• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Dave098

Dead Timex Model 63 Quartz

I recently acquired this Timex Model 63 quartz complete with box and papers. It's a great looking watch in great shape...but it won't run.

I installed a 303/374 cell, but no luck. I'm certainly no expert, but I don't see any obvious problems like broken connections.

I love the watch, but I can't justify spending a lot of money to fix it (presuming it's reparable).

Does anybody see any obvious problems with the movement? Are there any steps I can take to rule out simple problems? I've done some simple watch repairs myself, but I have zero experience with this kind of movement. 

5aGla90.jpg

cKy0Fht.jpg

Give Simon2 a shout on the forum. If anyone knows it will be him. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Hey Dave head over to watch repairs section, Simon has his own section  :thumbsup:

If all else fails I'd be glad to take a look. Parts maybe a problem.

If Simon can't help, you could email Greg at Woodland Technical Services. :yes:

The problem is these will normally either work or not! There's no "halfway house" with them. Visually it looks complete, however this is no guarantee all is well in the electronics side of things. It's been a while since I've poked around a 52 type movement. They are nice when they are working and can usually be regulated to a fairly good accuracy! :thumbsup:

a few more tips.  

- check the circuit board is not cracked. You can actually remove the board and run a jumper across the terminals.  It will not run correctly but this tells you if all else is running.

- insert the battery and apply light pressure to hold it in place.  than give the balance a flick.  does it attempt to sing at all?

JM is right with the above ideas, there was at one time a small extra spring contact that was available to TIMEX dealers to hold the battery in place for test purposes, and I used to have one - - came in a batch of TIMEX stuff from a watchmaker, but back then I din't know what it was for so I tossed it (sigh ! ) You learn by mistakes, could have used it a few times over the years. :yes:

The CRC spray JM suggests is a US product, I've found non residue Servisol switch cleaner to be a reasonable substitute - - Maplins in the UK is a good enough source, or RS catalogue. Make sure it has little or no residue particles to leave behind and clog the works. Standard practice on re-lube, use a fine oiler, bought or made and the minimum amount of oil, I'm using synthetics with good results nowadays - - :thumbsup: - - there is supposedly a slight "cleaning" effect with synthetics that helps with older pieces, who knows?

Thanks for all the great advice (the link @JerseyMo posted was especially helpful)! I'm not sure exactly how, but I was able to get the ol' gal running again. It's not perfect, but it's running.

Flicking the balance wheel a few times to jump start it, regulating it, cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol, and just letting it sit and run for a while to get the kinks out seemed to do the trick.

But...

The hacking mechanism doesn't work -- at least not reliably. When it doesn't work, I can usually get it to engage by moving the hands counter clockwise a bit (the poor man's hack). Also, the watch sometimes ticks loudly when held at a certain angle.

I believe the two behaviors are related. When I pull out the crown and the hacking mechanism doesn't work, the watch will tick loudly.

I'm thinking that perhaps pulling out the crown and stem and re-installing them might help, but I can't figure out how to remove the stem on this model. Can anyone help? Any other thoughts on how to fix?

I have a specialized tool use for this sort of movement.  well okay it is not so special but it does the trick.  The tool is no more than a strain if mainspring about 2 inches long attached to a small wooden stick.

dab the metal with some lube and slip in into the train of the movement where you can see in the battery compartment.  next to remove the stem you pull the crown out that with a pair of tweezers you slip them into the area that has two slots.  this expands the retainer clip and allows you to remove the stem.  grease the tip of the crown and install it back.

there is a quiz so take notes!

Ask any vintage Timex collector about how loud those electrics are and they will all same the same.  "Oh yeah they are loud".  the sotry goes that Timex actually engineered them that way so the ticking sound reminder owners of a mechanical.  

well good luck, you have gotten further than most already.

oh and those clips Mel is referencing.... I have a few dozen of them.  they do come in handy.

• Like 1

There's an old but daft wee trick you can try if you have central heating radiators. Put the watch on the radiator shelf  or on a book or place mat so that it's sitting in gentle heat for a day or two. If there is thickened oil in the train somewhere, that MAY loosen it up to allow the watch to run again or better. Good for mecahnicals as well.

If I get a non-worker, it's a thing I will try after a visual inspection and before I start to strip items down, if it starts to work then it gives me the incentive to give it a thorough clean and re-lube - - if not, it goes into the "MWR" pile, (More Work Required) :biggrin:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

dab the metal with some lube and slip in into the train of the movement where you can see in the battery compartment.  next to remove the stem you pull the crown out that with a pair of tweezers you slip them into the area that has two slots.  this expands the retainer clip and allows you to remove the stem.  grease the tip of the crown and install it back.

Any thoughts on whether doing that will help with my hacking problem? To be honest, the watch is now running reliably and keeping surprisingly good time, so I may let it be.

21 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

Ask any vintage Timex collector about how loud those electrics are and they will all same the same.  "Oh yeah they are loud".  the sotry goes that Timex actually engineered them that way so the ticking sound reminder owners of a mechanical.  

Understood. But in this case, the watch is pretty quiet most of the time. It only ticks loudly when held at specific angles.

In any case, thanks for the help! Hacking or not, I've scored a pretty sweet vintage Timex for a price so low I'm embarrassed to mention it.

FhKNpZ6.jpg

nice look, there a a few others of the same year you may want to be on the lookout for.  The one with the Pepsi bezel is the perhaps the most difficult to find.