• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JP-UK

Online vintange watch repairers?

HI All - (apologies if this is covered in a thread I didn't find - relatively new here):

I've got my first vintage manual (tudor) watch that clearly needs a service and repair (bought at an auction) - watch stops running when hour is just past 5. If I re-set time to after 6 or 7, it runs again until soon after 5. Also some click/slip on winding as far as my novice hands can tell.

Do people rate or trust any of the online repair sites that now seem to come up loads advertised on search results?

I live in London, so I imagine there are loads of local places too (happy to get suggestions of honest not extortionate places too)

Thanks

JP

Hi jp, give Simon2 a shout on this forum and see what help/advice he could offer. If I needed a service he would be go to man. :thumbsup:

HI simon - many thanks. I tried to message you on the forum here but it says you cannot receive messages?

Basically I have a vintage tudor 'presentation' watch that is my first vintage piece. I bought it at an auction as I mentioned in the first post. At first the watch stopped when the hour was somewhere between 5 and 6. I actually took it into a shop I was near before the new year and the guy said the problem was a bent minute hand. he straightened it and it no longer got 'stuck' any more.

However, the watch is running fast. It gains around 5-10 minutes per hour, I'd guess. I have been asking around and been told it needs a service to sort this out. So I've been looking online for servicing places, but not sure who is good to go with or trustworthy (and reasonably priced for what is needed). Hence my message on the forum here and your name being recommended.

I'm attaching a couple of photos so you know what the movement looks like and the type of watch it is. Please let me know what you think

Many thanks

Justin

&xtz=0

&xtz=0

I don't want to alarm anyone but is that really a genuine Tudor movement ? The engraving alone doesn't look Tudor-style...

An easy watch to service. Would like to see it at my bench to be able to give you an accurate costings. A rough cost would be around £60+ return postage. Hope this helps. Shout If you need me.

Thanks Simon, I'd be happy to send it to you and pay for a service + postage. Could you message me directly an address to which I can ship it (if you don't want to post your address here?)

-Justin

p.s. to Tourbillion - I would defer to the experts on that. Simon might be able to say if not once he sees it I imagine?

My address is in the links directory, but here it is for simplicity.  Essex Clock and Watch Clinic. 74 Mayesbrook road, Goodmayes, Essex. IG3 9PJ