• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
antony

Russian watch , crown problem

I have just got one of these waterproof russian watches, it has a bezel on it a anchor on the dial.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement  screw down Crown, as the one that is on the watch the spring has gone on it, and it just flops around when its unscrewed. 

Thanks. 

I assume you mean a Vostok. If so they're like that from new. The wobbly crown is a well known feature of these watches. I have a vintage manual wind and modern auto and they both have a wobbly crown when unscrewed. It's part of the design and doesn't affect the use of the watch, albeit it takes a little getting used to :thumbs_up:

• Like 1

@antony check out some of the reviews on YouTube and you will see mention and examples of this weird wobbly crown phenomena.

"The stem incorporates a clutch to protect it from lateral forces. This clutch gives the stem a wobbly feel as it doesn't engage unless you pull the crown away from the watch."

Wot LL and W says above - - WCS (wobbly Crown Syndrome) is indeed part of the charm of the Vostok (Boctok) ranges, so worry not :laugh: and fret even less!

:tumbleweed: relax qnd enjoy!

Well I sorted it out now, removed the stem,  fitted a small spring within the pendant tube and  ta da,  no more wobbly crown.

If, as I suspect, your watch was working as designed, you haven't really sorted anything.

Here's a translated quote referring to the original designers.

"The final thing the Novikoff and Belova needed to look at, was the function of the crown. Now as it’s a diving watch it obviously had a screw down crown. But the Amphibia crown and stem assembly co-operates a clutch between the two pieces, this is actually hidden inside the crown. They are only coupled together when the crown is pulled slightly away from the stem. Otherwise, they decouple and you will find that the crown actually wobbles. To people that are new to the Amphibia, they sometimes think that the watch is broken. But it’s actually there for a reason. It is this clutch and it prevents the stem from getting bent if there is an impact on the watch. So basically it means that the movement and the stem is completely separate from the case, so if there is any shock put on the case,and if there is any slight movement of the movement inside the case, you don’t have to worry about the stem becoming bent, and possibly damaging the movement."

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

If, as I suspect, your watch was working as designed, you haven't really sorted anything.

Here's a translated quote referring to the original designers.

"The final thing the Novikoff and Belova needed to look at, was the function of the crown. Now as it’s a diving watch it obviously had a screw down crown. But the Amphibia crown and stem assembly co-operates a clutch between the two pieces, this is actually hidden inside the crown. They are only coupled together when the crown is pulled slightly away from the stem. Otherwise, they decouple and you will find that the crown actually wobbles. To people that are new to the Amphibia, they sometimes think that the watch is broken. But it’s actually there for a reason. It is this clutch and it prevents the stem from getting bent if there is an impact on the watch. So basically it means that the movement and the stem is completely separate from the case, so if there is any shock put on the case,and if there is any slight movement of the movement inside the case, you don’t have to worry about the stem becoming bent, and possibly damaging the movement."

I concur with our esteemed member from the Highlands. :yes:

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Well I knew there was a reason for the wobbly crown - - and now I know that reason - - and to quote another - - I didn't when I got up this morning :yes: