• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Walter the softy

Learning about Seiko's

Just joined the forum as I have started reading up on Seiko's after deciding that I quite fancy starting to collect a couple more watches. I own a non date Sub that I bought new but will never be able to spend that kind of money again but really like looking at watches, finding out about them etc, however never really looked at Seiko before. I don't have huge amounts of money to spend and fancy adding one to my very small collection.

Question - how old would this be and does it look genuine and a clean watch?

zOnWOiV.jpg

Hi Walter the Softy.

The bezel on the Seiko 5 sports looks like it has some damage just above the three o'clock on the outside edge, it might just be the light. I prefer the colour of the top one, but prefer the style of the bottom one. Both nice watches. There is plenty on the internet about Seiko watch movements if you are interested in learning about them. I have a couple of Seiko's that i absolutely love.  Back to you question, I guess it comes down to personal preference.  

Regards, Paul.

The orange dial Seiko may be quartz but is older than the black dial automatic. The rather intriguing quartz dive watch bears the "typhoon"mark for the Suwa factory on the dial in the far right 3 o'clock position, and I believe that it was made at the Suwa-Seikosha factory between about 1980 and 1985. Note that the watch has tritium lume. I am not sure exactly sure of the date of the black dial Seiko 5 watch, but I am pretty certain it is considerably later in date than the Suwa Seiko model with the orange dial. I have given you some ideas of these two watches which you can follow-up on line - both watches can be dated accurately by their serial numbers and you can obtain this information online.

There are, justifiably, many collectors of Seiko watches and we have a number of knowledgable members here on the Forum who know more about the Seiko brand than myself. I do hope you enjoy your Forum membership and hope that your quest for knowledge will be fully satisfied.:)

• Like 1

Thanks for the above replies, discounted the top one and just trying to decide whether to buy the orange one as it's 1980 and I like it more. Seller assures me it's 100% genuine, serviced and untampered with.

What should I look for if I wanted a watch classed as a 'classic' Seiko 70's automatic diver?

Didn't buy the orange one in the end as it went for £215 plus post from Canada which was a bit too much the week before pay day. Learnt lots reading up though so thanks for the replies and I will pick another up I'm sure.

That orange Seiko is lovely. Funny, orange and diver are two things I would individually dislike, but that just works. More temptation.....!