• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sometimes its Gus

Which TAG would you go for?

Hopefully I have found the watches you are looking for online from your list as photos would be a lot easier and I am not familiar with Tag watch serial numbers.  If it were me I would probably go with the Carrera automatic, a nice simple three handed automatic with date.  The Aquaracer is nice enough but for a gift I would like something with a simple design that in another 10 or 20 years is not going to look dated or something as I got older I would rather not wear.  Also I have seen the Carrera first hand and there is plenty of room on the case to engrave your 10 years service.

• Thanks 1

What I have learnt from this process is that opinions on watches are well spread, and as one contributor said, " theres nothing wrong with any of these watches".  The votes at this stage do have a clear front runner which has made me look a little closer at it as I am heading in that direction and will probably order it. THe votes so far are...

CAZ1011.BA0843,   x  1

CAZ2010.BA0876    x    2,

WAR201A.BA0723   x   2

WAR211A.BA0782  x  2

WAY201A.BA0927  x  5

I will make my mind up soon, but its looking like the WAY201A.BA0927 is going to be the one.

Oh FFS ... any inaccuracies are the fault of Google Image Search

CAZ1011.BA0843 $_86.JPG

CAZ2010.BA0876 0008045.jpg

WAR201A.BA0723 WAR201A-c.jpg

WAR211A.BA0782 8033_album1.jpg

WAY201A.BA0927 replica-replica-tag-heuer-aquaracer-cali

I vote for the WAR201A.BA0723 Carrera day-date. Fine looking business wear watch, nice thank you for service. Get it on SS bracelet, you can always fit a fine leather strap of your own choosing. 

Edited by Chromejob
  • Like 1

I'm not a massive Tag fan, but I am rather partial to the Carrera Calibre 5 (probably because it doesn't look like the stereotypical Tag) - so WAR211A.BA0782 for me.

If they'd shrink it to a 36/37 I'd have the white dial in a heartbeat.

Edited by longplay

17 hours ago, Chromejob said:

Oh FFS ... any inaccuracies are the fault of Google Image Search

CAZ1011.BA0843 $_86.JPG

CAZ2010.BA0876 0008045.jpg

WAR201A.BA0723 WAR201A-c.jpg

WAR211A.BA0782 8033_album1.jpg

WAY201A.BA0927 replica-replica-tag-heuer-aquaracer-cali

I vote for the WAR201A.BA0723 Carrera day-date. Fine looking business wear watch, nice thank you for service. Get it on SS bracelet, you can always fit a fine leather strap of your own choosing. 

Thanks Chromejob, I was looking at the brown  leather straps and thought that it would be something that would enhance the overall look.  Kinda looks a bit classier IMHO.

Sometimes its Gus

best advice I can give based on experience  is get which ever watch you end up with on a bracelet ( as chromejob, if it is a option on that watch) far cheaper to replace the strap than wanting to add a bracelet later

deano

• Like 2

3 hours ago, deano1956 said:

Sometimes its Gus

best advice I can give based on experience  is get which ever watch you end up with on a bracelet ( as chromejob, if it is a option on that watch) far cheaper to replace the strap than wanting to add a bracelet later

deano

yep been there....  almost got stung by that.... sound advice for any £500+ watch

• Like 1

8 hours ago, deano1956 said:

Sometimes its Gus

deano

I’d agree if I was picking a retirement watch that I’d be receiving for free but it’s not a policy I’d necessarily subscribe to being a largely sub-£500 collector. The price of a bracelet you may never wear pushes the price up loads, and if you’re in that price bracket a £50+ leather strap (e.g. something befitting of an expensive watch) is probably out of reach also.

“Buy the best version you can afford” might be better advice.

