• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JIMMYNo1

Seiko advice

So after being won over by the Seiko fan boys I decided to buy my first. I originally thought about going down the SKX route but I fancied something older with a nice vintage patina to it. Also I didn't want something too large. After factoring these things in as well as cost and with much searching and fruitless bidding on eBay I eventually landed a Seiko 4205-0150. Using the Seiko dating guide I manged to date it to 1986.

Now, as expected it manually winds but doesn't hack. However there seems to be no quick set date function when I expected there to be one. Admittedly the crown is really stiff and awkward to operate (as is the bezel) Could there be a fault with the date mechanism? It changes fine at the 12 o'clock position and seeems to keep very good time (maybe +2/3 seconds per day)

Overall the watch looks great, rather battered Pepsi bezel, no signs of polishing, lume is terrible especially on the dial but when all said and done it cost me 60 quid.

• Like 1

UPDATE!

After fidling with the crown for a good while I eventually got the nack of the date set. I didn't do this before as I wasn't fully convinced it had the quick set function. It'd be easier to successfully enter a show jumping event on a cow than what it is to set the date on this watch. I believe a service may be in order. If anyone can give me a price estimate for a service on this watch or maybe recommend somewhere in the South Yorkshire area it'd be greatly appreciated.

Can't help you with recommendations but, yes, get it serviced and it will function like new.

If you ask me, I would leave it as it is, aesthetically. I really love the look it has. The bezel most likely just needs cleaning. If it rotates both ways, doesn't click, etc. then it might need a few parts replaced.

The 4205 has quickset date if I'm not mistaken. Have you managed to get it working ? Does the crown have 2 positions ? One for date setting and one for time setting ? It's possible that some inner components might be damaged or some spring jumped out of it's place, so to speak. Some of those parts are made out of plastic.

19 minutes ago, gimli said:

The 4205 has quickset date if I'm not mistaken. Have you managed to get it working ? Does the crown have 2 positions ? One for date setting and one for time setting ? It's possible that some inner components might be damaged or some spring jumped out of it's place, so to speak. Some of those parts are made out of plastic.

Yes after reading up on it I did confirm it should have quick set date so after playing around I finally got it to work. The crown is megger stiff to unscrew and then has an awful spongy feel to it when setting the time or date. It doesn't seem to click into either position properly.

As for the bezzel its bi-directional but again, really really stiff and has pretty much no click at all. 

Aesthetically I absolutely love the watch and won't be changing that. As I said it keeps fantastic time its just those little niggles with the crown and bezel function I'd like sorting.

Edited by JIMMYNo1
Spelling mistake

Hi JIMMYNo1.

Yorkshire Watches are in Shipley and advertise themselves as a Seiko only shop, they are not an official AD, dont know if this would bother you. I have bought watches from them in the past and had good customer service. Can't speak about the servicing of watches though. Any way just a though if it's not to far away.

Regards, Paul.

Edited by RSR934

7 minutes ago, RSR934 said:

Hi JIMMYNo1.

Yorkshire Watches are in Shipley and advertise themselves as a Seiko only shop, they are not an official AD, dont know if this would bother you. I have bought watches from them in the past and had good customer service. Can't speak about the servicing of watches though. Any way just a though if it's not to far away.

Regards, Paul.

That's great Paul thanks. I'll give them a try. Doesn't bother me at all that they aren't an AD as it cost me relatively little. That's not to say I'm not fond of it of course and I would like to get it running nicely providing it doesn't cost twice what the watch is worth. If that was the case I'd just live with it as it is.

good show.  that is the sort of project that should be kept,  for a while anyway.  vin