• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Filterlab

In two minds

I've been umming and arring over this for a few weeks now, but I need some collective inspiration. 

The watch I mainly wear, no.., in fact the watch I only wear (for almost all the time) is my Speedbird. There's something about the pilot-type dial that just works for me. It's a complete beauty and is almost perfect. I say almost, it's just slightly too small. Other than that it's a belter. 

The only other watch I wear is my Davosa Ternos Ceramic. I do wear it, but for 35 minutes three times a week when I swim. Other than that it sits in the watch box unused. I don't need to wear it at the pool as they have multiple clocks all over the walls, but it feels like a good place to wear it. 

Thing is that I always go back to the Speedbird and wear it all the rest of the time. But it's slightly too small. So I did some looking around and stumbled on Alpina. I'd noticed them before but not really paid attention, but the Startimer Pilot 44mm has REALLY grabbed me by the balls. It's beautifully made, in-house movement, very nice bracelet, 44mm and a pilot dial. Perfect! Quality seems to be very nice and everyone who's had one or has one says nothing but good things. 

Normally I'd just go and buy one but with a new business starting I need to be a bit careful with cash. Now we're only talking around £700 here, but £700 is £700 and that's a bit cut out of the savings (which aren't really there for buying watches if I'm honest).

So, a question for you chaps. Would you sell these two...

6rUcNkQ.jpg

v3OvWzd.jpg

...to buy one of these (on a bracelet)...

XYKoagR.jpg

cKZEX3p.jpg

FANKS! :laugh:

Edited by Filterlab

7 minutes ago, Filterlab said:

FANKS

This one.

cKZEX3p.jpg

Without hesitation. I'd go for the bracelet, then its cheaper if you want to change it to leather etc.

• Thanks 1

For me The Speedbird is second favorite from Eddies stable. The Dreadnought Voyager being top. I personally would keep the speedbird and look for an Alpina on the second hand market they can be had quite cheap.

I believe there was a nice one in TZ SC quite recently. 

Edited by futuristfan
  • Thanks 1

the SB is a really really good 3 hander , the davosa is ok too (dunno never wore one) 

but the SB is possibly one of the 3 or 4 watches i regret flipping , and the bracelet when it fits well is brilliant.

how the heck big are your wrists ? its not too small its just about right.  save you pennies (or make a hiiiiiiiiiiuge success in business ) and buy an oris propilot at some later date.

also i don't really like the alpina :laugh:

Edited by Rotundus
  • Thanks 1

@futuristfan I’ve seen a few used ones but not the model I like. I know what you mean about the Speedbird - it’s a complete beauty and wonderfully made. :) 

@Rotundus It’s not really the wrist size as such, it’s more than I like large, clear dials. :) 

In your own words you say your speedbirds a `belter`,why change when you feel this about a watch!

The Alpina`s a nice understated looking piece no doubt about it,but do you really really need it?

• Thanks 1

To answer your question .....no

the alpinas just look too big.,and the alpina on the dial is too big, it’s like wearing an advert!..sorry

• Thanks 1

LOL! Now I’m even more undecided. Maybe I should sell the Ternos and then clear out some other stuff that I don’t use. 

I think the Speedbird should stay whatever happens - I know I’d regret it if I sold it. So, what else to sell?!

• Like 1

No. Not in a month of Sunday's, I hang on to the decent watches I have :). Save for what you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for your input chaps.

I’m going to stick with these two for now and keep my eyes open for a used Alpina. I may sell the Ternos if I continue to not really wear it, I can put that towards the Alpina. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

This one.

Without hesitation. I'd go for the bracelet, then its cheaper if you want to change it to leather etc.

what he said

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

This one.

cKZEX3p.jpg

As above^ :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Just now, Filterlab said:

AAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHH!

:laugh:

Just to help you along isn’t the Alpina a little errrrrr Unexiting to sell nice watches for?   They will still be there when you are in funds. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

A watch doesn’t have to be exciting matey, just easily readable and comfortable. I’m in my 40s, exciting is a bus I stepped off years ago. :laugh:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Filterlab said:

A watch doesn’t have to be exciting matey, just easily readable and comfortable. I’m in my 40s, exciting is a bus I stepped off years ago. :laugh:

Nooooooo..........maybe not, but it’s not worth selling good uns you’ll miss for.  Honestly. :thumbsup:

Must be having my second childhood, I’m still on the bus :tongue:

Edited by RWP
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

@Filterlab. Live dangerous, you're not selling a kidney. :thumbsup:

Youve got two IDENTICAL kidneys :huh:

• Thanks 1

LOL! This is the best thread I’ve ever started. :laugh:

So, my state of mind is now...

1. Keep the Speedbird

2. Sell the Ternos

3. Sell my Yamaha studio balanced active subwoofer that I’ve been meaning to sell since November

4. Syphon unwanted items from around the house and sell them, including a dozen straps and bracelets I never use and never will

5. Avoid the temptation to sell my Hi-Fi headphones set up

6. Buy the Alpina and keep it alongside the Speedbird so I have two different pilot sizes

:thumbs_up:

• Like 3