• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Always"watching"

Timex Goes Back to Basics: The Marlin

In an interesting move, out of the blue, Timex has decided to go back to its beginnings and produce a simple mechanical watch which is based on their 1960s Marlin, and retains the same model name. This news is very recent, and the sources I used to bring the news to you are not even yet sure what the movement is. What I can tell you is that it is a Chinese (Seagull?) hand-wind hacking movement.

Period 1950s Timex Marlin (pic from alanwatch.homestead.com):

leather1.jpg

Vintage Timex Marlin wristwatch from 1967 (pic from timexman.nl):

002-Timex-Marlin-1967-chroom-12-6.jpg

The silvertone sunburst dial is neat and simple, with stylish alternate Arabic numerals and markers. The dial also has the word "TIMEX" as branding but no other information except the word "WATERPROOF" on it. The 34 X 10mm case is in stainless steel and the domed crystal is in acrylic. As for price, the new vintage-inspired Marlin is $199.

If you enjoy wearing smaller sized watches (and I myself have finally decided that wearing any watch with a case over 40mm in width is just not possible with my slim wrists), then this is a nice little timepiece that could easily be mistaken for something NOS from the 1960s.

The new version of the Timex Marlin wristwatch as described here in the text (pics from wornandwound.com):

TIMEX_MARLIN_1.jpg

TIMEX_MARLIN_3.jpg

• Like 3

They had one about six years ago, I bought one.    Sadly rubbish.  I hope this is better :thumbsup:

I'm a sucker for this sort of thing.  Accurist did something similar with the "Clerkenwell 1946" and so has Braun with their re-issues of the AW10 and AW50.  I bought into both the Accurist and the Braun AW10 but £175/$199 for the Timex seems a bit steep to me given that you can probably find a working original for a lot less than that.  I'm off to check!

The Timex mechanical I bought six years ago was 65 quid.  Not paying 175 for that :(

A quick trawl of eBay suggests to me that, given current asking prices, Timex might have been better re-issuing their military-style boy's watch (there was also a full size version) which seems very popular.  Oh no, wait a minute, Roy already covered that with the RLT18 so they'd be 12 years too late to that party :biggrin: 

"Marlin" prices seems a lot higher in the USA compared to the similar looking British versions.  I wonder if they're technically the same but just sold under a different model name.

• Like 2

US$200 for an old fashioned watch ... sorry, Timex, I can buy a Seiko 5 or similar that's just as vintage looking and more affordable. :(

• Like 2

Covered on WUS, looks to be a Chinese movement strap a bit rubbish and I think about £100 overpriced otherwise I would have got one for nostalgia alone.  Think I may get one of the Timex peanuts watches though.

• Like 1

I agree with those who consider the price rather high. I collect HMT watches, and they have been making perfectly decent mechanical watches for a fraction of the price of the Marlin. And of course, we have our dear Japanese friends Seiko and Orient, who have also been giving us good mechanical watches for less than the price of that new Timex Marlin. I suppose that the Timex name does arouse a bit of nostalgia and that will no doubt persuade some of us to buy a new "re-issue" Marlin, but I would like to know more about the movement being used if I was going to invest that sort of money in the watch.:)

Just seen this, quite an interesting idea. £160 on the Timex UK site, so I'd like to think we'll see it cheaper should it make it out to the usual discounters.

I assume they're following the trend of watch companies raiding the back catalogues, which is great to see -- reissuing a few of the classics would be a winner for all.

Despite being initially discouraged by the somewhat hefty £175 price tag of the 2017 Timex Marlin, I was finally persuaded to order one by Timex’s offer of a 15% discount off my first online purchase and therefore decided to sacrifice just shy of £150 in the pursuit of WISdom!  Free delivery took three days and I found the parcel, which required a signature for delivery, left abandoned on my doorstep when I got home last night; thanks Royal Mail!

Eagerly tearing open the package like a kid on Christmas morning, I discovered a somewhat ostentatious (compared with the Timex of old) presentation box which I guess is a nice touch but somewhat superfluous.

Timex%20Marlin%202017%20Packaging.jpg

Timex%20Marlin%202017%20Packagingb.jpg

Nestled within is what I can only describe as a near-perfect recreation of a classic Timex from the 1960’s.  It’s all there, an iconic design, 34mm case width and a domed acrylic crystal to boot (and then polish afterwards!)  A wave of nostalgia washed over me and I was instantly transported back to my childhood.  To help understand why, here’s the 2017 Marlin compared to a very similar Timex I got for Christmas circa 1975.

Timex%20Marlin%201975-2017.jpg

As you can see, I immediately dispensed with the genuine leather (though frankly rather “plasticky”) shiny black faux-Croc strap and, after a hunt through my collection, substituted it for something a little more upmarket that still harked back to the 60’s/70’s.

