephoto-683375.jpg.4855f7113f9d85783c5c7c53c49356fc.jpglarge.IMG_20170505_081201.jpg.3c9b35337cb222f3f85dd8824458f3df.jpglarge.20170325_142526_kindlephoto-16423690.jpg.2c3b35f95c30fa5d2d9cd854835b11be.jpglarge.1501929291618-396467291.jpg.b45b236f4b20b2a0ce0500d7c1c2e1f7.jpglarge.15014085891951935386306.jpg.7748b9c7e28aae21d5074d93fa038e4a.jpg

The last one required filing to get the strap to fit.

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. @WRENCH I’m not sure why my picture hasn’t worked. I’ve not had much luck posting images ha, I started with photobucket and then post image having found out that photbucket didn’t work :-/

You have some lovely examples tho so thanks for sharing them. One thing I’m curious about is the bezel. The bezel on my watch doesn’t click as I rotate it, is this the case with all of them? 

17 minutes ago, Jason89 said:

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. @WRENCHthe bezel on my watch doesn’t click as I rotate it, is this the case with all of them? 

The bezel is "friction" as opposed to a click ratchet type in most dive watches. It works well, and bezel changes are easy.

I'd personally go with a NATO even though I am not a fan of them at all. I have tried numerous options, but just don't feel that leather works with the 18mm lugs, while natos look much better. 

When buying a Vostok I always stick it on a NATO and swap the bezel (easiest job ever. Pop off, click on) :thumbs_up:

On 4/5/2018 at 15:39, Jason89 said:

This is the amfibia currently 

EBEE07_B6-2369-44_E0-_BD48-_CC867556062_

Welcome, Jason.  The pic didn't work, try looking through this thread for some tips: 

Generally, the "free" spring bars provided by some are going to be worth about what you pay for: little or nothing. Fear not, there are vendors like Cousins and O. Frei who sell first quality spring bars.

I have a thread on a DIY conversion of a G10 ("NATO") strap to an old fashioned single strap with cloth keeper. If you find one you like but you don't like the secondary strap (and the buckle ends up on the side of your wrist), a conversion is pretty easy. Practice on some cheap straps you don't care about before converting a good one. 

I also recommend Phoenix (Mickie500 on ebay) for first quality straps. Phoenix was and I believe still is a MoD supplier.  He/they also offer bunches and seconds on eBay that can save you some money; also overruns from private contracts. I have some lovely ones fr. an Italian contract. Maratac is another good brand. 

Another type of nylon strap gaining popularity are thicker, "seatbelt" weave straps. 

Beware of all the cheapies on eBay, may are from abroad, seem to have craptastic dying/printing on them, and barely satisfactory hardware. 

1 hour ago, hughlle said:

I'd personally go with a NATO even though I am not a fan of them at all. I have tried numerous options, but just don't feel that leather works with the 18mm lugs, while natos look much better. 

Entirely possible to go with leather. What helps is "notching" the strap by cutting off a wee bit from the lug area so that you have a "fitted" appearance. Here's a before and after of my original, an attempt with a Timex-type replacement strap, and another cheap strap I bought at Target that makes my Vostok look much more substantial. 

20101221-3568_vostoksubmariner_1024.jpg

20101226-3572_vostok_grnband_patasweater

20101228-3606_vostoksubmariner_newband_6

Edited by Chromejob

Thanks for everyone’s input it’s much appreciated, the video regarding bezel changes was great and I may just have to do a bit of experimenting. Time to find myself a nato strap I think too! 

Its a shame about the pictures, I managed to upload a few on an introduction thread. I thinking the hosting sites must be a bit temperamental. Nevertheless I shall have a read of the images thread for some tips and try again :biggrin: