• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

HI everyone

I will be 60 this year and have promised myself a gold vintage dress watch for occasional wear. I have been saving towards this for a couple of years, but to be honest, I have very little knowledge of watches, I am basing my preferences on looks alone, but for some reason seem to be drawn towards omega any advice would be gratefully received regarding what to look out for and what to stay away from, something that will hold value be repairable in the future, auto/ manual wind etc.

Welcome to the forum, 

Omega is a good place to start, vintage Longines are also worth a look. If you can post a picture of what you like maybe we can share some thoughts. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, to be honest, I am having trouble deciding between them as I seem to like most of them!

I think I would prefer a slightly larger face (oversize I think I read ) are there any pro's & con's between manual or automatic?

I have seen a watch with a bump auto movement, how would this typ movement compare to the normal automatic?

Where would be the best place to look for a watch and how do you know if the price is right?

apologies for all the boring questions!    

Vintage Omega is a good choice and as a bonus Omega take their heritage seriously so servicing and parts are available for most

• Like 2