• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Steve D UK

Speedmaster automatic winding question.

I wear my Speedmaster ‘57 when I’m not working from Friday evening until Tuesday evening. I normally put it back on for a few hours on Thursday evening to keep it wound (I haven’t wound it since November). I don’t know why, but this Tuesday I went to give it a wind before putting it away and the winder was solid? Wouldn’t move - I didn’t try too hard in case I broke something. I tried it again on Wednesday morning and it was possible to wind it normally. Was the tightness I had on Tuesday night purely because it was fully wound after wearing it for a few days?

When was it last serviced? The reversing wheels on the auto winding mech maybe dry and need attention. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

It’s coming up to one year old now Simon. Sorry, I don’t mean the winder was solid in both directions - it would turn anti clockwise but not clockwise. So it wasn’t because it had fully wound itself by being on my wrist? As I said, it was okay in the morning and I was thinking perhaps because it had been running all night? 

Still sounds like dryness, to me. The watch may have been with you for a year, but could have been in storage or a nice warm shop window display. Prior to sale. Is it under guarantee?

• Like 1

Yes. There’s still over 3 years manufacturers guarantee on it. 

I got it out earlier tonight as we were going out. Gave it about 30 or so winds, free as a bird. Just got in and checked it. Back to stiff again. Seems to only go stiff when it’s been on and presumably fully wound itself up. Let it run down for a while and it’s windable again. Never had an automatic before, I just wondered whether this is normal for an automatic. Other than that it’s running perfect. I take your point about stiffness so I’ll make further enquiries with Omega and possibly take it to the store. 

Edited by Steve D UK

Once fully wound the main spring in an auto slips to prevent breaking so manual winding would feel more resistance at that point. I don’t think you have anything to worry about. There are 2 barrels in those if memory serves which may complicate things but it’s the same principle, one slips. I suspect the staff in an AD will look at you blankly if you complain that winding it when fully would is stiff and perhaps suggest stopping winding it at that point. Rather like the Tommy Cooper joke about the patient complaining that it hurts when he does ‘that’. The doctor replies ‘don’t do that then’. 

Edited by Padders
  • Haha 1

Lol. I think the Tommy Cooper joke was TC: “Doctor, I’ve hurt my arm in several places”. Doctor: “Well stop going to those places!”

I’ve had it since last June and have never tried to wind it when taking it off - why would a sane person do that with an automatic? The thought about telling an AD and being asked why I would want to wind an automatic when taking it off and getting a funny look did occur to me. :laugh: 

Edited by Steve D UK

As it still is under warranty, I would return it. There is clearly a fault and  they are duty bound to rectify it. You paid good money for a quality piece. I'd like to know how you get on.

• Like 2

Thanks Simon.

Just phoned up the Watchfinder at Bluewater shopping centre where I bought it from and described the symptoms to their warranty department who said if its jammed after wearing it, it sounds like a fault. They offered to send me out a postage box to send it back to them but I don't feel comfortable putting it in the post so they said I could bring it back to them - they are not far from me. I asked if I could take it to the Omega boutique also in the same shopping centre and they said I can take it wherever I am happy to as it's still got over 3 years manufacturers warranty so I think I'll take it back this weekend. I'll keep you updated. :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve D UK
  • Like 1

Took it to the Omega boutique this morning. Winder was loose at first but stiff by the time I got there. Explained the problem to the girl assistant, she got it and started to book it in for warranty repair and then the male assistant got involved and wound it, said it was 'a little bit stiff' but felt okay to him so I said  get one out of the case and wind that, which he did. It was a lot easier to wind and then he started to explain to me that my one could be stiff to wind first thing as the 'oils were thick' but as I wear it, my body heat will thin the oils out and make it easier to wind! When I explained that it was the opposite of that - easy to wind first thing but locked up after wearing it for a while - he then understood properly and told the girl to book it in for warranty but she'd already done it by then.  She said it’ll be 3 - 4 weeks then he chipped in and said it would be nearer to 3 as, in his words, "We have a reputation to uphold”. We'll see how good that reputation is in exactly 3 weeks time. :whistle:

Sounds like Mr sales assistant was deliberately trying to undermine Mrs sales assistant, but actually didn't have a clue.

What a tool.

• Haha 2

On 10/03/2018 at 15:36, it'salivejim said:

What a tool.

That's being rather polite. I cannot understand the "reluctance" of some AD staff to return stuff for warranty. Does the repair cost come out of their wages ? I've been fobbed of with some similar utter drivel in the past.

22 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

That's being rather polite. I cannot understand the "reluctance" of some AD staff to return stuff for warranty. Does the repair cost come out of their wages ? I've been fobbed of with some similar utter drivel in the past.

Got to give Tag Hoyer credit.

When i took my Aquaracer in there was no quibbling. They just sent it straight off to be fixed. 

The only downside was they didn't tell me what the problem had been

Not wanting to be watchless when I handed it in, I did get a slightly funny look when I whipped my Aquaracer out of my pocket and put it on before leaving the store. :laugh:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Steve D UK said:

Not wanting to be watchless when I handed it in, I did get a slightly funny look when I whipped my Aquaracer out of my pocket and put it on before leaving the store. :laugh:

I put another tag on when i took the aquaracer in but it was my missus who gave me a snotty look as i took  it out of my pocket:fyou:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve D UK said:

when I whipped my Aquaracer out of my pocket and put it on before leaving the store. :laugh:

Thought you were going to say something else. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Thought you were going to say something else. :laughing2dw:

:laugh:there's always one

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 22:32, Padders said:

Once fully wound the main spring in an auto slips to prevent breaking so manual winding would feel more resistance at that point. I don’t think you have anything to worry about. There are 2 barrels in those if memory serves which may complicate things but it’s the same principle, one slips. I suspect the staff in an AD will look at you blankly if you complain that winding it when fully would is stiff and perhaps suggest stopping winding it at that point. Rather like the Tommy Cooper joke about the patient complaining that it hurts when he does ‘that’. The doctor replies ‘don’t do that then’. 

Movoto  had the patent on the " main spring clutch ".  many later watches incorporated this in there design.  a very good idea till "the clutch starts slipping".  vin

Well, just had a call from the Omega boutique - it’s back from repair and ready for collection - that was a quick turnaround! I asked them what had been done and they couldn’t tell me - apparently warranty jobs are not like standard chargeable jobs so no details on invoice or parts returned etc... going over tonight to pick it up and will be trying a few Seamaster 300m's on while I’m there. :yes:

Edited by Steve D UK

Got it back now. Not sure they’ve done anything as it was back so quick - all the note said was tested and found to be within spec. Easy to wind at first but when fully wound, the crown gets not exactly stiff or locks up but stiffer to turn. I wonder whether I was panicking in the first place? Surely it’s got to get a little stiffer to turn when it’s fully wound. Anyway, they gave it a clean and it came back in one of those Omega travel cases and I still have over three years warranty left on it so not all bad. 

While I was there I tried on some Diver 300m's. I'm thinking of getting one next. The mid size diver looked absolutely tiny, the full size one still looked a bit small compared to the Tag I was wearing when I went over there. The one that seemed right on me was the 44mm chrono. I’ll have to ponder on them for a while and try them on a few more times before deciding.

While I was there I asked the salesman whether the wavy dial will be coming back on the divers after Baselworld as I’d heard it said a few times. He said no chance and not to listen to the rumours going around on the forums. I suppose it was a bit like asking the assistant in the Apple store what was going to be on a new iPhone two days before release - they ain’t really got a clue as they probably find out the same time as everyone else!