• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

10 hours ago, bowie said:

I had a green ss50 think it was 5-speed mates had fs1e and Suzuki ap50 we went all over the northeast on them had the head done three times 1st moped was a freebie from my uncle a puch 50  one seat job 50p lasted a month.

I had a green 5 speed one as well. They had caliper brakes and higher bars. The one i bought had been stolen and the forks taken off and wiring harness cut. 

I put the forks off my original one on it and because id only paid £30 i was quite chuffed.i was 18 at the time so only used it for work. 

I can remember all sorts of mopeds turning up at this youth club when i got my first one as a 16 year old.

Honda and Yamaha, Garelli Rekord and Tiger Cross, Casal, Malagutti, Puch, Motobecane, Gilera and even a Fantic Chopper. 

One of my mates had nearly 70 out of his Garelli Rekord with the wind behind him but with the wind in his face it was as slow as my SS50. 

The European mopeds were exotic looking but the electrics were medieval and the magnetos always blew. 

Happy days though, petrol at 60odd pence/gallon which was just as well as my apprentice wages were £10.96/week

11 hours ago, JDMdenon said:

I've got a CD90z which is similar however it's not a stephrough. Also own 74 Popsi purple fizzy!!!!!!!!!

When i was in my 5th (and last) year at school a couple of the lads turned up on fizzies. That would have been late '73 and they were both in Yamaha gold. 

Another lad did his paper round on his SS50, boy was i jealous :bash: as i saw his moped outside of the paper shop where we worked. The Git:laugh:

11 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I had a green 5 speed one as well. They had caliper brakes and higher bars. The one i bought had been stolen and the forks taken off and wiring harness cut. 

I put the forks off my original one on it and because id only paid £30 i was quite chuffed.i was 18 at the time so only used it for work. 

I can remember all sorts of mopeds turning up at this youth club when i got my first one as a 16 year old.

Honda and Yamaha, Garelli Rekord and Tiger Cross, Casal, Malagutti, Puch, Motobecane, Gilera and even a Fantic Chopper. 

One of my mates had nearly 70 out of his Garelli Rekord with the wind behind him but with the wind in his face it was as slow as my SS50. 

The European mopeds were exotic looking but the electrics were medieval and the magnetos always blew. 

Happy days though, petrol at 60odd pence/gallon which was just as well as my apprentice wages were £10.96/week

Thanks for the good memories of my ss50 yes I remember those moped's great day's

1 hour ago, bowie said:

Thanks for the good memories of my ss50 yes I remember those moped's great day's

I'd forgotten all about the lad doing his paper round on his SS50 till i started typing it. 

The Italian mopeds all had stubby pedals that they used to pedal frantically to get going whereas the jap ones had kickstarts and modern electrics. 

My first Honda was £210 bought on 1st of August 1974.the FS1E's were £199 without indicators and £209 with. 

They were great days, flares and bum fluff hahaha

I saw a purple FS1E in a shop in Wigan about 20 years ago and it was dearer than the NC30 that i bought. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turpinr said:

I'd forgotten all about the lad doing his paper round on his SS50 till i started typing it. 

The Italian mopeds all had stubby pedals that they used to pedal frantically to get going whereas the jap ones had kickstarts and modern electrics. 

My first Honda was £210 bought on 1st of August 1974.the FS1E's were £199 without indicators and £209 with. 

They were great days, flares and bum fluff hahaha

I saw a purple FS1E in a shop in Wigan about 20 years ago and it was dearer than the NC30 that i bought. 

Yup, the earlier fizzy's are fetching some high prices! In between £4K-£7k!!! Id still like a NC30 but even they are fetching a lot, and I've seen a few in pretty rubbish states for silly prices.

I try to buy original with the intention to rebuild the engine and overhaul the bike keeping as much original as possible. I simply don't trust other people's spannering skills!

On 21/10/2017 at 12:05, WRENCH said:

You posers. :laughing2dw:

I ran for well into the 100,000's on one of these. :huh:

mz-es250-oldtimer-motorrad-02.jpg

You become "invisible" on a Honda Cub. :yes:

I've got an ETZ 125 in bits alongside a Simson s50!! Love the Eastern European stuff!! Uncle owns a 175 jawa and a 653 isdt!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JDMdenon said:

Yup, the earlier fizzy's are fetching some high prices! In between £4K-£7k!!! Id still like a NC30 but even they are fetching a lot, and I've seen a few in pretty rubbish states for silly prices.

