• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
scottyDog

"Down the Rabbit hole" Watch MOD

So I bought a MWC G10SL MkVI as I wanted a quartz watch for work (EDC) as I ride a bike and it need to be sturdy, the watch has Sapphire Crystal, Field style dial, Screw lug bars, Tritium (GTLS) hands/chapter ring and Ronda 715Li movement (10 yr battery life). £275 which is abit much but I could not find a cheaper watch with these specs.

MWC-G10-300m-SS-12_24H_GTLS-B-NS

Now this is when things go sideways when I noticed the seconds hand was not exactly on the indices so I stripped the watch down and after refitting it a dozen times finally got it sorted. Then after staring at the watch enjoying the precision, I deciced to change the seconds hand to an Arrow, "Easy" just buy a new hand and replace it "WRONG", Because of the GTLS hands are about 1mm high you need a special movement to keep them from touching and MWC watches overcome this by fitting a seconds hand with a long tube to allow for the extra height. 

20180210_065232

Now the watch is starting to annoy me, "I want an Arrow seconds hand!" after stripping the watch down again I noticed the seconds hand pinion was lower than the Hour canon.

20180210_065450

So I searched the entire world looking for a solution and finally found another Ronda 715Li made for Luminox watches (GTLS hands) with a movement height of 6.7mm to the seconds pinion instead of the Standard Ronda 715Li with extended tubes on the hands.

Untitled-4

And down the rabbit hole we go. When I tried to fit the hands to the new movement with higher pinions and canons the hands were to high from the dial, the hour hand fits but the Minute hand was 3mm above it and raised aabove the seconds pinion.  Back to the drawing board to find another way.

Plan F... If the Minute canon on the first movement was okay and the seconds pinion on the new movement was higher then just swap them over... "what could go wrong".

"I can hear you laughing"

So here's the plan. strip the movements down and swap the parts, looks easy enough.

Untitled-2

Top red arrow is the hour canon (to be swapped), bottom arrow is the minute canon with seconds pinion inside.

Just 4 screws and 2 bridges... Oh and a spring (3905.033).

I decided to strip the new movement first incase I messed it up I could just fit the old movement and live with the boring seconds hand.

Yes you'd be right assuming that I'd lose the spring... "Straight down the rabbit hole".

Decision time... risk the £275 watch as it's got the last spring... "it's a really nice arrow hand".

Sod it... After 3 hours... finally removing and refitting that spring I got the movement back together, now to fit the hands...

And they don't fit....... the minute canon is still to high although the seconds pinion is higher.

In for a penny... I filed a tooth pick to fit in the minute hand tube and with a diamond file filed the hand tube down from 0.7mm to  0.2mm and tried again...

Success :)... was it worth it... Yes to me it was and it makes me smile everytime I look at my custom one off watch.

20180210_065934

Hope this blog helps anyone thinking of just modding a watch, it's never that simple... but never impossible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again.......you did and you succeeded - well done :thumbs_up:

Looks like the crystal needs a bit of cleaning unless that is a reflection that I can see in it?

modifying modern watches looks interesting.   is there a list of sizes to order from?  vin

On 11/02/2018 at 13:55, vinn said:

It's a lot of web searching for movement specs and checking hands length, hole diameter and tube length... most eBay descriptions just state eta, miyota or seiko... so you might have to take a chance... also the dials are all different diameters, post feet and position of date window.. difficult but not impossible.