• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
WRENCH

Local watchmaker's.

I've been spending a bit of time researching watchmaker's in my own locality and found this one worthy of further investigation after a friend let me see an example.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ivory_(watchmaker)

I would be most interested to learn of others, (less prominent) if anyone has the info. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, dear Wrench. May I also add, for those in the Eastbourne area, that there is now another watch and clock repairer in Eastbourne town centre, based in the Enterprise Centre, near Eastbourne station. His surname is Brabham, and he is related to Jack Brabham the racing driver - I have heard a preliminary good report of his service and apparently he does not actually sell watches, just fixes them. It does seem that Eastbourne is a bit of a mecca for those who are looking to buy a watch or have one repaired.

A few of the Edinburgh based names that I have seen (some are more retailers than proper watchmakers)

Hamilton & Inches
Robert Bryson & Sons
R L Christie
Brook & Son
Sydney Latimer
Tatton
Mackay & Chisholm
J Richie & Son
John Cleland
Mackay Cunningham & Co
Brownlee & Son
B Eprile
James Aitchison
John P Hutton
Robert Green
J Klar
J G Malcolm
Levitus & Co
A Dickieson

Thomas Reid

John Bryson

Wilson & Sharp

Thanks @animalone and @Always"watching". I've spent too much time gazing at the wonderful insides of American railroad watches, at the expense of home grown products.

James Ivory movement.

Picture-049001-1-495x395.jpg

and a Dwerrihouse of Berkeley Square London movement from a previous post.

large.IMG_20171115_125753.jpg.a06a273a37

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My dear Wrench, thanks for being so courteous so as not to ridicule me for getting the purpose of your thread so "terribly" wrong. I, of course, thought you were referring to watch restorers and repairers currently operating near me rather than true period watchmakers.:biggrin:

Thanks also for those wonderful watch pics: they don't make them like that these days - well, perhaps for prices over the moon.

Coventry (40 minutes away from where I live) has a rich & notable history of watchmaking with many respected watchmaker's.

I've picked a couple out for starters...

Rotherhams.

W. Williamson's

J. Player & Son...

large.IMG_4400.JPG.2e3eb7775f28ed21f8db0f6b0a5a4ab1.JPG

Henry Graves Supercomplication looks familiar :whistle:......25 years later!

large.IMG_4403.JPG.29ad7eba67af1658d31823472f08d441.JPG

large.IMG_4404.JPG.ef532f25c2446f7322d192584810ad2d.JPG

Perhaps for me the most notable & surprisingly still largely unknown by many, is Bahn Bonniksen, inventor of the Karrusel escapement :whistle:

This invention excelled in the Kew watch timing trials in the early 1900's.

Apart from his other inventions, Bonniksen was instrumental in 1906 in the formation of the The British Clock & Watchmaker's Guild.  It was his desire that the Guild should not be recognised as another workman's association, but a professional body of craftsmen with the same recognition as other professions. 

Interestingly, recent research (you heard it here first) by the Coventry Watch Museum & Herbert Museum Coventry, Bahn Bonniksen was German born (Bov Schlesvig), not Danish as was previously thought/assumed. :yes:

large.IMG_4402.JPG.32335ad61ff5eb3940e41d8fae50740c.JPG

Some interesting data from old records...

large.IMG_4405.JPG.98c59e59dd12917c72d79a68356af836.JPG

large.IMG_4407.JPG.7ba3c4100c71c58bade299a1daa68465.JPG

:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

J Player & Son...

Where did it all go wrong? Plenty of info on the more popular pieces, but it requires a bit of digging for the good stuff from our own back yard.

Im18960307ILN-Smiths.jpg

540x360.jpg

Im19091106Auto-Smiths.jpg

• Like 2

WWI!

In Coventry all the skill set transferred from the war effort to cycle & car production. :)

Sadly watch production, which we was worldly acclaimed for, never regained its position. :(

Having said that, I have it on good authority that the Swiss have recognised a resurgence & are watching us closely.

:clap:

P.S. The main centres of watch production at the time was London, Coventry & Liverpool.  Due to close proximity to the railways & ports.

A picture of a well known 'Bridlington Watchmaker'...

large.IMG_4406.JPG.b0f808a482e84b282fe4028656924f01.JPG

I wonder how many times he has to replace his watch crystal ?

:tongue:

:rltrlt:

Edited by Karrusel
  • Haha 2

On 04/12/2017 at 14:27, Karrusel said:

A picture of a well known 'Bridlington Watchmaker'...

large.IMG_4406.JPG.b0f808a482e84b282fe4028656924f01.JPG

I wonder how many times he has to replace his watch crystal ?

:tongue:

:rltrlt:

Not on a Wednesday when the Tea Dances are on at the Spa :crazy5vh:

• Haha 1