UK Watch Forum banner

Why is there so much snobbery for Hublot

4K views 72 replies 26 participants last post by  Noob101 
#1 ·
on here.

I don't own one. I have looked at one though and chose something different at the time. When I tried it on it was solid, felt well made, the chronograph was as smooth as the proverbial baby's arse, had a lovely feel on the wrist and was very, very comfortable.

Be truthful. Are you just slating them as you're jumping onto a bandwagon and it's easy and trendy to slag them off like it is to slate James Corden or do you have real experience and a valid opinion on why you dislike them. Just saying they're footballers watches is not washing with me as footballers drive Bentleys and Range Rovers and they are fantastic cars.

#3 ·
When you buy a watch it's rather more than just wanting to tell the time - to a greater or lesser extent you're buying into the brand (otherwise we'd all be wearing a £20 Lorus just to tell the time). That's why so most watch brands major on their heritage and have 'ambassadors' (or what Hublot calls 'partnerships') and solus boutiques and so on. This helps some position their watches as very expensive (ie exclusive) and very desirable. They're selling a lifestyle that you too can aspire to by wearing one of their watches.

OK, it's rather more complicated than that, but the the principle stands.

There are risks with brands associations. If someone you don't like has this or that watch, you're going to dislike that watch, at least subconsciously, by association. Top-flight football is both very tribal and very get-rich-quick and it is believed by the vast majority of the populous (whether football fans or not) that footballers are grossly overpaid. So, it is widely believed that they don't really deserve their wealth. Add to this the blingy lifestyle with their gauche chrome and marble mansions in Alderley Edge and their Bentleys with unspeakable body kits and you have a failure of taste. Therefore, their watches are by extension tasteless also, and IMHO in the case of Hublot hideous too.

Clearly, you may feel the absolute opposite if the wearer of a Hublot is your hero footballer or racing driver. You might also believe them to be beautiful. Or you might care and have never heard of Hublot.

So, it's not about the quality of the watch, it's about its brand associations. And plenty of people refer in a derogatory way to Bentleys and Aston Martins as "footballers' cars". Again it's not about the quality of the car, but rather who is associated with it.

Over 20 years ago the Mike Baldwin character in Coronation Street was famous for driving a Jaguar. When ITV wanted a new one Jaguar refused to supply it because they no longer wanted to be associated with Arthur Daley wheeler-dealer types.

Whether this counts as snobbery or inverted snobbery we could debate...but it's all about the brand.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nothing to do with snobbery.

Compare the attention to detail, (amongst other things).

301.px.1180.rx-sd-hr-w_1_1.png

17580774_1_460.jpg
At least the Hublot has round screws in round holes.

:laugh: :laugh:

People slate the cost involved in some of these Brands but for example some of these companies put huge amounts on money into R&D in new materials which goes completely unmentioned by the Luddites that wouldn't spend more than three bob

http://www.cityam.com/255256/alchemists-time-watch-companies-combine-age-old-techniques

As usual these sort of things are way more than just the sum of their parts.

#7 ·
Not guilty M'lud.... Never slated them. Just don't like them as watches. Have tried a couple on. Maybe mentioned here that I don't like them. But they are works of art in one way and if people do like them and can afford to pay the huge price tag then bravo.... spice of life and all that....
Weird post then as it sounds like someone has really got up his nose by having a go. I don't like them for similar reasons to you but would never slag anything off in any case, maybe not like but that's it. The truth will out I suppose.

#73 ·
Yes I agree, I think everybody feels a connection with the brand they particularly like (like I do with Omega), but I don't think I would be too upset if a snob told me how crappy Omega is and that I should be buying something else (whatever their favourite brand is). Just like I don't get upset with someone wearing a smartwatch telling me how silly my 1960s mechanical watch is. Everyone has their own reasons for liking things.

#11 ·
Was just asking a question. There's a thread on here called "what you think of" and lists various brands and number 8 was Hublot. Every comment slated them. Saying grotesque, footballers, gag reflex etc..... so as I'm not Marvin the Mind Reader I asked a very simple question about where the opinions were coming from. No beef with anyone, no issues just a straight forward question.

I agree with brand association comments and believe this is probably the case.

To the guy who mentioned "You see more 100 times more broken down Range Rovers on the Hard Shoulder than Toyotas Avensis". I've travelled all over the UK driving for 25 years and NEVER seen a broken down Range Rover.

#12 ·
on here.

I don't own one. I have looked at one though and chose something different at the time. When I tried it on it was solid, felt well made, the chronograph was as smooth as the proverbial baby's arse, had a lovely feel on the wrist and was very, very comfortable.