Edited by Seikotherapy

On 28/02/2018 at 23:09, RSR934 said:

Im not a big lover of TAG, however going of your list I'm with gimli the WAY201A wins it for me because of the style. Given the choice I would have a Monaco in the gulf colours. It's a nice gift from your company either way, I didn't think things like that happened anymore.:thumbsup:

As a newbie to the watch world, it has been fascinating to be on here and to get an insight into what is out there. Having asked for opinions on which of the watches I am being offered I do not get a real sense of anyone being overawed by the list, and the real good TAG watches are way more money than I am being offered.  Yet there are so many people on here who collect watches that are less money but appear to have a bit more character about them. As I am not drawn to any one of them myself, I am wondering about the merits of actually cashing in the TAG and getting 3 watches around the £500 mark that I actually like myself. This would be preferable on two fronts for me, as it would give me 3 options when it comes to choosing what to wear, but would also start a collection, which this forum has inspired me to do.

Am I mad? Or does this seem reasonable?

1 minute ago, Sometimes its Gus said:

As a newbie to the watch world, it has been fascinating to be on here and to get an insight into what is out there. Having asked for opinions on which of the watches I am being offered I do not get a real sense of anyone being overawed by the list, and the real good TAG watches are way more money than I am being offered.  Yet there are so many people on here who collect watches that are less money but appear to have a bit more character about them. As I am not drawn to any one of them myself, I am wondering about the merits of actually cashing in the TAG and getting 3 watches around the £500 mark that I actually like myself. This would be preferable on two fronts for me, as it would give me 3 options when it comes to choosing what to wear, but would also start a collection, which this forum has inspired me to do.

There's no option to just take a cash equivalent in the first place then?

Assuming you could definitely get a decent price for one of the TAGs (now that's worth some research!), it's the way I'd go for sure.

4 minutes ago, ziggy1024 said:

There's no option to just take a cash equivalent in the first place then?

Assuming you could definitely get a decent price for one of the TAGs (now that's worth some research!), it's the way I'd go for sure.

No, theres no cash option. I will need to research the options but a colleague got about £1500 for one of the watches but not sure which model he went for.

Looks like the F1 auto chrono is the most expensive new... I wonder whether it'd be worth asking a dealer how much they'd give you for any of them?

Sorry if I've missed something but why does it have to be Tag Heuer? Couldn't you be given a budget of X to spend at a dealer of your employers choice.

6 hours ago, Sometimes its Gus said:

I think it comes down to the fact that there is that much to choose from in the watch world catering for all budgets and tastes. I have said this before several times, I always buy watches for me, I'm not bothered what other people think of them. Although, I have to admit it was probably influenced by something I have seen on TWF. So I wouldn't be worried about what others think, as you may have seen on TWF people are generally honest in there opinions when asked by others about the watches they own. I think that is a good idea what you mentioned about the possibility of getting three watches for about £500.00 quid each. There is a lot to choose from in that price range but it would get your collection of the mark. Decisions, decisions.:thumbsup:

Regards, Paul.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2018 at 13:46, Piers15 said:

TAG Heuer Autavia... love this watch

38725773380_5b194a9a12_b.jpg

Apologies if slightly off your choice list, but I love Piers15’s Tag Autavia above, nice!

On 28/02/2018 at 13:46, Piers15 said:

TAG Heuer Autavia... love this watch

38725773380_5b194a9a12_b.jpg

Apologies if slightly off your choice list, but I love Piers15’s Tag Autavia above, nice!

21 hours ago, JIMMYNo1 said:

Sorry if I've missed something but why does it have to be Tag Heuer? Couldn't you be given a budget of X to spend at a dealer of your employers choice.

I would have loved to have had the choice, and not sure why I haven't been, but tradition in the group has been that the Directors get a Rolex and all other staff get to choose from the same selection of TAG watches. I guess someone in the top brass has a connection with a particular dealer.

In my quest to exchange my TAG for 3 other watches I have come across the Bravur BW102 which has caught my eye. It feels a quality and classical start to the collection.  I am sure others may have comments and I am open to them.

1200469-1-1516895931.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;ce