• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Fixing Old Timex Quartz

I just acquired this nifty old Timex quartz. It's working, but it has some problems and I'd love some advice on what to do.

First, I had to struggle a bit to remove the old battery. When I inserted a new one, it wouldn't stay in place. It kept popping out. I finally held it in the best I could and quickly screwed on the caseback to hold it into place. Is there a trick to getting the battery to stay in place?

Then I noticed the second hand would periodically pause for a 1-3 seconds. Sometimes it even goes backward by a second. I watched it for a while and I'm not able to discern a solid pattern. But it seems to stop and start near the top of the hour more often than at other positions. If I let it go for a while, the watch will eventually stop. What might cause this?

I thought I'd take out the movement and see if there's a problem with the way the hands are attached, but I can't figure out how to remove the stem. Anyone know how?

If I need to replace the movement, does anyone know what type this is and/or whether I can replace it with a modern movement (or an old one salvaged from another watch)?

32 minutes ago, brummie1875 said:

This looks to be the same model watch but alas the picture of the back is not very close. I suppose @Dave098 could ask the question or perhaps get a better photo of the movement from sellers?

Yup, that's the model. Here's a more detailed photo of the movement:

I pulled out the movement, removed the hands, used the blower to clean the pinion, and replaced the hands. No luck. The second hand still stops and starts.

At this point, I presume the best option is to replace the movement. But I don't know how to identify the movement and/or a modern replacement. Here are a couple of photos of the movement with all of the markings noted. The only number I see is 807 (which appears in the battery compartment).

I don't have a caliper to get the precise height and pinion measurements, but the body of the movement is 21mmx24mm.

Any help would be appreciated!

Movement is TIMEX own - Made by Philip in the Pines - - he has a large shed there where he made these up! :whistle:

Sorry I don't "do" these modern fangled Quartz things, so can't help really, but the easiest fix would be a new (or NOS) movement, however where from would be the problem. :tumbleweed:

• Like 1