Be truthful. Are you just slating them as you're jumping onto a bandwagon and it's easy and trendy to slag them off like it is to slate James Corden or do you have real experience and a valid opinion on why you dislike them. Just saying they're footballers watches is not washing with me as footballers drive Bentleys and Range Rovers and they are fantastic cars.
Must admit that I have never tried one on and therefore have no reason to knock them. They are above my comfort zone for what I would pay for a watch as I have stayed more in the Omega/Zenith/Rolex ranges (basic ss models).I had a look on the internet and did not see any Hublot that made me think "if I had that amount spare then I would love one of those".

Now, if funds were freely available the a Range Rover would be on my hit list - found the comment about seeing 100 times as many broken down on the hard shoulder as a Toyota Avensis really funny - doubt if I have even seen 100 RRs broken down and very rarely seen anything broken down come to that but hey-ho, some people love to throw out meaningless numbers :biggrin: :biggrin:

#13 ·
Bentleys and Range Rovers and they are fantastic cars.
Are they ? Which models do you currently own, and what are the servicing and maintenance costs like. In my experience comparing a Range Rover to a Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon would give you a better idea of what is "fantastic". Unless of course its vanity that drives your purchase, as opposed to reliability and usability. :)

NEVER seen a broken down Range Rover.
Granted, but they are a continual nuisance.

#14 ·
I see a broken down Rangey approximately monthly on the M3/M27 and I have never seen a broken down Landcruiser anywhere , ever.

I know 5 people personally who own Range rovers less than 5 years old. 2 of them have broken down since new....
I've used them both for towing. Even going back to the old Series 2 Land Rovers, with their "brakes" , the towing weight is rated at 3.5 tonnes. The Land Cruisers were/are 2.5 tonnes. Range Rover ownership as a work tool is a pure torturous pain in the @r$e, even down to changing headlight bulbs.

Back on topic. Hublot ? off my radar, don't like them, don't dislike them, not interested. Something far wrong when "you" start judging people by their watch and what they drive.

#19 ·
I remember you didnt see so many Hublots in the 1990's... I cant remember when I first became aware of the brand but I saw it on someones arm and thought "Is that an AP?" Then I realised it was not...

At that point I believe Hublot had decided to jump on the whole "portal" design and couldn't in my opinion match the Nautilus/Royal Oak/Overseas or even that Bulgari Octo-thingy.

Not only that for a poor imitation it seemed a lot of money, lacking in heritage and entirely worn by the wrong sort.

Its pretty rare to find people in the trade who like them... maybe watch dealers are a bit safe favouring blue chip dependable brands and models but they do know a thing or two... for me I dont particularly hate Hublot but I cant see anybody who knows very much buying one.

Reactions: JonnyOldBoy
#20 ·
I think Hublot's entry level range of watches in their classic fusion range are very nice and I have tried on one or two and was very impressed. This was a while ago in Bangkok. They also offered a generous discount, but that's not unusual here.

I have to say there are some real stereotypes being made about footballers being thick and the like, hence only someone thick would buy Hublot, but no-one really knows who has one and who doesn't - but I'm sure more than a few have collections we would die for. Even brands such as Rolex get on board with sponsorship, not that long ago they created a special commemorative model for Chelsea which was duly presented to each player and duly hyped by the club and I hope no-one is decrying Aston Martin simply because a footballer might buy one - I'm envious - I still drool over them when I see them in their showroom in Bangkok

D2ArXJZZugte6KL8NNzhp-j6ENGQ6y60kGO41gtux10VgfyPUw906tDZq98ced7bzzI4Mit_F3wjRntC-RQ-tkqmzlFErsf6Wdr7Z_N63Fi-VlUik1IqqE1Rs-EUGkCMXAu4WjPHsOwQReYYkjzLgn6FTFJyfDhWa8lUcp78GjrsEVZtIXFuKSTvM7OzV6lVaYQ1ItymeLjxIiXN1QUReF7tkFkvWZoSq2Qqlt48ABOKEK0IifRaUnq3TKj7rEjwl3_B8xzyJjsLhPz7QuAUwhgO7mjbW3YabCP-ELPnZFWGtKsT5xqhh59sMqEEvFjiEJ-DR9nj0mzyXlwq6_sv5eZdnJ1mwcTfhPZ-9-D5KVnq_8SUDsaZyh5tm5LbMDux3DsMjg0Thxa3lBSQDHGuQP3K6GxT6aJm6GzO4f50PVySNZe4HwJk9Lzua_vejtecejHR99s3v9cmNm1a-8RAKRMBQUfeuXGAANxG8TCy4yBkEKMhKlk7cYf9hPB2VIJ18KoGa-PsnLSEQCbyE-ug2rBXFbDq674hfc7VN5jj7SFloRzA6Zc-G-lhYGHIU3lSyJDAijGjnY1UIwICaTSfYYLa0nngdTBg7K6BSyfX=w1023-h824-no

