• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Autonomous

Replace the crown... or not?

Hi,

I have this lovely little 1950s Accurist which I love wearing and everything on it is in very good nick... except, the crown is very thin and smooth. I'm sure it always was a slim line crown but because it has worn smooth, it is hard to wind because you can't get any purchase on it.

The question is, do I replace the crown or just put up with it and preserve the originallity of the watch, because it's in such good condition for 1950s..?

Thanks,

sRFUFVK.jpg

You should be able to find one that is as similar as the original one so I would replace it, especially since it wasn't a signed crown initially.

• Like 1

Difficult one....manufacturers knew crowns would wear and go smooth as the watch when in real service would be wound daily. So in fact they were disposable crowns. Keep it by all means especially if it still has a signature on it but don’t stress.

would be interesting to know how many hand wind watches from the 1950s did have signed crowns..????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bridgeman said:

Difficult one....manufacturers knew crowns would wear and go smooth as the watch when in real service would be wound daily. So in fact they were disposable crowns. Keep it by all means especially if it still has a signature on it but don’t stress.

would be interesting to know how many hand wind watches from the 1950s did have signed crowns..????

That's interesting, I've not thought of it like that before - the maker would expect parts to be replaced...

I've decided to look for a good replacement, then the watch could be a useful timepiece for another 50 years, you never know!

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

A friend of mine had an old Timex he wore every day for about ten years. In that time he had had a new crown fitted, three maybe four times. None of them were signed but he always asked for the worn-out crown to be returned.

• Like 1