• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Djc

Bodge watch repair

I took my watch to my local watch repairer, never used him before.My watch had stopped and so I left it with him.Just got it back and noticed that the hour hand had been changed, doesn't even match the minute hand,also the second hand,which sits in its own dial at the bottom of the watch is bent.The repairer said that he broke the original hour hand and swapped it .I am really angry,this watch was given to me by my grandad forty years and now it's not original.

I need my watch repaired again by a proper watchmaker,any help would be much appreciated.

Paging @simon2

Also, a pic or two (before, after) might help. Sorry about your watch. That is definitely not what a good watchmaker does if you ask me.

20 minutes ago, Djc said:

I took my watch to my local watch repairer, never used him before.My watch had stopped and so I left it with him.Just got it back and noticed that the hour hand had been changed, doesn't even match the minute hand,also the second hand,which sits in its own dial at the bottom of the watch is bent.The repairer said that he broke the original hour hand and swapped it .I am really angry,this watch was given to me by my grandad forty years and now it's not original.

I need my watch repaired again by a proper watchmaker,any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your interest,how do I post a picture,all I get is the option of posting from a URL or an existing document, thank you.

Hi,Djc. Am based in Essex and provide a global watch repair device. Here to help if you need me.

I took my watch to my local watch repairer, never used him before.My watch had stopped and so I left it with him.Just got it back and noticed that the hour hand had been changed, doesn't even match the minute hand,also the second hand,which sits in its own dial at the bottom of the watch is bent.The repairer said that he broke the original hour hand and swapped it .I am disappointed as this watch was given to me by my grandad forty years and now it's not original.

I need my watch repaired again by a proper watchmaker,any help would be much appreciated.I live in Brownhills (West Midlands) but please don't give me any details about Mr Michael Allen in Sutton Coldfield, thank you.

Interesting, difficult to break any hands, the hour hand is also the thickest one............

It could be repaired with some silver solder, usually its only on old pocket watches that suffer this problem through mis-use / abuse

Hopefully he used the correct tool to remove the hands which puts no stress on the pointer part of the hand.

Ideally see if he has got the old broken part of the hand for repair, we all make mistakes, i could understand if it was Timpsons as have repaired a few watches which they had repaired and then subsequently broken, but an independant repairer is "usually" highly skilled, as if they are not then they soon lose business

Hope things work out for you........

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble replying.I am dealing with a con artist,he won't answer any emails,I have now started legal proceedings.

I also fail to see how he could break the hand, unless he wanted for another vintage, perhaps more expensive watch.

Can someone please tell me how to post a picture?, thank you.

On 24/03/2018 at 09:25, Djc said:

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble replying.I am dealing with a con artist,he won't answer any emails,I have now started legal proceedings.

I also fail to see how he could break the hand, unless he wanted for another vintage, perhaps more expensive watch.

Can someone please tell me how to post a picture?, thank you.

Stolkace

Just now, Djc said:

Stolkace

The watch that has been bodged.

Well it looks a fairly straightforward job

Did the old hands have corrosion on them?

I hope it all works out for you. How much did he charge? 

Hi,

No corrosion and he charged me £60

He chooses to ignore emails,utter rotter.