• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
UncleDavid

Smiths Astral. Watch strap

Smiths%20Astral%20Strap%201_zpslflv9i3m.

Smiths%20Astral%20AA_zps1gbdxe4w.jpg

Hello, I recently acquired a beautiful Smiths Astral.

The watch strap has a vintage look and I wondered if it might even be the original.

I did once read somewhere that Smiths made everything in house; from watch boxes to watch straps.

This strap does have a letter S embossed on the strap. Perhaps for Smiths (or possibly Speidel or other)

Any opinions please ?

The watch is from the 1950s. I don't think the leather is the original one but I could be wrong... Are you sure it's a V and not a rhombus ? It looks like a rhombus from the first photo. If it's not the original one it's still a vintage strap as it looks to be a few decades old.

The crown is also not the genuine one as far as I can tell. :)

Hello Gimli, thanks for your response.

Yes, the embossed "S" is within a "rhombus" shape.

When you ask "Are you sure it's a V and not a rhombus ?" ; I didn't describe the shape of the embossing on the strap so I'm not sure why you refer to a "V" and a "rhombus"

SMITHS ASTRAL ENGLISH MANUFACTURED WATCHES. WITH SMITHS THESE WERE A LINE OF WATCHES WITH CHEAPER FINISHES TO THE ESCAPEMENT COMPONENTS. THESE STARTED WITH THE CONVENTIONAL 15 AND 17 JEWEL MOVEMENTS AND ENDED WITH THE ASTRAL NAME BEING USED ON IMPORTED RENAMED PRODUCTS WITH SWISS AND JAPANESE PARTS. THIS IS ACTUALLY ONE OF THE OLDEST SMITHS USED NAMES, WITH ITS ORIGINS IN THE 19TH CENTURY BEING USED FINALLY BY H.WILLIAMSON BEFORE THEY WERE ABSORBED BY SMITHS. THE 19TH/EARLY 20TH CENTURY VERSIONS CAME IN 7-19 JEWEL VERSIONS THAT I HAVE SEEN.

• Confused 1

Can’t see your watch strap photos but I have seen some NOS smiths watch straps before one I had was an old pig skin one (don’t seem to really find those anymore) 

Hello ZenArcade,

Thanks for your response.

I did upload photos of the watch and the watch strap from  Photobucket .

They did appear for a short time but now all I can see is a picture which says

"Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting. then a picture of a analogue gauge

showing "3rd part hosting usage"

I've sent a message to the administrators asking for advice.

Here's another photo of the strap

Smiths%20Astral%20Strap%201_zpslflv9i3m.

I have lots of Smiths Empire original straps but no Deluxe/Astral originals. Smiths watches are my passion, I have literally hundreds in my collection and spend many hours restoring them. This is my latest restoration project...a Smiths A404. Needed a good service but little else!

FREE%20SHIPPING

• Like 1