Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recommended Posts

How many of you have owned/ridden one then?

Over 100,000,000 sold and the latest one isn't available in the UK.:angry:

img_11-633x452.jpg

There have been times in my life when one of these has been my only way of getting about, and very good they were at doing so (and cheap). :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only rode one once and boy did I feel stupid.

I called into my then father-in-law's house, on the way home from work. 32 miles from work to home. I rode a Yammy FZR 1000 Exup, full face helmet, full leathers with sliders and matching boots all in red and white. He then told me that he had arranged an MOT for his Honda at a garage about 5 miles away, in an hours time. As he wasn't feeling well, he knew I wouldn't mind taking it for him......or so he thought. I was really embarrassed when I rode into the MOT bay and parked next to some of the monsters waiting...............at least it passed.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to own one honestly. Talking short distances/urban areas it should tick all the boxes, except for the one under VANITY. :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Robden said:

I was really embarrassed when I rode into the MOT bay

 

5 minutes ago, gimli said:

VANITY

You posers. :laughing2dw:

I ran for well into the 100,000's on one of these. :huh:

mz-es250-oldtimer-motorrad-02.jpg

You become "invisible" on a Honda Cub. :yes:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2017 at 11:56, gimli said:

I'd like to own one honestly. Talking short distances/urban areas it should tick all the boxes

Not very waterproof though are they especially in the weather we are having at the moment here in the UK

:laugh: :laugh:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2017 at 12:05, WRENCH said:

 

You posers. :laughing2dw:

I ran for well into the 100,000's on one of these. :huh:

mz-es250-oldtimer-motorrad-02.jpg

You become "invisible" on a Honda Cub. :yes:

Aargh the East German 250 2stroke with 21 hp? Or is that the 150.? I actually lashed out and bought the “sports” version of this in 1969 just had an enormous bulge of fuel tank BUT it had......telescopic forks!

as you say did lots of miles and lots of smiles too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Not very waterproof though are they especially in the weather we are having at the moment here in the UK

:laugh: :laugh:

 

Been very warm the last week here in Ro. :beach: Next month we'll probably get a blizzard or something but that's a different story. :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2017 at 10:11, WRENCH said:

How many of you have owned/ridden one then?

Over 100,000,000 sold and the latest one isn't available in the UK.:angry:

img_11-633x452.jpg

There have been times in my life when one of these has been my only way of getting about, and very good they were at doing so (and cheap). :)

I had one, not in the slightest bit glamorous but a good reliable work horse which`ll just keep on going :thumbsup:

As to the MZ, unfortunately I never owned the Earls forked version but I did have a TS250/1 which was a dependable  & comfortable bike to ride :thumbs_up:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

I had one, not in the slightest bit glamorous

How times have changed. Huge cult following now.

60492107c449140898117f9b871dfc0d.jpg

c5a0aa854dfe6e6241e9488bd7634ea6.jpg

and the Australian postie bike has taken many on long distance journeys.

dot41-500x333.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2017 at 10:11, WRENCH said:

How many of you have owned/ridden one then?

Over 100,000,000 sold and the latest one isn't available in the UK.:angry:

img_11-633x452.jpg

There have been times in my life when one of these has been my only way of getting about, and very good they were at doing so (and cheap). :)

First motorbike I ever fell off...  I was 10 years old in the 7 pits park in Sale.  Parked it in a hedge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rode my wife's Peugeot a few times two-up around the narrow farming roads. She loved it. Good for 60 kph and the the 1 gallon tank lasted for ever...

 

Ca. 1980

G4_1.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlueKnight said:

Rode my wife's Peugeot a few times two-up around the narrow farming roads. She loved it. Good for 60 kph and the the 1 gallon tank lasted for ever...

I've got one of these lurking under the bench in my workshop.

Yjg2ZWUyZDFiOWQyYjE3M2I2YTc0NzQ2MDY3OTE4

It has a 1gallon tank mounted on the rear rack. Consumption is not measured in MPG, but GPY. Gallon per year. From memory it's 27cc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the C90 back in the 80s when I rode bikes.  Great workhorse but totally uncool so traded it for a CB250 Honda. I got tired of being wet and cold and always adjusting the rattly cam chain so learned to drive instead.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first bike was a Honda 50 cub, used it for work never did anything to it other than put petrol in it. Utterly reliable swapped it for a bigger bike a BSA bantam which broke down with alarming regularity. :rolleyes:

Being thick I still ride motorbikes to this day and been eyeing up a Honda 90 as a winter project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a Honda SS50 sports moped when i was 16 in 1974.

It was one of the slowest sports mopeds and the only 4 stroke. But, it was reliable, did about 160mpg and had a kickstart instead of having to pedal it to get it going. 

Loved it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turpinr said:

I bought a Honda SS50 sports moped when i was 16 in 1974.

It was one of the slowest sports mopeds and the only 4 stroke. But, it was reliable, did about 160mpg and had a kickstart instead of having to pedal it to get it going. 

