• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
gallch

Vostok 1943 not worth repairing?

So my Vostok 1943 suffered a detached logo on the face and has been keeping poor time.  To be fair, I only paid £40 for it so wasn't surprised when a local repair shop told me it would be hard to repair and not worth the cost.

Anyone got a different view?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gallch said:

So my Vostok 1943 suffered a detached logo on the face and has been keeping poor time.  To be fair, I only paid £40 for it so wasn't surprised when a local repair shop told me it would be hard to repair and not worth the cost.

Local repair shops tend to do that. Possibly your watch requires servicing, which will most likely cost more than your £40. I like that particular model so I would probably get it serviced by someone who"knows" Vostok's.

I'm assuming we're talking about one of these ?

k-43LEdet.jpg

Or these,

s-l300.jpg

Also, it is worth seeing what a new replacement movement would cost.

Google, CHISTOPOLCITY and MERANOM for info.

• Like 1

Logos are either glued or applied (with little feet that go into the dial). Either way they can be fixed back onto the dial but it's a fiddly job... Transparent jewelry glue can be used. The kind that dries in 10-15 minutes and can be wiped off with isopropyl alcohol.

20 minutes ago, gallch said:

The latter. Any idea what the replacement movement might cost? 

If you identify which watch you have, then research via google you will find the model number of the movement. The two watches pictured should be; 

1st pic Vostok 2415 movement. Currently listed @$42 +post from Meranom.

2nd pic Vostok  2416B movement. Currently listed @$39 +post from Meranom.

You will still have to pay someone to fit the movement, so the cost will be more than likely at least double what you paid for the watch in the first place.

Have you had the watch checked on a timegrapher? It may just require regulating rather than a service and sticking the logo back on is a pretty simple job.

19 hours ago, gallch said:

Good advice from @Lampoc

It may only require regulating, how bad is the timekeeping ? The factory spec states a tolerance of -20 to +60 seconds /day, so comparing that with a quartz watch many find it unacceptable. 

The timekeeping is probably just about within those tolerances but I need to get that logo stuck back on first as it's obstructing the hands!