• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
JayDeep

What constitutes an electric watch?

Surprised this hasn't already been answered and been a sticky on the page.

What does the seconds hand do?

And tell me, can I find one that meets my standards?

43mm minimum diameter

Mineral or Sapphire crystal

An Electric watch JD, is one that is largely "electro-mechanical" - - e.g. a mechanical watch mechanism that is driven/powered by a cell/battery driving a small motor of some kind rather than by the power from a tensioned spring. :yes:

An Electronic watch usually has some additional components which are used to regulate or otherwise improve the accuracy or running of the watch, and the earliest Electronics used simply a diode in the electrical circuitry to help prevent any pitting on the contacts used in the watch, amongst other possible things. To find out more you should spend an hour or five prowling through Silver Hawk's website

http://www.electric-watches.co.uk

which lists and illustrates both Electrics and Electronics together with ancillary info on the subject. Most of your other questions will find an answer there - - :yes:

So, anything powered by an electric current that doesn't have the word "quartz" in the specs is an electric watch.

I'm sure I have oversimplified but someone's got to try and make the answer a one-liner.:laugh:

I can't think of any that meet your specs.  But an older rectangular watch might give the same size impression - rectangular watches have a larger surface area so always feel bigger that the width suggests

This is what an electric movement looks like. These were produced during the vintage period so none will meet your criteria but I do wonder if there are modern electric watches/movements out there... Maybe something german ? Didn't they make something like this ?

ESA-9150.jpg

1 hour ago, gimli said:

This is what an electric movement looks like. These were produced during the vintage period so none will meet your criteria but I do wonder if there are modern electric watches/movements out there... Maybe something german ? Didn't they make something like this ?

ESA-9150.jpg

My Nivada is not an electric movement, but an electronic one as it has a transistor, capacitors etc.  An electric one IMO only has a set of points and coil like this Hamilton 500:

Hamilton-Electric-17J-500-615L-Prototype

Edited by Silver Hawk

Electronic is what I meant to say. I'm assuming that Jay also meant electronic.

Anyway, Jay, the seconds hands are smooth sweeping.............well mostly........as far as I know.