https://www.hublot.com/en/collection/classic-fusion

#24 ·
but no-one really knows who has one and who doesn't
Its well enough documented Harry Styles and Ed Sheeran are owners, which doesn't really matter to me. From glancing through the various periodicals at my doctors / dentists surgery, it would appear that Hublot is perhaps targeting a typical end user, which, of course, they are completely entitled to do so. Where I have a problem, is being told that wearing one, accompanied by a dodgy looking nautical hat, and what resembles a set of 1950's striped pyjamas is "cool", but that's GQ for you, " cash from chaos." :thumbsup:

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some footballers own an AP, thats really not a problem and doesn't diminish the hundreds of years of heritage of that brand. It's not a case of them being thick (though I find it hard to think of a less intelligent demographic) it's a case they have loads of money and therefore buy expensive things on a whim without necessarily having any insight.

When it comes to expensive stuff which has no merit except for in-your-face bling footballers make the ideal candidate because their money is disposable. I guess that is the insinuation of it being a footballers watch not that every watch a footballer wears is rubbish but the only people you can sell overpriced rubbish to is a footballer.

That they offer a very generous discount is a mark against the brand... solid brands simply don't give chunks off because doing so softens the brand, lessens the retention and makes it look like they simply priced too high in the first place.

#22 ·
That they offer a very generous discount is a mark against the brand... solid brands simply don't give chunks off because doing so softens the brand, lessens the retention and makes it look like they simply priced too high in the first place.
But AD's and boutiques do over here. My experience relayed above was at PMT The Hour Glass, which is part of a larger group of watch retailers with outlets in Asia and represent Moser, De Bethune, various 'avant-garde' brands, AP, VC, Ulysse Nardin, Rolex, Chopard and so on. I suspect it has something to do with the culture of haggling over price. Sit down in a Rolex boutique or AD here to try on a watch and the first thing that will happen is that a calculator will appear showing 10% discount is available and that's for starters. That can be a significant saving on an expensive watch. Only Omega seem to have a fairly limited discount of 3% last time I asked and that was reduced from an initial 10% which was then reduced to 5%. But Omega outlets are limited here compared to Rolex, for example. Generally, I have been offered discounts of up to 25% on current models and 50% during sales.

#23 ·
News to me, not being au fait with the customs in that part of the world.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
It came as an incredibly pleasant surprise to me, I can assure you! :thumbsup:

It started when I was determined to get a Bremont U2 Blue before I relocated, but at that time, you could not get a discount on Bremont for love or money and I tried - Harrods, Jacobs of Reading, Bremont Boutique in Mayfair and Hamilton & Inches. Checked to see if they were available in Thailand and realised they were, my other half asked her niece in Bangkok to check the AD and it turns out there was a watch fair on. Big result and her niece bought the watch for me there and then and I repaid her a week or so later when I got out there.

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have nothing against them, and have never even fondled one either which I'm gonna hazard a guess and say most other in thread haven't?

and I must disagree with @Daveyboyz on discount. You can get discounts on most watch brands that I know of including AP which someone said today in my Glashütte thread. Does it take away anything from AP? I got my dad a discount on a bi metal rollie etc etc.

Edit in the uk.

#30 ·
Does it take away anything from AP? I got my dad a discount on a bi metal rollie etc etc.

Edit in the uk.
The situation you don't want is that which used to exist for a number of brands where they advertise the prices high but are always having a sale or knocking large chunks off on a consistent basis. It undermines the brand... Rolex doesn't have sales and may offer some discount (I would imagine you aren't talking 30% and the like) on some of their less saleable models... you try to get chunks off a steel sports Rolex and you won't get a significant reduction, hence they maintain their value.

Reactions: Redwolf
#33 ·
dum-dum-dum ,, another one bites the dust. ( its my job you p**** , I am a private tutor )
You are such a tw*t it beggars believe. At this rate you'll have everyone on your ignore list.

As was said on another thread "Do not feed the troll" - in this case "The never give up, never surrender troll"

"This troll is ALWAYS right and will battle to the death to prove it. There's no point in trying to fight him. If he can't back something up with reality, he'll make something up, just to show you how wrong you are"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.