Loved it

'Seen the price of them now. :huh:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/honda/ss50/3502865/

My mate bought a new KH 250 triple in the mid seventies, and took the standard exhaust of it and put on a set of expansion chambers. He recently found the original exhaust, still as new, and sold it on eBay for almost twice what he paid for the bike. The classic Japanese market is insane. Just go and have a look at what RG 500'a, NSR 400's, and RD 500's are making.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much did your mate get for the pipes??

I bought a 400/4 in 1996, 19 years after they first came out. 

Id wanted one in 1975 when they came out but i was a 17 year old apprentice and struggled to pay for the RD200 that i had. 

I bought the 'waterfall' 4 into 1 exhaust system from David Silver @ £200 for the lot but have no idea how dear they are now.

I remember the S1, S1a and KH 250's and the bigger triples too. I can well believe the exhausts are extortionate to buy. 

I was talking to a bloke with a H1 last year and he reckoned he got 12mpg without caning it hahaha thats thirsty. :swoon:

I still love all those 70's bikes but the one I'd really love is the 850 Commando but I'd settle for any of the Jap bikes or British twin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Turpinr said:

How much did your mate get for the pipes??

He got in excess of £1000 for it after eBay had their cut. The guy who bought it was completely over the top about having everything original for his bike, even down to the year of production.

I thrashed an H1 from Dundee to Edinburgh (62miles)and had to stop for fuel three times. :laughing2dw:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

thrashed an H1 from Dundee to Edinburgh (62miles)and had to stop for fuel three times. :laughing2dw:

Hahaha i can believe it. 

I had a go on one once and wondered what all the fuss was about but found out later it had a hole in the middle piston. 

That bloke's i was talking to had two steering dampers on it and the forks were the same diameter as my mountain bike's, no wonder they didn't handle. 

Your mate did well on that deal. When i got my RD200 in 1975 it was £410 and 250's were about a £100 dearer. 

All those triples were charismatic bikes. I miss the smell of 2 stroke oil. :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2018 at 09:07, Turpinr said:

I bought a Honda SS50 sports moped when i was 16 in 1974.

It was one of the slowest sports mopeds and the only 4 stroke. But, it was reliable, did about 160mpg and had a kickstart instead of having to pedal it to get it going. 

Loved it

I to I had a green ss50 think it was 5-speed mates had fs1e and Suzuki ap50 we went all over the northeast on them had the head done three times 1st moped was a freebie from my uncle a puch 50  one seat job 50p lasted a month.

On 1/7/2018 at 10:38, WRENCH said:

'Seen the price of them now. :huh:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/honda/ss50/3502865/

My mate bought a new KH 250 triple in the mid seventies, and took the standard exhaust of it and put on a set of expansion chambers. He recently found the original exhaust, still as new, and sold it on eBay for almost twice what he paid for the bike. The classic Japanese market is insane. Just go and have a look at what RG 500'a, NSR 400's, and RD 500's are making.

that's the same colour as mine in the link I sold mine for £40.00 A PETROL TANK DRIVER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had a few of them in my time in 50, 70 and 90cc versions but I also had a Yamaha V80 which was a sort of copy of the Honda with a two-stroke engine and was a fair bit nippier than the Hondas from what I recall. I bought it off a bloke who was initially impressed with the performance but it gradually got slower and slower. He didn’t know about cleaning out the exhaust baffles on a two stroke. It looked like this but my one, I kid you not, had a raised backrest for the pillion which, thinking back, could have come off of a Rayleigh chopper!

39_D894_EE-_F623-4103-8_F1_F-17_A5_CED73

Edited by Steve D UK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2017 at 10:11, WRENCH said:

How many of you have owned/ridden one then?

Over 100,000,000 sold and the latest one isn't available in the UK.:angry:

img_11-633x452.jpg

There have been times in my life when one of these has been my only way of getting about, and very good they were at doing so (and cheap). :)

Hi WRENCH.

I remember as a kid living in Stockton -on -Tees. The C70 and C90's were everywhere. Used for commuting to and from work by lots of people. Then DVLA /C what ever it was back then changed the rules and introduced the CBT type of stuff. They seemed to disappear literally over night. My friend had one that he let me have a thrash (thrash in the loosest terms of course) about on around the streets. I used to think it was fast as a kid. Happy days.:)   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/10/2017 at 10:12, WRENCH said:

How times have changed. Huge cult following now.

60492107c449140898117f9b871dfc0d.jpg

c5a0aa854dfe6e6241e9488bd7634ea6.jpg

and the Australian postie bike has taken many on long distance journeys.

dot41-500x333.jpg

The minimalist beauty of what is hiding under all of that plastic. I bet my mate wished he knew this at the time. (Top two photo's):)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

About Us

The Watch Forum started in 2001 as a forum for RLT Watches customers. Since then it has grown into a world wide community of watch enthusiasts and a large resource for all types of horology.

Contact Us

Email : admin@thewatchforum.co.uk

Phone: 07762 569 999
×