On-wrist, the 34mm Marlin is, I think, a perfect size and I’m glad Timex resisted the temptation to make it larger, unlike Accurist who chose to swell their Clerkenwell 1946 model to 40mm which makes it look too large in my opinion.  The Arabic numerals and batons are presented in relief on a silvery-gold tone dial that, whilst looking beautiful to the naked eye, is infuriating to capture in a photograph.

Timex%20Marlin%202017b.jpg

Overall quality of the new Timex Marlin is, well… OK.  Nothing more, nothing less.  But this is Timex remember, not Rolex.  The case is stainless steel and the snap-on back, for those with the courage to prise it off, reveals what I’ve gleaned from elsewhere (Chascomm on WuS) is a rather nice 20-jewel Sea-Gull ST6.  There are “blued” screws, a little bit of decoration, and some Timex branding.  Now I know that some people will hate the small movement and big plastic spacer, but dare I say that this could be the best mechanical movement to ever grace a hand-winding Timex?

Timex-Seagull-ST6.jpg

Amusingly, the case back is embossed “Circa 2017” and, below what I presume is the model number, “43” is stamped.  I think this means the watch was produced in July 2017.

Timex%20Marlin%202017%20Case%20Back.jpg

So, is this brand-new “old” Timex worth the money?  If, like me, you have fond memories of Timex from yesteryear, appreciate the vintage design and value a Timex that, in this case, really should be able to “take a licking and keep on ticking” for many years to come, then yes!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

So, is this brand-new “old” Timex worth the money?  If, like me, you have fond memories of Timex from yesteryear, appreciate the vintage design and value a Timex that, in this case, really should be able to “take a licking and keep on ticking” for many years to come, then yes!

Probably one of the best executed retro's I've seen in a long time. Value ?

:sign_wtf: when did that enter the formula ? :laughing2dw:.  Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/11/2017 at 14:08, rhaythorne said:

I immediately dispensed with the genuine leather 

Hmm, begging for a "Fixoflex" methinks.

Timex%20Marlin%202017b.jpg

Looks like my self imposed watch ban may be short lived. :angry:

• Like 1

I tried Fixoflex bracelets.  They really don't work; tan leather is the optimum choice I think.  I'll post a pic or two tomorrow when it's light! 

16 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Hmm, begging for a "Fixoflex" methinks.

Hmm yes, in hindsight I think you're probably right.  I quite like this two-tone Speidel which has a pale gold (possibly it's just worn) central band with silver edges.  It compliments the shimmery gold/silver of the dial really nicely I think.

Timex%20Marlin%202017%20Speidel%202.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for review rhaythorne. I've got the Timex Marlin as well, and I've been very pleased with it. I put in on a 50s or 60s era Twist-O-Flex type bracelet and I've been happy so far with that. Here at the below link is a kind of obsessive review of the watch, along with many photos, comparison with the original 1965 Marlin this is modeled from, vintage diagrams, Japanese Timex reviews of the watch, and more. Here is the link: http://randomfootage.homestead.com/timexmarlin2017.html Thanks. Alan, Chicago

20171122_1432441.jpg

• Thanks 1

I quite like that, very clean and clear. Too small for my wrist but I could get away with a 38mm version. 

Nice to wear something that takes one back to one’s childhood though! 

That looks just perfect in my eyes, congratulations on your purchase, and thanks for sharing your watch with us. :thumbsup:

That was a great read well done and any review with the word "Superfluous" in gets my vote brilliant! :yes:

I think I want one but not sure on the 34mm......have kind of got used to wearing 38mm and above now,

I hope other Timex models are considered for revival with a windup movement like some of the early 50m divers?

That would be cool

1 hour ago, rodiow said:

I think I want one but not sure on the 34mm

They don't hurt. :)

The "flexi" just finishes the watch off. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

This has been mooted around for a while from TIMEX sources, finally now coming to fruition. I'd say it's a tad over the affordable price range, but then, so is many a manufacturer now. If you extrapolate using one of the "inflation" calculators, then the price is about right from the mid 60's models.

In the original time frame there were around a dozen "Marlin" models plus another six with calendar designation, all more or less used the #22 or #24 movement for the pliain vanilla, the date models used the #25. Usually the hardest to come by is the 1968 with the #24 movement and horizontal batons markers except at 12, 3, 6 and 9.

From my desk at the Useless Information Helpline! :whistle:

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, mel said:

I'd say it's a tad over the affordable price range,

I'd say more than a tad. Hopefully it will have decent backup if anything goes wrong, servicing etc, but other watches with the same movement can be had for a lot less.