I try to buy original with the intention to rebuild the engine and overhaul the bike keeping as much original as possible. I simply don't trust other people's spannering skills!

How much are NC 24's and 30's going for now?? 

I had one of each but the 30 was much better. It was grey red and black. I paid £2,600 for it about '98 or so and it was still restricted when i got it. 

I actually thought the old 400/4 handled better than both 

PS. I wonder if you can still get those old yammy clock rubbers? 

2 minutes ago, JDMdenon said:

I've got an ETZ 125 in bits alongside a Simson s50!! Love the Eastern European stuff!! Uncle owns a 175 jawa and a 653 isdt!

I remember those old CZ/Jawas having a dual kick start-gear lever, or did i dream that? 

26 minutes ago, JDMdenon said:

I've got an ETZ 125 in bits alongside a Simson s50

I rebuilt loads of engines for these when Barry Rogers, and BSA Regal sold the spares. Their back up was second to none, sadly no more, which is why I gave up building them. The last Simson engine I built, was for someone who did an "end to end" charity run, completed trouble free. The only real problems with these things were poor quality bearings from the factory and bad metal on the gear selectors, both which could be improved easily and give thousands of trouble free miles. I had one of the last Turkish MZ's. Kanuni 301, very ugly. :laughing2dw:

dd19da834398c5a9ea0fceac187e5ba0.jpeg?im

Edited by WRENCH

28 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

How much are NC 24's and 30's going for now?? 

I had one of each but the 30 was much better. It was grey red and black. I paid £2,600 for it about '98 or so and it was still restricted when i got it. 

I actually thought the old 400/4 handled better than both 

PS. I wonder if you can still get those old yammy clock rubbers? 

I remember those old CZ/Jawas having a dual kick start-gear lever, or did i dream that? 

I've seen 'decent' ones at £4K, they are still obtainable..... for now. The only issue with them as I understand is alternator trouble. We had an NC for a little while and the alternator went funny at Manx GP (spectating) so we got rid!

Interesting about the 400/4, we have one, did you find your hands went numb on it?? 

And yes, you can still get the clock rubbers.... which serve absolutely no purpose!!

10 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I rebuilt loads of engines for these when Barry Rogers, and BSA Regal sold the spares. Their back up was second to none, sadly no more, which is why I gave up building them. The last Simson engine I built, was for someone who did an "end to end" charity run, completed trouble free. The only real problems with these things were poor quality bearings from the factory and bad metal on the gear selectors, both which could be improved easily and give thousands of trouble free miles. I had one of the last Turkish MZ's. Kanuni 301, very ugly. :laughing2dw:

dd19da834398c5a9ea0fceac187e5ba0.jpeg?im

I'd like to get an extra barrel for the Simson to put a big bore kit on for abut of fun!!

3 hours ago, JDMdenon said:

I've seen 'decent' ones at £4K, they are still obtainable..... for now. The only issue with them as I understand is alternator trouble. We had an NC for a little while and the alternator went funny at Manx GP (spectating) so we got rid!

Interesting about the 400/4, we have one, did you find your hands went numb on it?? 

And yes, you can still get the clock rubbers.... which serve absolutely no purpose!!

I loved that 400/4 and particularly liked the riding position. The only thing i had to do was buy a coil besides replace the chrome work. 

I dont know whether i had alternator prpblems on that nc30 or regulator re tifier, it was something like that. 

It had the tiniest spark plugs and the engine was a work of art. 

3 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

I loved that 400/4 and particularly liked the riding position. The only thing i had to do was buy a coil besides replace the chrome work. 

I dont know whether i had alternator prpblems on that nc30 or regulator re tifier, it was something like that. 

It had the tiniest spark plugs and the engine was a work of art. 

Youre right about the clock rubbers. 

I’m thinking of getting one for a bit of fairweather riding. Any suggestions on which model to get? Something that would get a fair proportion of my my money back if I sold it in 5 years time. I’d prefer a round headlight one. What are those JDM super cubs like? I can’t remember ever seeing any of those on the road. 

Edited by Steve D UK