• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

hey guys, 

obviously i am new here, and just happend on the site, its the first one i have seen with a crowdfunding section, which is what cought my eye.

i started out 8 years ago modifying cases and making parts for collectors who wanted a little something different, that led to working on my own watch. My goal is to have every part i can made in house, obviously its not cost effective to make crystals other than acrylic so those will be purchased from parts houses along with the movements for now. So far i am just working on one prototype, getting it perfected, and trying my luck with crowdfunding. I look at crowdfunding as a intro avenue to sell watches not so much to  raise capital though hopefully it does both.  While i am not ready to go to production more than a few individual watches i would like your opinions on this prototype.

Things i would like specific opinions on: 

• over all look of the watch 
  • how important where its made is
  • how important how its made is
  • how important the movement is i.e. swiss, asian, hand made etc.
  • water resistance make or break a purchase
  • packaging, boxes, utility of box after purchase general packaging requirments
  • most importantly where how to promote such a thing as crowd funding need back support to be successful 

though i have written up some promotional info and created a web site www.triestwatches.com i will spare you that here your more than welcome to check out the site, its just a place holder at the moment. 

the first one that is mostly complete is the Avanti, being a gear head and loving the look of the 1960's European sports car instruments, i took those as inspiration. 

sg-Ph0_gPMbJtlWbvo-fooyWBKHBo9ZGI0pc4VS6

mbaA39h37xZ7cwC270A7m9B5caVLcqB4kEozaq4b

ltwnUdFI24MPm4bg7UTJ78aYg6Gv29PL6AyH7HjS

Wa7FjCMeG7IcT-Mgam81rFfttrPOv-Vrd15unFS4

keep in mind this is just a prototype, things like the text will be pad printed on the production model, screws recessed more, case decoration milled into the curve of the case and finished better etc. I have redesigned the crown, and want to finish the hands and chapter ring more, figure out a more consistent way of painting the dial etc. 

The dial is two pieces screwed together base plate is copper, milled chapter ring and hands are nickle silver, screws were made in house, case is 316 stainless as is the crown and buckle,  this one houses a modified swiss eta 6497, things i didnt make, case (my design but had a local shop produce mid case) crystal and gasket, movement...,  strap one of my friends made it, the rest; decoration on case, crown assembly, hands dial extended cp hr wheel, buckle etc were produced in house, the case will be if it goes to market, if time allows movement will also be produced in house but most likely on other models. 

i would like to go to market with at least two different case designs but the main goal is to produce a watch with out Asian assistance... 

packaging:

my thought is to have a box that could be useful after the watch is removed, i keep several watches that are investments in the box in a closet, ones that are not investments i find the box useless, cheaply made and mostly expensive trash. i was thinking something you can drop your change, keys, pocket items in or perhaps even a tight enough box to stash a few cigars in. just a thought.

gOwWeu3sVkKMKeQHR3uzg5GeWFPKnMqfb5XN80Iz

NBrmyNzFhjW6UDq6YAJkR_4PuliCMZBTdlUL9v4_ 

these were quickly done and too tall, but you get the idea. 

anyway, thanks for taking a look i look forward to all of your comments and criticisms. 

Shame, can only see two out of the six pictures. I like your thoughts about the box, perhaps you can repost the pictures?

• Thanks 1

My uncollected thoughts are:

1. The mermaid case back is at odds with the motoring theme. Trieste is also a coastal town. Just an observation. 

2. I quite like the brand name face imaging. I accept at the moment it's a bit agricultural being a prototype.

3. I get the car instrument theme. You could play around with the concept of treaded straps like the mille miglia watches? 

4. Movement wise consider giving the customer a choice depending on price point personally I would consider an auto miyota less inclined to choose quartz. 

Maybe context comment/ feedback with age? I'm 48

Cheers

D

On 07/01/2018 at 15:41, neckyzips said:

most importantly where how to promote such a thing as crowd funding need back support to be successful 

As said, the case back is at odds with the front.

As it is an automobile themed watch, who are the target market ? Car or watch enthusiasts ? Or both perhaps. I would look for some feedback from "petrolheads"as well as watch collectors.

On 07/01/2018 at 15:41, neckyzips said:

Things i would like specific opinions on: 

Personally I think you need to decide who your " target audience " is, then ask the questions. Someone who drives a classic sports car will probably have a different purchase criteria, than someone who goes out "clubbing" on a Friday night.:)

thanks guys, valid points, i had not looked at the mermaid as a conflict, my initial thought for the mermaid was for it to be a symbol of water resistance, and would be included on models that were suitable for swimming, others would not share the mermaid and would have a different case back design. maybe the mermaid should be scaled down?

i am a member of a few moto forums i will post it there for input, great idea! 

for target market, that is a hard question, one i have struggled with since the beginning of this project. watches tend to transcend the socioeconomic boundary and age groups. my gut is the 35-65 male middle class collector. the price point is  well over the median kickstarter point, i feel i will have to find the group of people who appreciate the work that goes into making something by had not just what looks cool. that being said, perhaps this watch is just to normal feeling to demand such an audience. 

this watch is made specifically for the eta 649x movements as the case is the movement ring, retrofitting it for the miyota 9015 is theoretically possible also is a less expensive eta quartz. if sticking with the hand wind maybe milling in a display back would be in order?

what about the over all design (aside from the case back) of the watch, trash or appealing? will is stand out in a sea of off the shelf brands or simply get lost in the mix?

thanks again for the input!

