• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
JayDeep

Watches in the wild

I know this has been done before ( @RWP ), but haven't seen one in a while so I wanted to start it again...

Today I had a customer with a Navitimer. I recognized it immediately, but held off on commenting because I was wearing my Parnis perpetual. Lol

Thought to myself, "Dang it, why couldn't I have worn my Doxa or Seiko SpringDrive?"

Eventually I did, he didn't seem to much care, obviously wasn't a WIS.

When you see recognizable watches out in the wild, do you comment and try to create conversation?

I used to, but I just got mainly funny looks from customers, or generally negative feedback from morons who wear whichever brand they own because “it’s the best”

Know what you own... that’s what I say!

Occasionally conversations with business associates turn to watches but more often nothing is said about wrist wear.   Most people aren't into watches like we are so don't tend to consider them worth a mention.  

Dang it???? I think i just threw up in my mouth a little :) 

No, i wont mention other peoples watches or my watches to strangers, 99.9% of the time you end up looking like a stalker/general weirdo 

Am I going mental? did you not start a similar thread recently? 

I think I cracked it, you are RWP's insomniac American alter ego, that explains the slagging off the British and fascination with guns/knives/hunting etc

A bit like when you see a 6'4" transvestite who looks like andre the giant wearing a cocktail dress around ASDA, just trying way too hard :) 

Only a bit of fun Jay(Rog) I know you wont take offence

Edited by Montybaber
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Montybaber said:

Dang it???? I think i just threw up in my mouth a little :) 

No, i wont mention other peoples watches or my watches to strangers, 99.9% of the time you end up looking like a stalker/general weirdo 

Am I going mental? did you not start a similar thread recently? 

I think I cracked it, you are RWP's insomniac American alter ego, that explains the slagging off the British and fascination with guns/knives/hunting etc

A bit like when you see a 6'4" transvestite who looks like andre the giant wearing a cocktail dress around ASDA, just trying way too hard :) 

Only a bit of fun Jay(Rog) I know you wont take offence

I agree, Craig....why risk being labelled a 'nutter'....in fact I never even look at what other people are wearing when I'm out...I'm quite often not wearing one myself anyway. 

The only time I commented on a stranger's watch I had quite an amusing conversation. 

The young lad on the check-out at Harvey Nicks had a gold seiko, maybe early 70s, probably just a seiko 5 or something but I commented because young people don't tend to pick something like that out unless they are WIS and I thought it might spark a conversation.

Turns out it was his grandads, the battery had leaked and it didn't even work. He was literally just wearing it as a fashion accessory! Apparently he had tried to get it repaired to no avail but we both had a laugh at my WISing and him being a shameless fashionista, deliberately wearing a non-working watch.

I do tend to look, but also would tend not to mention if I did see anything. I think many people buy "a nice watch" as a brand, without necessarily being very into watches as a whole. Several people I know wear Rolex because that's a good watch that a successful person wears, but they don't know about different Rolex models, far less other watches.

On the other hand it is a chance to trigger some fun discussion and information exchange if you do happen to meet a fellow fan - just never seems to happen! 

On 29/10/2017 at 08:37, Cyclops930 said:

I notice watches on people all the time however I never comment as I suspect they would think I was a nutter. :rolleyes:

Same here

2 minutes ago, Biker said:

Same here

Ditto! I happened to mention to a guy who was in visiting a friend, that I liked his omega! You’d think I was trying to rob him, his hand instantly covered the watch and he mumbled something and left the room like I was a freak!!

• Like 1

May be different here because our crime rate isn't near as bad? I mean here as in Oregon. In Chicago or New York I'd have the same frame of mind as you lot, I'm guessing.

Not really sure, but I'm a sales person so looking like a nut job means nothing to me. Let alone others' opinions of me have never meant anything to me. I'm extremely extroverted and narcissistic, so it's my nature.

And @Montybaber, you're right, I just now remember doing one just like this recently about my Doxa and a guy who asked if I was wearing a Nixon. I was so offended. Lol

3 hours ago, JayDeep said:

May be different here because our crime rate isn't near as bad? I mean here as in Oregon. In Chicago or New York I'd have the same frame of mind as you lot, I'm guessing.

Not really sure, but I'm a sales person so looking like a nut job means nothing to me. Let alone others' opinions of me have never meant anything to me. I'm extremely extroverted and narcissistic, so it's my nature.

And @Montybaber, you're right, I just now remember doing one just like this recently about my Doxa and a guy who asked if I was wearing a Nixon. I was so offended. Lol

So you can be offended Jay. Just have to insult one of your watches. :laugh:

• Haha 1

I have been known to with various success... I tend to know before I say anything what the reaction will be (from combination of which watch and what sort of person) I now tend to avoid discussion with Rolex/Breitling owners... I also find Patek owners tend to be embarrassed and pull down their sleeve but something like Favre or Vacheron and you know theres a good chance for WIS conversation.

7 hours ago, Robden said:

So you can be offended Jay. Just have to insult one of your watches. :laugh:

Not really, just lack of a better term or rather lack of a desire to seek one out.

I look all the time. I too am a salesman of sorts and a lot of my job involves talking to customers. I have who wears a Rolex one day and an old (as in knackered, not vintage) Seiko the next. He's not a WIS and actually laughed when I commented that he seemed to be wearing a piece of old tat when the day before he'd had the Rolex on.

I have one guy who keeps coming in and showing me watches that I could never afford and mostly don't like. Now I have a decent phone again I will take some pics next time he comes in.

I also have one guy who wears an old Hamilton (1975), one who's in to Vostoks, and one with an old Seiko 6119 . You should have seen his face when I asked him if that's what it was. A mixture of disbelief and amusement that anyone would be so sad as to be able to identify it from 6 feet away.:laugh:

• Like 1

If I see a watch I like I always comment just a simple nice watch they talk or they don't. but I also do it for other things if I see a woman with nice hair i don't stop and talk ill say just nice hair it always gets a smile never a negative reply because I'm just giving a complement.I do the same with bikes and beards

• Like 1

I've met a few resellers lately and have been sneaking looks at their wrists to see what they have on (if anything) -- but never said anything, yet

There is an old lady who has her breakfast in a cafe I go to, and she wears a Panerai round her jacket sleave, I have passed comment on it, and she told me it was her late husband's, and that's why she wears it. Its an old one, and I worry that some scumbag will be off with it some day.

53 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

There is an old lady who has her breakfast in a cafe I go to, and she wears a Panerai round her jacket sleave, I have passed comment on it, and she told me it was her late husband's, and that's why she wears it. Its an old one, and I worry that some scumbag will be off with it some day.

The usual scumbag would be more interested in her purse :bash:

I also passed comment on an Omega I saw someone wearing in Pittentrail. The owners wife had bought it as a wedding present for when they got married, after she flew home from active duty at the end of WW2. I do like a story. A good ice breaker is always, " that's a beautiful watch you're wearing" with a pleasant smile. :) .