• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sir Alan

Poljot 3133 chronograph

It took me a while to figure that I needed to slacken the screws holding the plate for the chronograph complication to tease the spring in place.

P1060767_zpsoonyf2h5.jpg

but things got very frustrating when I tried to fit the operating lever. This is a three part affair, two parts hinged together with a spring mounted on top of the first.

I could not figure out how to mount these in a way that allowed them to actually work (all would be tinkerers know that its always possible to fit a part, but fitting the part in the correct place, with the correct orientation and where necessary ensuring that the part engages correctly with other parts can be rather 'challenging').

It took me a 'while' to figure out how to do it correctly. Now I know I'm sure that future rebuild of this movement will be easy.

I'm pleased to say that the numerous remove/refit iterations didn't inflict any damage to the parts or the rest of the movement (always a real risk).

I didn't take any pictures during this phase, I was too busy struggling.

But, after a couple of breaks (mince pies, not broken parts!!) I got to this point

P1060770_zpskluz9685.jpg

P1060771_zps3i8m8i1q.jpg

a fully operational movement

That still runs nicely

P1060777_zps88njo8bo.jpg

P1060778_zpsc6eepjjy.jpg

(I've adjusted the lift angle on the timegrapher to the correct 51 degrees)

• Like 2

Time to start the rebuild

dial screws

P1060780_zpsijz66taf.jpg

and dial in place (cleaned up, but not re-lumed yet. I need to figure out how to get a green lume to match the hands)

P1060781_zpsulxwuzsx.jpg

as I don't have a movement holder, I decided to re-case the movement before fitting the hands

P1060783_zpseqpm3uxe.jpg

P1060785_zpsmwjaf0kg.jpg

I had previously cleaned the case and re-lumed the triangle on the dial ring

then I cleaned and re-fitted the hour & minute hands

P1060786_zpsj8l5vam0.jpg

P1060789_zpsrhgsqllg.jpg

And that's where I got to before a rather splendid family Christmas Eve meal and fun.

• Like 7

What a cracking thread!  

This is one of the things I was hoping to see when I joined the forum.

Many thanks @Sir Alan for taking the time to post. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Amazing, loved it and barely a hiccup. Thanks for taking the time to record the process for us. :thumbsup:
Would love to see a final photo of the tools used including optical headgear if any.

As I was stripping the watch down, I had another grrr moment when the chronograph hands and the sweep seconds hand all detached from their tubes - leaving the tubes sitting on the shafts and me thinking life just got a bit more complicated even before starting on the movement itself.

P1060297_zps8mqx1out.jpg

P1060288_zpsasw1we3y.jpg

Reading up on the various servicing threads I saw that this is quite a common issue. It was still a pain though!!

Luckily the parts from Lampoc came with the sub-dial hands (sweep second and chrono minute) but not the chrono seconds hand.

A new one is available, but I decided to try and fix the original one first.

First clean off the old paint and oxidisation

P1060797_zps0bweqcss.jpg

P1060799_zpskd9zywtn.jpg

that's better

P1060800_zps55x56zrr.jpg

Out with my staking set (the only tool in this situation).  The idea being to press the hand back onto the tube

P1060802_zpspgj5bipj.jpg

P1060803_zps29rzi22u.jpg

P1060805_zpsp078rkez.jpg

P1060804_zpswz0c57uw.jpg

that's a good start, but there is still a gap between the tube and the hand (on the underside) meaning the hand hasn't pushed all the way onto the tube

P1060808_zpst1oehgc7.jpg

so next I use a stake with a hole in the middle

P1060809_zpserrhhn5k.jpg

then finally the thinnest flat stake 

P1060811_zpslomujqdx.jpg

that's better

P1060812_zps1qsh1rdo.jpg

P1060814_zpseyvihvew.jpg

next job is to paint it

P1060815_zpscyzrzgmw.jpg

P1060816_zpsrcfkfrtq.jpg

after Christmas lunch ......

• Like 3

Gory red sounds horrifying, great read this is better than whats on the telly. :thumbs_up:

• Like 1

Gory red was like blood - very red when wet, but when dry a rather boring red / brown.

P1060845_zpslbegbvwq.jpg

so, I stripped this off and went with this instead

P1060846_zpsdjgoah6f.jpg

I've recently re-fitted the sub-dial hands

P1060850_zpstqn1uxse.jpg

and then the re-painted chrono seconds hand

P1060855_zpszgkyslu6.jpg

P1060858_zpsc0xqqpic.jpg

P1060857_zpspbtexlsv.jpg

I've not pressed the (polished) crystal home, I'll only do this when I've re-lumed the dial batons.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ziggy1024 said:

This really is inspirational - bit scary, mind! How many hours do you think you've spent on it?

As this is the first 3133 movement I've worked on, it took me a bit longer. 

30 mins - initial case stripdown and clean

30 mins - crystal polish (wet&dry then polywatch)

15 mins - inner dial ring re-lume

60 mins - movement stripdown

90 mins - movement clean (part 1)

300 mins - movement re-build (including clean part 2)

60 mins - hand re-stake and paint

30 mins - dial baton re-lume

so all told about 10 hours. I take numerous photographs during the whole process. I also don't rush - I like doing the best job I'm capable of. On the stripdown stage this is essential on a movement I'm not familiar with. I refer to the pictures during the re-build phase.

• Thanks 2

I did the dial baton lume yesterday using Bergeon green lume. The old lume just slid off

P1060860_zpsdiumvodc.jpg

so no dust or bits to get in the movement.

It turned out OK, but it didn't really match the hands (though it did glow nicely in the dark).

P1060867_zpsga8qbvsp.jpg

So today I popped into town to visit the Games Workshop.

The best match seemed to be this:

P1060882_zpsgttd9jlu.jpg

I've just cleaned the lume off the batons (easy as it hadn't dried hard yet) and then mixed some white lume with the green paint

P1060884_zpsltpmr7ob.jpg

and applied it. I think this is going to look much better.

P1060890_zpsndydfrwv.jpg

I also re-did the triangle on the inner dial ring.

P1060887_zpsbnrhbovb.jpg

Just now seen this thread. Fantastic. Amazing skills and knowledge. Really interesting. Well done on a great job.

Cheers

Gary

On 28/12/2017 at 16:41, Sir Alan said:

Looking much better now.

P1060906_zpsxrlzr6w2.jpg

It looks fantastic. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Great job! and if you cost your time in, not bad at all -- you'd be hard put to get a resto to that level from many watchmakers at anything less than three figures plus!

This is the beauty of being a twiddler - - you can take your time and get it right without the pressure of commercial requirements. I salute you! :drinks:

A great photo essay and a job well done

Great photo's & I take my hat off to your skill - very well done :thumbsup:

I have the exact same model of Poljot & you've tempted me to dig it out & wear it. I bought it new in 1996 from a place called Clockwork & Steam that used to sell Russian stuff back in the day. It cost me £130.00 (I think). It's one of the few watches I've owned that long !