Lovely looking thing, really like the mechanical look to the dial; somehow incorporate this look on the caseback maybe?... though the mermaid does have smashing norks!

Some random thoughts - feel free to ignore!

The overall concept is great.

'Triest' looks like a typo for Trieste.

I like the mermaid!  But if it's not going to be the 'brand logo', you could do with something that is...

'Avanti' doesn't have particularly strong connotations, given the automotive background.

I would want a watch like this to be sufficiently waterproof and rugged to stand up to the looks - not excessively so, but 'enough'.

I don't care about the box - a Pelicase 1120 is ~£30 so if you must, put it in one of those!

Movement-wise, I personally would ideally like something 'interesting'.  A HAQ would be fine although I suspect you'd sell more with a mechanical, but I can't see myself spending a significant amount of money on a 're-wrapped Seiko 5', for example.  Show me a GMT or a power reserve indicator, something highly accurate, with a really long power reserve, loads of shock protection...

Hello,

isn't this the depth gauge case :)

I like your spirit, but why wouldn't you make as on HF

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROAEdLlssmKveED-Engtk

There are no homages of the depth gauge and its a loved watch to have , rare as hens teeth.

I think making mass production or small line of this will nail it.

Mermaid is pretty cool, brand name there already is Trieste Watches, so will be close 

Hands are very nice, simple dial, if made quartz might kill it.

Wish you good luck.

I agree with Fitz666 that your watch is a bit Meccano-like but I reckon that some more design input could remedy that without ruining the basic concept. The mermaid on the watch back is far too dominant if it is merely to indicate water resistance and it seems to denote the brand as a whole. I like the branding on the dial, however.

I think my main concern is the use of the term, "Manufactured in the United States," because I am aware that the regulations in America are pretty strict concerning the proportion of a product that is required to be US made in order to use a made in the USA designation. Also, is the use of the country origin, "United States," sufficient on its own - United States of where? - to be an American legal trading definition as a country of origin.

16 hours ago, vesire said:

Hello,

isn't this the depth gauge case :)

I like your spirit, but why wouldn't you make as on HF

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROAEdLlssmKveED-Engtk

There are no homages of the depth gauge and its a loved watch to have , rare as hens teeth.

I think making mass production or small line of this will nail it.

Mermaid is pretty cool, brand name there already is Trieste Watches, so will be close 

Hands are very nice, simple dial, if made quartz might kill it.

Wish you good luck.

well, honestly, i never thought about doing that, another company is using my cases in that form for another watch so i didnt want to step on their toes utilizing the same configuration. but its a pretty good idea really, change the text and use a sterile crown, sure would cut my costs a ton!

8 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

I agree with Fitz666 that your watch is a bit Meccano-like but I reckon that some more design input could remedy that without ruining the basic concept. The mermaid on the watch back is far too dominant if it is merely to indicate water resistance and it seems to denote the brand as a whole. I like the branding on the dial, however.

I think my main concern is the use of the term, "Manufactured in the United States," because I am aware that the regulations in America are pretty strict concerning the proportion of a product that is required to be US made in order to use a made in the USA designation. Also, is the use of the country origin, "United States," sufficient on its own - United States of where? - to be an American legal trading definition as a country of origin.

i agree about the mermaid, needs to be smaller, but there will be some more dive sailing water driven watches that it will be utilized on. (funny though i figured everyone would love that, goes to show what i know)

as for made in america, it is my  understanding that the manufacturing cost needs to be 75% of the total cost to make, regardless of where some of the parts come from. (please correct me if i am wrong)  everything is made in house except the crystal and movement at the moment, and the movement is modified different keyless, cp, hr wheel remade,  and bridge decoration, so i think i can squeek by the 75% if you include my labor! lol

As for Triest i understand that Trieste is a place, and that there are several companies who have adopted that name, but i was hoping making it a logo would help separate it from those if the spelling didn't alone. 

again, thank you for the input! if i did not address a particular point like made in usa etc please throw it at me! this is still in the beginning stages, i have sold a few to friends and fellow forum members, but as prototypes all can be changed, though some like the brand name would be difficult unless something perfect comes up.

Dear neckyzips, thanks for those clarifications. I wish you well with this project and hope that with various modifications suggested here your watch comes to fruition.